Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan 1841 Replica

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Macallan 1841 Replica

Postby Scottie » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:41 pm

Hi
How many Macallan 1841 Replica bottles were produced?
Are they still widely available and if so how much should I pay for one?
Thanks

Scottie
Scottie

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:21 am

Hi Scottie,
I don't know how many were produced, but the whole Replica range includes:

In addition there was a bottling only for Asia which wasn't exactly a replica and not so limited either.
It is called 1851 Inspiration.

The most valuable Replica which generally commands the best prices is the 1874 which TWE currently lists at around €500

The 1841 had an original price of around 90 GBP (€135) and if you can get one at around 100 - 120 GBP then this would be an acceptable price.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:29 pm

MT, do you know what sort of whisky went into those Replicas? Seems sort of random... :?

Thanks.
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:55 pm

the whisky that went into them was non age statment stuff that they mixed all up in an effort to try and copy the styles of whisky that they found in the fake bottles that were ment to be from the year they were replicating.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:49 pm

vitara7 wrote:the whisky that went into them was non age statment stuff that they mixed all up in an effort to try and copy the styles of whisky that they found in the fake bottles that were ment to be from the year they were replicating.

I vaguely remember reading about the fake macallens that was found in Italy and which was used as basis for some or all(?) of the replicas. I have a bottle of the 1861 replica.
So, is it correct to say that I owned a replica of a faked 1861 macallen? I also remember that the tasting notes of these replicas, even though based on face ones, were very good.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:06 pm

your spot on there, what you have is a replica of a fake bottle of macallan.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:28 pm

vitara7 wrote:your spot on there, what you have is a replica of a fake bottle of macallan.

Which would just be silly, save for the fact that the Edrington group knows this -- in fact they knew they were fake before anyone else but the seller!

But it goes beyond silly to become borderline dishonest considering the Edrington group still advertises these copies of fake whisky on their website.

At best, they should withdraw the replicas, realistically they could at least stop promoting their sale on their site and come clean with the whole story. I doubt even this is going to happen. But perhaps you can reconsider your desire to purchase a bottling that is nothing but a testimonial to the short-sighted greed of the owners of the Macallan.
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:33 pm

they also sat on the news for some time that they were fake before letting everyone else know.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:37 pm

Plus they shot Oliver's dog. But you're right, it's beyond silly--in fact it was beyond silly when they charged that much for replicas in the first place, as if it was really old whisky itself. They really ought to have relabeled the stuff entirely. Of course, then the bottles that had escaped relabeling would be really collectible, like the Beatles' Yesterday and Today cover with the meat dolls. There's no end to silliness!
Deactivated Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:51 am

Sheesh... I'm just gonna buy a fake Macallan from Italy then! :wink: :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:42 am

MJ's tasting notes tell a tale:

Michael Jackson

Nose
Incongruously, very fresh. Fudge with vanilla essence and pistachio nuts.
Palate
Silky. Fresh, appetising. sweet but not cloying. Light, fresh, delicate, notes of orange-blossom honey.
Finish
Very gentle acidity gives balancing dryness.
Comment
Delicious whisky, of true sophistication and style. Tasted blindfold, it seems a perfect whisky for today, not an evocation of the past. I would re-package it as 2041.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder