Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Compass Box Oak Cross

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Compass Box Oak Cross

Compass Box Oak Cross

Postby Secesh » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:11 pm

Anyone tried this? I had a taste earlier this week. My first impression was that it was very smooth and enjoyable. After a while though the taste seemed to change and become too sweet.
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby shoganai » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:28 pm

I had a dram at a tasting about a year ago. I don't remember specifics but I think it was my favorite of the 3 Compass Box's they had (also Aslya & Peat Monster).
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby jcasazza » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:08 pm

This is one of my favorites, i like it. smooth, light. of course it all depends on my mood what i drink
jcasazza

..how do I keep up? Emigrate?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:37 pm

Honestly, I've never even heard of this offering before. I was thinking I was keeping up with you folks when I scooped an Asyla this summer. Wrong again!

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:21 am

Tried it yesterday courtesy of Matt at TWE. It's fantastic you need just a tiny bit of water to open it up. It is sweet but not to sweet we really enjoyed it. The ladies liked it to.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:30 am

I used some Oak Cross and also some Eleuthera in my last series of tastings and the Oak Cross was extremely popular.
As already mentioned it is a good smooth whisky with fine array of flavours, certainly not heavy and yes, just a tiny drop of water will help open it up.
But not too much water.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:31 pm

I didn't care for the Oak Cross, I found it too soft and nothing about it sparked my tastebuds. Didn't think of adding water though. Of course, the sample I had was at the same tasting as the Yamazaki 18 and the Compass Box Flaming Heart. Both really flavorful whiskies.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Secesh » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:39 pm

I was able to try Monster and Hedonism on Saturday. And my wife tried Oak Cross as well. I think she liked them all with Oak Cross and Hedonism being close for favorite.
From my perspective Monster was far from it but maybe it is a good introduction to Islay malts? Hedonism was pretty interesting and I will probably buy a bottle.
I also tried JW Gold and although I think it's the best of their lineup I probably won't be rushing out to the store to pick up a bottle.
Secesh
Bronze Member

Re: Compass Box Oak Cross

Postby harriss88 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:31 am

Oak Cross is the real deal of the "limited editions" they've put out. clean, consitent, crisp delicious - a fine dram. but i feel i'm really just running in place until some figures out how to get Juveniles in the USA. until we taste that we really can't complete any vertical test worth it's salt.
harriss88@aol.com
harriss88

Related whiskies : Compass Box Oak Cross

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder