Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan 10 year old cask strength

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Macallan 10 year old cask strength

Postby martin grant » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:38 pm

Passing through Gatwick airport last week, I had just enough time to stick my head into World of Whiskies. Spotted on the shelf a litre bottle of cask strength 10 year old Macallan, aged in sherry casks. Bottled at 58% and a bargain at £29.99.

Unfortunately my flight had already been called, so I didn't have time to pick up a bottle. Fortunately I'll be back down again later this month so will grab a bottle then.

Anyone else tried this one?
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:52 pm

There are some tasting notes here, but none say specifically the 10yo--there is also NAS CS about, and obviously different bottlings, since there are several different strengths mentioned. I should think the general profile would be about the same, but I seem to recall some here saying the 10yo is preferable. I would expect some variability amongst the bottlings, in any case. How much would depend on the sensitivity of your palate, I imagine.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:52 pm

Martin it's fantastic. One of my all time favourites. That price for a litre is excellent. I wished they would sell it for the home market at that price. Definetly get yourself a bottle.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Leither » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:05 pm

Thanks for heads up on this guys - was tempted last time I saw it at duty free but will pick one up next time I'm through, probably next month.

It certainly looks well sherried.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:15 pm

Very, very dense and intense dram. Most will want a bit of water (or more than a bit), but I liked it (the NAS) neat. But very different from a "normal" whisky.
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:41 am

It might be an okay whisky, but it's not an okay Macallan. When I tried this recently, the sherry was horribly out of balance and did not integrate well with the malt. The sweetness was horribly artificial and tasted like they'd added sacharine to the bottle before filling it up.

My tasting also incorporated the new 12yo Sherried bottling, and it suffered from the same problem. I was with a group of pretty experienced tasters, and we all concluded that something is not right at Macallan. Not sure if they're suddenly using a new batch of casks or changed bodegas or what, but something is very much awry in the flavour profile.

If you want a heavily sherried, cask-strength bottling, I would strongly recommend the Glenfarclas 105 instead of any recent releases from Macallan.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:37 am

Hi there,

the batches vary in strength and as the Admiral pointed out in quality as well. All Macallan 10 cs 1 litre in the new bottles and red package I tried were very good. And they are the Macallans Macallan leads us to believe they can no longer make and offer.
I do not know about the bottling you found, but I can recomend the newer versions - and I am not a real Macallan fan.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Les Paul » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:15 pm

I have the Macallan CS and I thoroughly enjoy it.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:21 pm

I have a bottle of Macallan 10CS on my whisky shelf at The Arc and hose want a heavily sherried malt do tend to enjoy it, but in general I conclude with Admiral in that the latest Mac CS's are not a patch on earlier ones!

If you want loads of sherry and not too much whisky, then go for it.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:34 am

Yes, I've tried it a few times, and it definitely is a very nice, well-balanced sherried whisky, very good and surely worth buying!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re:

Postby bond » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:09 am

Admiral wrote:If you want a heavily sherried, cask-strength bottling, I would strongly recommend the Glenfarclas 105 instead of any recent releases from Macallan.

Cheers,
ADmiral

Strangely, your tasting notes of the Macallan 10 YO cask strength concur with mine on the 105! I find it to be a little to muscular and off-balance. In fact, I think young whiskies should not be sold at cask strength. The additional water does seem to provide the requisite balance.
bond
Gold Member

Re: Macallan 10 year old cask strength

Postby Admiral » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:59 pm

In fact, I think young whiskies should not be sold at cask strength. The additional water does seem to provide the requisite balance.

Wow! We have very different opinions then! :)

When I think of all the really young whiskies I've enjoyed (e.g. 7 years or younger) they've all been cask-strength.

Even the 8 to 10 year old whiskies I've really liked were all cask-strength, although I should probably clarify that statement by saying that they've all been SMWS bottlings, and it would be fair to say that those young casks were picked by a pretty discerning tasting panel.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:33 pm

I remember buying a 10 YO CS last summer in duty free, 58.6% as I recall,and finding it, as someone said, lots of sherry and not enough whisky. Sweet and syruppy and that's about it...good fun, but little in the way of complexity or a finish.

Reading the "personal vattings" thread inspired me to add a few drops of Ardbeg 10 YO, considerably "weaker" at 46%, just for grins.

I enjoyed the results very much! A heavily sherried malt with a smoky finish...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby nwc » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:06 pm

I greatly enjoyed a bottle of Macallan NAS CS a couple of years ago. I haven't had the chance to compare the two directly, but my half-finished bottle of Glenfarclas 105 has been languishing in its rather nice-looking tin for some time, so I somehow feel that I preferred the Macallan. Not sure how the 10 YO compares, though.
nwc

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder