Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Dating a bottle of Teacher's Highland Cream

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Teacher's Highland Cream

Dating a bottle of Teacher's Highland Cream

Postby jinenjo » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:45 pm

As much as I love whiskey, this is not about "going out" on a date with a malt.

I recently picked up a presumably older bottle of Teacher's, and want to find the estimated age of bottling it is. I'm interested because Murray talks so highly about Teachers and how it used to be much greater a blend than it is now.

What is curious is in his Whisky Bible he lists it as having an ALC/Vol amount of 40%. My bottle is 43% abv.

The back label says: "Sole U.S. Importer, Hiram Walker and Sons, Inc. Farmington Hills, Michigan"

Any hints from you?

Cheers,
Lear

--The whisky is delicious, by the way.
jinenjo

Re: Dating a bottle of Teacher's Highland Cream

Postby vitara7 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:55 pm

jinenjo wrote:As much as I love whiskey, this is not about "going out" on a date with a malt.

i dont know... some of the ehem, dogs, ive been on dates with in my time i can think of worse dates than a bottle of whisky... at least it would be cheaper and wouldnt be any whinging and moaning.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:58 pm

What evidence do you have that it is "older"?

I'm sure that anyone who could help you would like to see a photo, as well.
Deactivated Member

Postby jinenjo » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:01 pm

Just that it was dusty, found in a small retailer where I assumed it sat for at least a few years, and the ABV thing...

The story is I have been "dusty bottle" hunting American whiskies mostly. There are brands that have been bought out by larger conglomerates, where the older original labels can be found with much better whisky in them.

I'm wondering if the same thing happens with dusty Scotch. For example, doesn't Fortune Brands own Teacher's now? When was it acquired?

Just some ponderings. For all I know this could be a 6 month old bottle.

Cheers.
Image[/img]
jinenjo

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:38 pm

The tasting note on this website shows it at 43%. On the whole, would expect a 43% bottling to be newer than a 40% bottling, although I can't say specifically in this case. Haven't found a photo of a 375ml, but yours doesn't look much different from this. This one does say 40% though, doesn't it? It's possible that the 43% is for the American market. Haven't found anyone yet that admits to selling this, but will keep digging.

My JM Bible has gone missing again--I obviously don't consult it much!--so can't check there. Which edition are you looking at?

Edit: Now that I look at them side-by-side, there is quite a difference in the labels. Will look around some more.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:53 pm

Unable so far to find a photo of a 375ml bottle. However, all references I find say 86 proof or 43%.
Deactivated Member

Postby jinenjo » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:29 pm

Well after getting some help from the folks at Straightbourbon.com and further checks with Wikipedia, the bottle seems to date from the late '80s.

The history of buy-outs and corporate actions make it somewhat confusing to me, but according to the dates. Hiram-Walker imported it after the Allied Lyons purchase. Then in 1987 Olympia and York had bought up the vast majority of Hiram Walker stock.

Finally, 2005 was when Pernod Ricard took over and gave the overlap to Fortune Brands and Diageo.

Confusing.

I could use a slug of the Cream... :P
jinenjo

Postby vitara7 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:00 am

just drink it and be done with it :wink:
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:35 am

vitara7 wrote:just drink it and be done with it :wink:

That's damn good advice. Or would be, prefaced with "invite us over".
Deactivated Member

Postby jinenjo » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:55 am

Ok, how's next friday for ya? 8)
jinenjo

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:59 am

Next Friday is great. Alas, I will be elsewhere. I'll bet there's someone here within shouting distance, though.
Deactivated Member

Postby bond » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:04 am

Curiously enough, I pulled out a three-fourth empty bottle of Teachers last night. Dunno if it was the effects of oxidation but I just could not take more than a couple of swigs.

Added it to my wife's glass of Baileys Irish Cream and she managed to finish my dram.

Sorry to throw a dampener on the proposed tasting but this was just too much of a coincidence
bond
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Teacher's Highland Cream

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder