Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New Macallan Ads

General chat and talk about whisky.

New Macallan Ads

Postby WhiskyBrat » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:50 pm

The Macallan, the malt whisky brand, is rolling out a print campaign this month to push the tipple as a premium “handcrafted” malt.

The Macallan worked with London-based communications agency SHOP, who then commissioned Italian photographer Guido Mocafico to develop a variety of images for the campaign...

click the image below.

WhiskyBrat
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:45 pm

Sometimes advertisements just are begging for some snide comments. Take for instance McDonald's choice to make a "Big & Tasty" burger. The implications here are that your other ones are more like "Small & Nasty".

#6 - The casks - Whatever.

#5 - Spillage - With the price of The Macallan, it is not an irrational fear of spillage.

#4 - The Fine Oaks - Right, who was giving out all these awards?

#3 - To Share - Tis a good thing to share; at worst you've at least got a companion for conversation

#2 - The - Oh, you mean like The Ardbeg.

#1 - Don't - Well, again, look at the price you're spending. What's the point in spending that much if you are not going to enjoy it? There are much more reasonable things to quaff just to get drunk.

Yes, I enjoy the sherry cask whiskies but I can do without any of the Fine Oak series, especially with the prices for the 17, 18 and 21.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby WhiskyBrat » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:32 pm

Personally I think they are executed very well.
Last edited by WhiskyBrat on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiskyBrat
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:53 pm

Ganga wrote:Sometimes advertisements just are begging for some snide comments. Take for instance McDonald's choice to make a "Big & Tasty" burger. The implications here are that your other ones are more like "Small & Nasty".

#6 - The casks - Whatever.

#5 - Spillage - With the price of The Macallan, it is not an irrational fear of spillage.

#4 - The Fine Oaks - Right, who was giving out all these awards?

#3 - To Share - Tis a good thing to share; at worst you've at least got a companion for conversation

#2 - The - Oh, you mean like The Ardbeg.

#1 - Don't - Well, again, look at the price you're spending. What's the point in spending that much if you are not going to enjoy it? There are much more reasonable things to quaff just to get drunk.

Yes, I enjoy the sherry cask whiskies but I can do without any of the Fine Oak series, especially with the prices for the 17, 18 and 21.

Oh Ganga, you're on fire today!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:46 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Oh Ganga, you're on fire today!

:D

I think The Macallan is trying to douse me with the ice in the tumbler. :x What is this? Ballantines? (Vague reference to the "Should I be banned" thread)
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mikeymad » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:20 pm

I liked the picture set, but I was taken back by the Ice. I guess they are trying to be more universal. Instead of using a $150 nosing glass that has been specifically sculptured by olfactory super scientists to fit my nose.

:o

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:58 am

The ads don't say 'premium malt' to me, they are more like a series of ads for a 1970s blend.

The only winners here are the agency. Nice work guys!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:49 pm

Paul A Jellis wrote:The ads don't say 'premium malt' to me, they are more like a series of ads for a 1970s blend.

The only winners here are the agency. Nice work guys!

I agree eventhough the actual pictures are nice the comments are verging on abit childish/laddish and don't give me the impression of a super premium whisky ... :o maybe be I'm just not reading it properly
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:56 pm

The pictures are quite nice. The ice adds depth to the picture but really is a negative for the product. It would be really nice if ad agencies understood the product and the consumer before coming out with these campaigns.

My ultimate interpretation of the add campaign is that the aulde reliable sherry casks are still moving, albeit slower, from the shelves but they're having trouble with the Fine Oak series. Having tried several, I can understand why people don't seem to be rebuying these products.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby vitara7 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:07 pm

i dont like then to be honest, i dont know why i dont like them, just dont like them. maybe there a bit dark and bland, i just cant put my finger on it why i dont like them.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder