Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig 10 new to peat

General chat and talk about whisky.

Laphroaig 10 new to peat

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:08 pm

I have decided to move onto SMs from other regions of Scotland other than Speyside in order to acquire a taste for them. This includes the iodine peaty tastes prevalent in many offerings.

I decided to buy a bottle of Laphroaig 10 as this is discontinued in Ontario and wanted to pick up one of the remaining bottles.

What should I expect from this SMS? How should I approach it? What is the best way to drink this one? This will be the first peaty bottle I have bought.

What are your opinions on this bottle?

Thanks
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:25 pm

Drink it neat. It is only 40% so it needs no water IMO. Pour it, enjoy the nose, enjoy the palate and the finish. You will find it peaty and iodiney but after a while you will come to appreciate the taste even if you do not enjoy it the first time you have it. These days, Laphroaig 10yo and Lagavulin 16yo are good introductions into peaty islays where once they were the strongest whiskies you could buy.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:40 pm

I know the exact date of my first Laphroaig 10. Jul 12 2002. I was celebrating something and was at a bar with a decent single malt selection and decided to get one of each. This is back when I still took it on the rocks (the waitress refused to serve me the Glenlivet 18 on the rocks). But anyway, when I got the the Laphroaig I tried to send it back because I thought there was something wrong with it. It tasted like the stuff they use to numb your gums at the dentist. But worse. THe waitress laughed at me. Bitch.

It wasn't until 3 years later at the 2005 Philadelphia Whisky Festival that I tried it again and liked it. Now it's one of my favorites.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:56 am

I can honestly say that right now as I drink it, it is surprisingly pleasant.

I am glad, but sad, that I managed to buy one of the last bottles sold in Ontario. :(
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:47 pm

I'm glad you like it. I'm still not 100% sure if it is just my faded memory or changing tastes or if the malt itself is now weaker but I think it used to be more powerful. Now it is a nice iodiney dram but not a real monster.

There is still quite a bit left for anyone who wants to stock up. As well, some Quarter Cask is now reappearing in inventory, unlike Ardbeg 10yo and Bunnahabhain 12yo which are still just empty stock numbers.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:02 am

hpulley wrote:I'm glad you like it. I'm still not 100% sure if it is just my faded memory or changing tastes or if the malt itself is now weaker but I think it used to be more powerful. Now it is a nice iodiney dram but not a real monster.

There is still quite a bit left for anyone who wants to stock up. As well, some Quarter Cask is now reappearing in inventory, unlike Ardbeg 10yo and Bunnahabhain 12yo which are still just empty stock numbers.

Harry

I too, bought a bottle of the 10 a few weeks ago and opened it the other day. I have to agree with Harry. I haven't had the 10 for about 7 years now and this was much softer than I remember. The aroma and flavour were still there but I found it smoother in my mouth. Closer to a Lag 16 than I remembered. Close enough that I would consider buying another bottle before its gone here. (And saving the $40.00 difference over the Lag.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Laphroaig 10 yo

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:26 am

E:
Sample by setting up several drams, one neat, one with 1/2 tsp of water and one with a tsp of water, taste the three of them and see how you enjoy it most, than adjust the remainder to match your personal preference.

I always sample a new dram neat just to see what's there and then dabble with water if need be. It's rarely needed.

The Lappy 10 may be discontinued but I'm looking forward to a steady supply of it's replacement, the QC! That being said, there's a bottle of 10 yo sitting, safely tucked away, waiting for my next run to the LC. Enjoy your newest acquisition!

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:39 am

Thanks MP, think I enhoy this now more than many of the Speysiders I have tried. I will use your method to sample all future whiskies! :)
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Re: Laphroaig 10 new to peat

Postby mao398 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:58 am

I just bought a bottle, as my first single malt bottle ever. Previously I've tried American bourbons, Irish blends, and a few odd ball blends (one made in Iowa for instance, where I am from). I have been reading about whiskey making for almost 2 years, as a chemist interest (I'm a pharmacist), and its permutations (moonshine). I looked at my local liquor store and write down what they had in my single malt price range and researched a little. Laphroaig 10 year seemed iconic for the dollar, so here we go.

I just now had my first drink...

The smell is amazing. I wish I could nose this at work when stress gets high... its like licorice and outdoors

The sip... wow, its like a camp fire and iodine. Very overwhelming. Killer compared to the smooth blends I am used to.

The after... nice. Like after a good cigar or charred steak. I can't lie, it was way more intense than I expected, but after is nice. More pleasant than the corn spirits in the local blends.

Do I like it... I am not sure. Its the only single malt I have had and after that smoky punch to the face, I'm not sure if Islay is my deal. But I'll sure as hell give it several more tries.
mao398

Re: Laphroaig 10 new to peat

Postby Ganga » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:52 pm

I always find a little bit of green apples in the Laphroaig 10. And definitely feel free to ask questions about anything that you are interested in purchasing next. We'll give you plenty to chew on.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder