Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cataloging a collection

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Cataloging a collection

Postby scimitar » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:50 am

I have been trying to catalog which whisky's I have as my collection is now pushing the 300 point.
I was wondering if anyone knows of any software that actually works for our sort of use. The wine type software available just doesn't fit right for this. Would really love it if could store a photo along with the information about each bottle.

If anyone has any advice / links would help a great deal.

Regards
Scimitar
scimitar

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:53 pm

xcel is jsut as good as anything but you probably have needed to use that from the start .... ah well
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Cataloging a collection

Postby corbuso » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:28 pm

scimitar wrote:I have been trying to catalog which whisky's I have as my collection is now pushing the 300 point.
I was wondering if anyone knows of any software that actually works for our sort of use. The wine type software available just doesn't fit right for this. Would really love it if could store a photo along with the information about each bottle.

If anyone has any advice / links would help a great deal.

Regards
Scimitar

File Maker Pro is working very well for that, and you could do the same with Microsoft access.
Otherwise, to same extend, Iview media could be used for this kind of work, if the photographic aspect is heavy and important for you.
Regards
Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:13 pm

i have a collection of 550+ bottles and the way i do it it through excel in a simple speadsheet form.

i also have a picture of each bottle that i hyperlink into excell so click the bottle name, and you see the picture.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby jcasazza » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:27 pm

is it possible to post the file so others can download it?

I am not very good at makeing excel spreadsheets
jcasazza

Postby corbuso » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:18 pm

vitara7 wrote:i have a collection of 550+ bottles and the way i do it it through excel in a simple speadsheet form.

i also have a picture of each bottle that i hyperlink into excell so click the bottle name, and you see the picture.

Good idea, but the problem with excel, is that is you move the file or the folder, the link is broken and you can not export or share it with someone else (or only the text)...
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:44 pm

ive never tried to export it or that, but i did move all the pictures one time into another drive, and it found them all right away themselfs without me having to rename file paths or that, which was a relief.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:27 pm

Ganga and I use an excel spreadsheet that we have built up over the years. It has everything. I tried to imbed images, but it made the file way too big, but I never thought of having an link to the image. That is a good idea that I will have to explore.

Ours looks like this: sorry for the big picture.

You will see all the standard fields and then a bunch of tabs for the different states of the bottles. The listing is just a summary line that we use for posting or sharing the list.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby scimitar » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:44 pm

Thanks to all for the ideas.
Looks like its the excel route for me as it should be easy to create and maintain, that and I dont want to learn Access.

Regards
Scimitar
scimitar

Postby vitara7 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:31 pm

good luck, it takes a wee bit of time to create and then takes picture of every bottle you have, but its worth it in the end
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:43 am

Almost like a malt fanatic's 'dirty magazine'. Some great ideas.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jan » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:03 pm

Very well organized, Mikey - like it a lot.

Hmmm... think I will expand my simple list into something similar.

Do the listing section get filled out automatically ?
Jan
Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:53 pm

Jan wrote:Do the listing section get filled out automatically ?

Thanks....

Yes, the listing section (the format is based on the Malt Maniacs matrix) is auto generated based on the other fields. There are some other tricks here and there, that just took some time. I would like to automate some other things as well.

I also setup a pivot table in a testing tab that gives me some counts for the sealed stock and the rated distilleries. It helps out when looking at new purchases.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder