Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenmorganie Update

General chat and talk about whisky.

Glenmorganie Update

Postby WhiskyBrat » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:26 pm

WhiskyBrat
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:35 pm

The bottles don't look that bad. I expected them to look worse. The labels look alright too, but the names look silly - at best! "Nectar c'Or? Give me a break!
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:38 pm

they do look quite classy... but does it justify the extra £10 a bottle? i dont think so, and when the price goes up i wont be buying any.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:56 pm

They do look very classy and as I'm a great fan of the Portwood as it's 46% and using older Base spirit in it. I definetly will give it a go. If I like that I'll try the others. Its always good to support new things if they are good. That's what I think.

:)
les taylor

Postby vitara7 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:01 pm

not really a "neew thing" though is it? its like putting lipstick on a pig i think.

ill be honest, i do drink a few bottles of glenmorangie, but i get given a lot of whisky from clients etc for going above and beyond and all that crap, but i wouldnt go buy it before, so even less likley to do so now.

now i recon ill be getting more glenfiddich from folk as itll be cheaper. :P
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:07 pm

Hi there,

looks like a range of brand new cognacs to me. Do you have more info on the cruelties The Herald reported?

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby WhiskyBrat » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:18 pm

Do you have more info on the cruelties The Herald reported?

Press release will be tomorrow but suffice to say the article was 'inaccurate'.
Last edited by WhiskyBrat on Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiskyBrat
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:28 pm

the http://www.glenmorangie.com web site is down with a message saying new website soon.

wonder if theyll be doing the shop up with a couple of special bottlings per chance.... would be good.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:34 pm

vitara7 wrote:not really a "neew thing" though is it? its like putting lipstick on a pig i think.

ill be honest, i do drink a few bottles of glenmorangie, but i get given a lot of whisky from clients etc for going above and beyond and all that crap, but i wouldnt go buy it before, so even less likley to do so now.

V7 if you want the new Glenmo as gifts you will just have to a little more going above and beyond and all that. Otherwise you will get stuck with the Glenfiddich. Have you heard though their is to be a new Glenfiddich :wink:
les taylor

Postby Spirit of Islay » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:44 pm

Don't worry V7 , there isn't £10 going on a bottle ......
But there is a hike in ABV on the finishes all up to 46% and UCF , tho why they haven't done it with the 10yo is beyond me , the SMWS Glenmo's i've tried have been great at CS so a rise in ABV would have done it a world of good .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:20 pm

Great! 46% UCF for a Portwood Glenmo? One of my favourites, esp. a few years back!

Probably keeping the 10 as is for marketing reasons...it's such a successful whisky that it's no doubt aimed at the MOR whisky buyer. Let's face it, it's probably the 2nd most "known" malt to non-afficionados after Glenfiddich.

...and still a lovely drop.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:01 pm

les taylor wrote:
vitara7 wrote:not really a "neew thing" though is it? its like putting lipstick on a pig i think.

V7 if you want the new Glenmo as gifts you will just have to a little more going above and beyond and all that. Otherwise you will get stuck with the Glenfiddich. Have you heard though their is to be a new Glenfiddich :wink:

the work i do the buggers should be giving me bottles a lot better than glenmorangies....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:15 am

les taylor wrote:They do look very classy and as I'm a great fan of the Portwood as it's 46% and using older Base spirit in it. I definetly will give it a go. If I like that I'll try the others. Its always good to support new things if they are good. That's what I think.

:)

And in the USA it'll have an age statement! In any case when I read the news report I thought, oh cr*ap but now that I've seen the bottles I really like them. As long as the whisky stays the same or improves.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:25 am

So it sounds like an extra $20 cdn (10GBP) for an extra 6% abv + some fancy packaging. I thought the Glenmorangie Portwood was underpriced. Not sure how I'd respond to this price hike...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:30 am

I agree with most of the above; the new bottles turned out to be really quite handsome - even if the names still seem a bit silly.

Of course we are looking at a promotional photo - probably photoshopped five ways to sunday to bring out the highlights and such. :o
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:06 am

All looks good to me - Portwood going UCF and 46% ABV sounds right up my street.

Someone was recently telling me tho that the '16 men of Tain' is not really true any longer now as there is one female member of the crew!

Coverage in the Hoots'mon today:

http://heritage.scotsman.com/topics.cfm ... 1300312007
Leither
Gold Member

Postby bond » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:10 am

The bottles look quite trendy. More on the lines of the re-packaging that one would expect from a blend.

Given some links to tradition/heritage that one has come to expect from established distilleries, this is a departure from that.

And yes, the names are ridiculous.
bond
Gold Member

Postby ryoma » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:32 pm

The page http://www.glenmorangie.com is up and running again...

BUT: To enter it you need to fill in your email-address! :evil:
Therefore my urge to enter the site just vaporised...
ryoma

Postby vitara7 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:30 pm

the glenmorangie web site isnt up and running, thats mearly a holding page for now.

it says the new site will be up and running in october.

the email address part is just they will send an email to the address you put in there to let you know when the site is up and running.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby WhiskyBrat » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:29 pm

They new Glenmorangie site will not go live until October.

Replacing the Wood Finish Range, a new range – Glenmorangie Extra Matured – has been introduced. This is a range of three expressions of Glenmorangie that, following an initial maturation of at least ten years in ex-bourbon casks, are then extra matured for an additional period in specially selected, high quality casks that previously held Port, Sherry or Sauternes wine. These expressions are bottled at 46% ABV and non chill-filtered to enhance their taste and mouthfeel.

The Gaelic language of Scotland has inspired the choice of names for Glenmorangie’s new range – Glenmorangie Lasanta, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban and Glenmorangie Nectar D'Òr.

Glenmorangie Lasanta - extra matured in Spanish Oloroso Sherry casks. Lasanta means “warmth” and “passion” in Gaelic, and this whisky has deep flavours of toffee, raisins and walnuts

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban - extra matured in Port pipes. Ruban - the Gaelic for “ruby” - describes the ruby colour of this malt that is rich and chocolaty with a complex balance of sweet and dry flavours

Glenmorangie Nectar D'Òr - extra matured in the very best French Sauternes wine barriques, with key flavour notes of lemon and syrup, Nectar - the drink of the Gods! The French and Gaelic word “Or” is used to reflect the deep golden colour of this whisky.
WhiskyBrat
Bronze Member

Postby shoganai » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:03 am

Any Glenmorangies from the old range that are particularly worth picking up?

In a few weeks, I will be in the vincinity of a store that usually stocks a few of them. I don't remember which ones (I'm pretty sure they have port, sherry, mediera, and one more that isn't the standard 10), but I was there earlier this month and they had several of each so I'm sure they won't run out.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:18 pm

In Sainsbury's this morning. No 15yo in stock. No Golden Rum Finish in stock. A couple of bottles of Port Wood Finish at around £20.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:51 pm

i got the last 15yo at the sainsburys in blackhall edinburgh, well, at £18.99 why not?

they had none of the golden rum stuff either, and when i asked if they were getting more in, they said they didnt think so.

so if you see any of them at those prices in other stores, grab them quick!
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:02 pm

Apart from 10yo, the only Glenmorangie in Sainsbury's today was Port Wood Finish at £20.99. Is that a good price ?
Deactivated Member

Postby WhiskyBrat » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:31 pm

Thats a pretty good price for the PWF Glenmo they usually sit around £34 but as they are now treated as discontinued stock the supermarkets will be clearing for the new range.

It's a nice dram also for a 12 YO very creamy after the American taste dies down. Spoke to someone once who called this 'an excellent puddding Whisky' he used it in his creme brulee.
WhiskyBrat
Bronze Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:10 pm

Yesterday at the Whisky Fringe i had a try of the new 10yo , it had a bit more oomph than the current one ( something to do with more Artisan type casks going into it ) . Also had the new Sauterne Finish which was pretty good i must say (not being a finishing fan....) . Also had a wee try of a Margaux Cask Finish , which was very good , on par with the Tain L'Hermitage .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:01 pm

eelbrook wrote:In Sainsbury's this morning. No 15yo in stock. No Golden Rum Finish in stock. A couple of bottles of Port Wood Finish at around £20.

Spoke to Annabel Meikle at the whisky fringe and she told me that the 15 and Golden Rum finish are being phased out so pick up what you can.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:15 pm

Panic, panic, panic !!!! No more "Golden Rum Finish". And no more "15yo". These both feature in my personal Top 10.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:49 pm

so anyone any idea if the 15yo and the 18yo's are going to be re branded? if so what to? or are the packagings just going to be changed on them?
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby WhiskyBrat » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:43 pm

New bespoke sculpted bottles have been introduced across the range including Glenmorangie Originally the flagship Ten Years Old expression of the single malt. This product has been refined, with the focus on exceptional whisky quality assured by including a significant proportion of Glenmorangie which has been matured in specially made, air-dried/slow growth oak casks. This accentuates the softness and sweetness of the complex flavors of the Company's most famous whisky.

In addition, Glenmorangie 18 Years Old and 25 Years Old will have their own individual bespoke identity.
WhiskyBrat
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:47 pm

what about the 15yo though....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:35 pm

vitara7 wrote:what about the 15yo though....

Annabel told me that it is being phased out.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:45 pm

if they do away with the 15yo, they'll be shoving up the price of the 18yo, so wont that leave not only a bit price range gap but also a gap in the range?

the wood finish is about 12yo then the next will be 18yo, seems strange when you see everyone else trying to put various age staments on the market.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:18 pm

The lack of a 15 would leave a gap, compared to GlenLivet and GlenFiddich.

Maybe it didn't sell. That's the only thing I can think of. A shame if that's the case as it was one of the greatest buys ever.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:19 pm

Spoke to my local Sainsbury's today. Also, by phone, to the one where my parents live. Both confirmed that the 15 year old was discontinued a month ago. Also, that the Golden Rum Finish was out of stock.

If I could get either, as a 'dust gatherer' which would be the best bet? I'm guessing the Golden Rum.
Deactivated Member

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder