Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lagavulin Doublewood 1988?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Lagavulin Doublewood 1988?

Postby mithril » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:19 am

I found this on the KWM site today and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Is this Lagavulin Distillers Edition under another name?

mithril
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:11 am

Sure looks like it. "Doublewood" appears to be an invention of KMW. I would imagine that Balvenie has that trademarked.
Deactivated Member

Postby mithril » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:34 am

Oddly enough Willow Park also lists the Lagavulin 1988 as "Doublewood". Based on the pictures I've found of the packaging it does say "Double Matured" on the box and bottle so perhaps someone with the importer entered the whisky incorrectly into the database and that's why it's showing under this name. Odd.

Either way, assuming this to be the 1988 DE, when compared to the regular 16yr expression is it worth picking a bottle up for $130?
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:00 am

Is that the BC price, or Alberta? Seems high--the SAQ in Quebec has it for $99. But if you are a Lagavulin lover, you'll want to try it at least once.

I'm never surprised by careless errors like "Doublewood" in the liquor industry--not everyone who is making such entries is really into whisky, after all, and even some who are are less than diligent. I can see someone thinking "doublewood" is an accepted generic term.
Deactivated Member

Postby mithril » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:01 am

Damn, can't read my own notes. The $130 I mentioned is the AB price for Ardbeg Uigeadail, the Lagavulin "Doublewood" is $89 + GST.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:28 am

The Lagavulin Distillers Edition has had many issues - (I have some f1980 and 1986 bottlings)... and as Mr. T points out the stores aren't always aware of what they have...so as a result they may not change or update their listings... so as each rendition gets replaced their inventory listings might remain stagnant...

That being said - I would think you wouldn't be disappointed with whatever version. Load up and enjoy...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:28 pm

I say buy it and enjoy! I think the DE is better than the regular 16. As others have said, it also says Double Matured on the label...Plenty of peat and smoke, but a good amount of sherry to balance it all out. A Great Drink!

Good luck. :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder