Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Two distinct Ardbeg 17 bottlings?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg 17 Years Old

Two distinct Ardbeg 17 bottlings?

Postby Jan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:59 am

According to the JM bible, there was two different bottlings made of the 17yo.

How can one distinguish between them?

(I'm pretty sure I have the later release, but as one of my bottles is from the batch the Ardbeg got back from Italy, one never knows...)
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:00 am

Not sure how much this helps Jan, but all recent Ardbeg bottlings by Glenmorangie at Broxburn (in the past 5 years or so AFAIK) have an etched date code in the glass towards the lower edge of the bottle.

For example L7216 would be the 216th day of the year 2007. This is normally followed by something like 15:09 (time of day) then 3ML or 4ML (which I think is the number of the bottling line).

This may be able to help you work out the batch when you compare against others who own an A17, however I can't help you out there.

I find the etched bottled codes very handy as I was able to work out which batch of the Spice Tree, amongst others, I had bought.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:51 pm

Leither - thank you for your helpful reply.

The bootle I was looking at had the code on either side of the protusion on the backside. Quite hard to see, but a flash light and a lot of squinting helped.

It said L30420054ml - So bottled in 2003 I guess

The other bottle had the the code where it was supposed to be - exactly like you described it.

So my questions answered - and as suspected both my bottles are the newer type. (Which I suspect is the only one I have ever tasted.)
Jan
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:04 pm

I believe there was both a volume and an ABV difference between the UK and North American bottlings as well. 43% 750mL in America, 40% 700mL in the UK? There are also comments about two runs, one much less peaty than the other.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:08 pm

Yes, you are right about the Europe/America differences.

Two runs a mentioned in the Whisky Bible, which more or less confirms it. (JM must be considered an insider on the bottling right?)
Jan
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:10 pm

Yes, I believe JM helped blend or at least select casks for the 17yo Ardbeg so I'd consider him an insider.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:56 am

Yes, Jim Murray assisted with the concoction of the first release of 17yo, something that he's very quick to remind people of! :wink:

According to "legend", a bit of the so-called Kildalton stock (unpeated Ardbeg from 1981) went into the vatting, so the first release was certainly not as smoky/peaty as the usual Ardbeg style.

Owing to the long closures and periods of non-production, the holes in the stock range meant that the 17yo was always going to be a limited product.

I understand the Nam Beist bottling is intended as a replacement for the 17yo.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Re: Two distinct Ardbeg 17 bottlings?

Postby Scotchio » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:51 pm

Wasn't there something about the box opening also? I have a bottle which I thought was old stock but I'm not so sure now. It has the 1977 included with the tasting notes card, I have a feeling the old bottles had the 75 on the card, the opening unfolds as one piece whereas I think the old was 2 flaps and a separate fold down top, the printed number on my bottle is11904, it isnt etched, the etched number looks like L 00w13.
I know with the minis there is a difference in bottle shape, I think the dumpier one is the older one but I'd have to check.
Can anyone confirm whether mine is the old or newer stock.
cheers
Steve
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:57 pm

The Ardbeg 17's that I own come from two distinct years. Of course, this may just be what was received in the Houston area. On my bottles, if you look below the rear label you will see an etched bottling code. It can be difficult to see, you may need to clean finger prints off and sometimes using a flashlight helps. The two years are 1998 and 2002. For the 1998, below the rear label on the right side you will see an L that is larger than the rest of the code. To the right of the L you will see something like 8 035 4ML 14:17 in two lines. The 8 designates 1998, the 035 indicates the 35th day of the year, the 4ML is a designation for Ardbeg (Glenmorangie uses 3ML, may be two different bottling lines as suggested earlier), and the 14:17 designates the time. For the 2002 bottling the code is below the rear label just to the left of the dimple and can be difficult to read (especially if part of the code is etched onto the dimple). It looks like L2 030 1703, all the lettering the same size and on one line. The code designations are similar to the 1998 bottling with the 2 indicating 2002.

Similar codes are used for older Glenmorangie bottles. Hope this helps - Bob
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Postby lohssanami » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:47 pm

Bumping an old thread, but for a little different topic.

Do any of you remember what you paid when this was available in the retail market? Was the price comparable to the Nam Beist? Closer to the 10 in price?

Since I starting drinking SM's after A17 left the stores, I was just wondering for trivial interest.

Thanks for any thoughts.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:37 pm

I seem to remember (late 90's - early '00's) the Ardbeg 17yo selling for around $70 or so and the '77, a 24yo selling for about $85. I bought my last two '77's for just $75 apiece at a close-out sale in Providence. I closed it alright! 8)
It kinda sucks to see the Beist, a 16yo selling for an average of $110 today.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Jobi » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:39 am

Wave wrote:It kinda sucks to see the Beist, a 16yo selling for an average of $110 today.

I agree. I only tasted the Beist once, but the interesting sweet/peat combination was really memorable. The price has put me off buying a bottle of it, though.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:55 am

Thanks for the info on the 17.

The Beast does seem to be a bit expensive, but if it tastes good enough to buy...then the price is right. However, you can get 3 bottles of the 10 right now at Shopper's Vineyard, at least thru the end of April, for the same price.

The hard part is finding a 17 for under $200, and since I've never tried it, I can't get myself to pay that much. Maybe I'll change my mind...who knows?

Thanks again...
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ardbeg 17 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder