Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New Bowmore Distillery bottling from 1964

General chat and talk about whisky.

New Bowmore Distillery bottling from 1964

Postby adogranonthepitch » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:53 pm

... heard from a reliable source there will be a new OB Bowmore from 1964 launched from the distillery.

timescale ... soon

... no further details.
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:56 pm

better start saving them .... :?
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:07 pm

I think they' re releasing two from that year. A first-fill sherry cask and a second-fill sherry cask. If they are the ones I tasted at teh distillery, they are stunning. The nicest whisky I've ever tasted. I don't know which one is better.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby r900p » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:21 pm

I've never tried Bowmore, perhaps i should be enlightened, but i doubt by this particular bottle.

How old are the black bowmores, this isn't another i take it, sorry if its a silly question but just never thought of bowmore.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:46 am

r900p wrote:I've never tried Bowmore, perhaps i should be enlightened, but i doubt by this particular bottle.

How old are the black bowmores, this isn't another i take it, sorry if its a silly question but just never thought of bowmore.

Rob

Rob do yourself a favour and try the 17 before it dissappears. Also the Cask Strength is an excellent dram.

:)
les taylor

Postby r900p » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:16 am

Might do that Les, may get two if i like it, just hope they are still around.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:31 am

r900p wrote:Might do that Les, may get two if i like it, just hope they are still around.

Rob

Rob the Bowmore website has both. LFW has the casl strength. You don't need to pay the high prices for the screen printed labels. The paper labels are fine.

:)
les taylor

Postby corbuso » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:46 pm

Aidan wrote:I think they' re releasing two from that year. A first-fill sherry cask and a second-fill sherry cask. If they are the ones I tasted at teh distillery, they are stunning. The nicest whisky I've ever tasted. I don't know which one is better.

But the price will be quite hefty.
The previous 1964 were sold for £1200, so I am wondering what will be the price for the 2007 version. Something like £1500+ or much more?

Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby r900p » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:06 pm

Wow, £1500 for one bottle, i thought spending £350 was a lot. I suppose the value will rise though.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:31 pm

r900p wrote:Wow, £1500 for one bottle, i thought spending £350 was a lot. I suppose the value will rise though.

I'm not sure that this is a certainty. Recent super-expensive bottlings - I'm thinking here of Ardbeg 1965, Bruichladdich 40yo and Glenfarclas 40yo have hardly set the auction houses on fire. These are on sale at the Whisky Exchange for £2000 each - which is also the ballpark figure for Black Bowmores right now. Would collectors really value a couple of Bowmore 1964s more highly than the Black Bowmore?

I'm not saying that these whiskies won't appreciate in value, but just that it is not a certain thing.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:22 pm

They did a good job setting the prices, then. When it's too low, the bottles sell very fast, and auction prices climb sharply, to what the market will bear. I'd rather see the distillery get that money.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:29 pm

Ardbeg got the price of their 1965 right because they did sell all their product - although I suspect that many of their buyers did so in the expectation of instant profit. If that was the case, it was a one shot trick. They'd not be able to repeat it.

In terms of the other super-high prices, I'm not sure the distilleries have got the price right as the bottles don't seem to be selling. There seem to be ever more of the super-aged products on the market at ever higher prices. I know that there is an element of advertising - my whisky must be good because there is a bottle in TWE at £10000! - but they must also want to shift some product. I have a pet theory that the market is prepared to bear around £400 for a new bottle of whisky. Perhaps £700 for an exceptionally rare bottle, but very seldom more than that for a newly released whisky.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:19 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head there Nick... But I suppose from an marketing & advertising point of view these super super premium bottles do garner quite a bit of talk and interest and maybe that's enough to justify the price. And maybe they don't care whether they sell or not...

I concur with Les too try thy 17yo it's a cracker....

I'm heading to Islay in October maybe be they'll let us taste the '64 :angel:

but I won't hold my breath :sleep:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:32 pm

I've said before that I think it's more important to the distillery for these types of bottlings to be seen rather than sold, or at least sold quickly. When you think of it, the income generated by such a limited bottling is a drop in the barrel compared to umpty zillion bottles of 10yo.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:51 pm

Agreed that they would want their bottles to be seen and not necessarily sold out quickly. But at the same time, they don't want to see the bottles being sold at a discount or below RRP in auctions. Moreover, shops are going to be reluctant to stock too many bottles that take shelfspace but don't sell. They would be able to cope with three or four, perhaps, in order to generate conversation. But more than that, and they are losing the profit that a steady flow of 10yo would generate.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:33 pm

Three or four? I would think in most cases one, and only in certain upscale-kind of shops. It's a showpiece. But even so, you make good points.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:08 pm

theres a shop i know that still has the £1000 bowmore think its the 64 and the £5000 one, think it was the 58, and they have been there for years...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder