Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Fairly new to SMSW: Highland Park 30yo, and beyond

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Highland Park 30 Years Old

Fairly new to SMSW: Highland Park 30yo, and beyond

Postby K-Mile » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:18 pm

I've been into whisky for a couple of years now, but since friends, knowing that I like whisky, gave me plenty of JW Red Label, Jim Bean, Jameson, Jack Daniels as presents, I never got to really trying and tasting some nice bottles of SMSW. I didn't want to be rude, so I tried to finish every bottle given to me the past years. Not to disrespect the mentioned brands, but I recently decided that these are not why started drinking whisky in the first place.

So I went out last week and bought a bottle of Bowmore 1989 Limited Edition (the bourbon matured) and a Highland Park 18yo from 2007. These tasted pretty good, with the HP as my favorite so far, that I decided it was worth spending money on a good drink (as you all will know :thumbsup: ). I just ordered the HP 30yo (that bottle looks absolutely amazing :shock: ) which will be delivered in a few weeks.

I was just looking for some ideas on how to get the most out of this one. Do you like this 30yo? How does it compare to the HP 18yo?

I want to expand my 'inventory' with some different whiskies to develop my personal taste, so I am also looking for some bottles that will complement the ones I've got so far. Any suggestions?
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:09 pm

Highland Park and Bowmore are two of my favorite single malts.

As you know, Bowmore comes from the island of Islay of which several excellent malts come from. Most people favorite is Ardbeg. I like all of the expressions such as the 10 yr old, Uigeadail, etc. Lagavulin, Laphroag, Bruichladich, Brunnahabein, Caol Ila, Port Ellen are made in Islay. They are noted for peatiness and smoky taste which I like. Dont forget Springbank and Longrow from the nearby island of Campbletown.

Next to my favorite are the ones from the Highlands. Anything that starts with a 'glen' is a good bet. Many members here have more experience than me in this area.

I think there are around 150 single malt distilleries and an equal number of products. So your choice is vast.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:56 pm

Hi K-mile

Welcome to the forums.

Turn away from this path while you still can- it leads to the dark side!

Ok. Not dark exactly. But bloody expensive and your significant other will cast you worried looks. But at lot of fun also - not in the least because one can share the passion with others places like this :lol:

The 30 is not that similar to the 18yo - the 25yo is regards as closer (but better) by most here. I have only had a quick taste at the end of a fair, so won't attempt to describe it - I'm sure somebody more experienced will be along shortly.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:19 pm

Jan wrote:Hi K-mile

Welcome to the forums.

Turn away from this path while you still can- it leads to the dark side!

Ok. Not dark exactly. But bloody expensive and your significant other will cast you worried looks. But at lot of fun also - not in the least because one can share the passion with others places like this :lol:

The 30 is not that similar to the 18yo - the 25yo is regards as closer (but better) by most here. I have only had a quick taste at the end of a fair, so won't attempt to describe it - I'm sure somebody more experienced will be along shortly.

Thanks! Maybe not that dark, but amber colored :-) The money is not that much of a problem, I am used to spending my last euro's on useless but fun hobbies :-)

I will definitely keep an eye out for the more experienced folks here, but I have been reading for a while so I'm starting to get an idea.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:57 pm

I found the one dram of the 30 that I had to be rather dry and woody. Wouldn't mind spending some time with a full bottle, but my impression is that the 25 is much better.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:18 am

I admire you for jumping straight in a getting a 30yo fair play .... however after that maybe you should try a few 12yo of different brands and that will give you a good idea of a host of distilleries and not too hard on the pocket...

Try maybe a Glenrothes, A Dalwhinnie, Scapa, Balblair & even the monster sherry cask strength Aberlour abhunadh ... these are all fairly approachable for a start ...

Good luck with you odessy
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:02 pm

Well, I wasn't sure whether to open it up straight away.

I recently got an Ardberg TEN, and another Bowmore Limited Edition, but now the 1990 Sherry Matured. And I am looking for the Lagavulin 16yo as well. Lots of Islay, will mix it up later on. Will definitely have a look at the distilleries you mentioned.

After I've tried those, I might open up the HP 30yo :)
K-Mile
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Highland Park 30 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder