Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New 21yo Lagavulin

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Lagavulin 21 Years Old

New 21yo Lagavulin

Postby Jan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:55 am

Serge has just reviewed an upcoming 21yo Lagavulin over at Whiskyfun

Sounds rather good - has anybody heard when this will be available?

Suspect it will carry an outrageous pricetag - as has become the norm lately :(
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:15 am

Oh I wouldn't doubt it a bit that it'll be a tad on the high side....
but I'll try to get a bottle of it anyway! :lol:

Thanks for the heads-up

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:18 am

Wow, great review! I want one!!!!!!!
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:04 am

5 stars " I want that one. "

:)
les taylor

Postby adogranonthepitch » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:13 am

Back the lorry in guys, this is going to need a palet !
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Ize » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:41 am

I wonder, if 25yo is around 220-230€, could this new 21yo be cheaper? Which would make me want one ... too bad that there is this Lagavulin (or Islay) price tag in these. One could get Glenfarclas 25yo with less than 85€. *sigh* :-/
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Leither » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:18 am

Sounds great - given that it's a limited edition of less than 7,000 botles I would imagine (hope!) that they will make it available only to the 'Friends of the Classic Malts', as per the recent limited edition Talisker 12 from sherry casks (that LFW were acting as distributors) offered within their last friends mailshot.

From memory the last edition of this mailshot, the 'Quaich' which celebrated the 10th anniversary of the FotCM, was around May so I suspect the next edition (assuming 2 per annum) will be in November (also ties in with what Serge says as 'late autumn') and this may well see the launch of the new Lagavulin 21yo.

Indeed I think the May edition of the Quaich gave some hints to look out for more special editions in the near future.

Furthermore with the classic malts being 20 years old next year I would suspect more limited runs from the range during 2008.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:18 pm

This one should be coming to Norway probably in November I'd guess, to be launched at the Oslo Whisky Festival. Perhaps they'll preview it and taste it at the upcoming dinner the 21st of September...
http://www.whiskyfestival.no/master/mat.htm
Di Blasi

Postby lambda » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:47 pm

I seem to recall that, in a recent whiskycast, a representative of diageo said that they will be released in october. Nice strategy.. first everyone is getting excited about it and then they will see them flying off the shelfs in the first days of release (yes, I also want one, no, make that two..).
lambda
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:21 pm

I've just been properly informed regarding this very special bottling, (bottled this past week), from the Oslo Whisky Festival organizer Chris Maile....

It's one of the Diageo Special Releases for 2007, distilled in 1986 when they were at about half production, and aged in a 1st fill sherry cask. 6,642 bottles produced, at a recommended price tag of 110£. Approximately 24-26 bottles should be available through the Vinmonopolet
here in Norway in early November, and sooner to the whisky bars for you all to taste and enjoy!!
Di Blasi

Postby corbuso » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:26 pm

Leither wrote:Sounds great - given that it's a limited edition of less than 7,000 botles I would imagine (hope!) that they will make it available only to the 'Friends of the Classic Malts',

I would be very suprised that I will limited to Friends of the classic malts.

I tasted the pre-vatted one at the distillery, and I can only agree on Serge's rating. A top-class lagavulin sherry. It will sell out very quickly (1-2 months ?)

Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:25 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Approximately 24-26 bottles should be available through the Vinmonopolet

Fantastic - great news!
here in Norway in early November, and sooner to the whisky bars for you all to taste and enjoy!!

Not fantastic at all! I hate when they do that! With so few bottles the horeca businesses snap up the few bottles there is. Why can't they make it available to all giving the ordinary consumer a fair chance of getting hold of a bottle or two :x
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:47 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:Approximately 24-26 bottles should be available through the Vinmonopolet

Fantastic - great news!

Not fantastic at all! I hate when they do that! With so few bottles the horeca businesses snap up the few bottles there is. Why can't they make it available to all giving the ordinary consumer a fair chance of getting hold of a bottle or two :x

Only 24-26 ordinary consumers...many more will get a chance to taste in the bars.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:07 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Only 24-26 ordinary consumers...many more will get a chance to taste in the bars.
Playing devil's advocate are we :P Since when did whisky become democratic 8)
I don't go to bars. When I'm done with 7 long days at work I prefer to enjoy the weekend at home - with a few good whiskies in the evening.
I would think the only sensible thing is to make it available for all instead of giving someone a headstart when there are so few bottles. After all, the importers are so eager to please the wine monopoly to be present in the standard selection so why not cater for the people who after all are the basis of their revenues?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:33 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:I would think the only sensible thing is to make it available for all....

You mean available to you!

:P :P :P
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:46 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:I would think the only sensible thing is to make it available for all....

You mean available to you!

:P :P :P

Of course :D
Mr Fjeld

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:52 pm

So does anybody know what the price will be???

I'll be in Islay in October and doing a tour of Lagavulin so might be available at the distillery then ... hopefully will get a taste as we are doing a tasting there too :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:56 pm

:thumbsup: Looks like I might be the lucky one after all! According to the local "brand ambassador", individual customers over here will get their share and I'm willing to do unspeakable things to be first in line. It's interesting that this Lagavulin is from european oak .
Mr Fjeld

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:51 am

Hi irishwhiskeychaser, the suggested retail price is mentioned at 110£

And for the Norwegian market, again, 24-26 bottles available to the Vinmonopolet shopper. The whisky bars in Norway that were recently recognized by Diageo will have the option to buy additional bottles to sell to our clients. An opportunity to taste before you buy! And taste it before you can buy!!
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:59 am

Di Blasi wrote: And for the Norwegian market, again, 24-26 bottles available to the Vinmonopolet shopper. The whisky bars in Norway that were recently recognized by Diageo will have the option to buy additional bottles to sell to our clients. An opportunity to taste before you buy! And taste it before you can buy!!

According to Chris the 24 - 26 bottles are for sale through the wine monopoly shops. Horeca will have an additional number of bottles. That's good news!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Sherried Malt » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:02 am

Di Blasi wrote:6,642 bottles produced, at a recommended price tag of 110£.

OUCH! For that price, it better be heads and shoulders above the Lagavulin Distiller's Edition, which is a third of the price! :shock:
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:03 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:
Di Blasi wrote: And for the Norwegian market, again, 24-26 bottles available to the Vinmonopolet shopper. The whisky bars in Norway that were recently recognized by Diageo will have the option to buy additional bottles to sell to our clients. An opportunity to taste before you buy! And taste it before you can buy!!

According to Chris the 24 - 26 bottles are for sale through the wine monopoly shops. Horeca will have an additional number of bottles. That's good news!

Bingo!!! Yup, that's the good news indeed! It sounds like a really great bottling!!!
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:14 am

Di Blasi wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:

Bingo!!! Yup, that's the good news indeed! It sounds like a really great bottling!!!

:lol: sorry Jonathan, it seems I misunderstood your last post :lol:
Mr Fjeld

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:25 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:

:lol: sorry Jonathan, it seems I misunderstood your last post :lol:

No problem! I can't tell you how many times I've had to go back and read stuff I misunderstood around here! Hard to keep up sometimes. Either way, this bottling is something to look forward to, along with the other Diageo Special Releases for 2007, but that's for another thread!
Di Blasi

Postby kildalton » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:00 am

Ehm may I ask if You know something (or where I cand find something)about those new bottles? :mrgreen:
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:00 am

I think this bottle will be availble to all through today's fine distributor of single malt scotch ........ Ebay! :roll:
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Skauge » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:54 am

We've received the distillery's tasting notes along with a pic of the bottle, have a look over at onlymalts.com

The other special releases 2007 from Diageo will be covered soon.
Skauge

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:18 am

Wow Skauge! Thanks for the tasting notes and picture. I think it may very well be the highlight of the year this one! This looks like a very very good whisky!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Jan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:52 pm

What it is with you norwegians and onlymalts.com ??

Do you have a direct line to diageo HQ or something?

Great info - thanks for pointing us to it.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:21 am

I haven't read Serge's review yet, but with a price tag of 110GBP, this bottling would want to be considerably better than the 25yo that was released in 2002/2003. That was hideously expensive and a particularly dull dram.

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Lagga 21yo

Postby dapa » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:17 am

Hi!

Any idea on how many bottles will be available in Sweden? And when?
/dapa
dapa

Postby Skye Boy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:49 pm

I believe that it will be priced at roughly $350 in the US when it comes in October. We will only be getting around 150 6 btl cases for the entire country, so not a bad price for something in such short supply.
Skye Boy

Related whiskies : Lagavulin 21 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder