Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig 18yo to replace 15yo...

General chat and talk about whisky.

Laphroaig 18yo to replace 15yo...

Postby Jan » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:50 pm

... in the US according to Malt Advocate.

Found this tidbit of interesting information here:

http://www.maltadvocate.com/what-does-john-know.asp
Jan
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:22 pm

very interesting. i think an 18yo would be excellent.

they do say on the laphroaig website that there is going to be an anouncment about something coming soon.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:24 am

Interesting that in many markets the 10 is not available, replaced with the NAS QC, but at the upper end of the scale, they're going the other way. Want to bet the 18 costs about double the 15?
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:08 am

Not sure if it will be double, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the increase in price will be more than 18/15 !!!

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jan » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:47 am

Yeah, are beginning to think that this whisky thing is not for me after all - at least not my current income level...
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:00 am

You're right. Let's blow this off, and go do something useful, like stacking things on top of other things.
Deactivated Member

Postby killerwhale » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:31 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:You're right. Let's blow this off, and go do something useful, like stacking things on top of other things.

nah, try blends if sm go too high.... any scotch is better than no scotch!
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:34 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:You're right. Let's blow this off, and go do something useful, like stacking things on top of other things.

How about mosaic tiling. You know the tiny little bits stuck around mirrors and the like. Or do you mean doing volunteer work stacking conference chairs after events, that could be really cool 8) We could ask Rob if he would do a Chair Stacking Magazine. 8 editions per year. where the overseas readers version arrives 4 to 6 weeks after it's uk counterparts.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:37 am

Hi there,

interesting bit of news. I have handled a few Douglas Laing bottlings of various casks of Laphroaig at 18 years of age recently. I comented that 18 years is good age for Laphroaig and that it would probably be a good idea for the distillery to come out with a 18 yo themselves!

Well, they do listen (or read) obviously :lol:

But more realistic it might just be coincidence.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:14 am

I remember a presentation from Laphroaig about the effects of age on their whisky.
10y Was described as the optimum for that typical Laphroaig taste and after 10y, the whisky becomes smoother but as the years progress, that medicinal flavour diminishes gradually.

So, it looks like they are moving away from the "Laphroaig taste" of iodine & seaweed in favour of a smoother, perhaps rounder higher priced (higher-end?) version.

I wasn't particularly keen on the 15y as it was already too un-Laphroaig like, so I will probably try the 18y once, but stick with the 10y.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:48 am

Sounds like they have 'holes' in their warehouse stock, age-wise. Not enough 10yo to 15yo so they're selling us 5yo and 18yo... Still a bit surprising that they have much late '80s stock for an 18yo. Good marketing strategy anyways.

I must say if single malt becomes too expensive then life may not be worth living :P

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:23 pm

They may not need so much 18yo stock for the price they will charge.

There's always Forty Creek, Harry....
Deactivated Member

You're scaring me Harry ...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:59 pm

hpulley wrote:Sounds like they have 'holes' in their warehouse stock, age-wise. Not enough 10yo to 15yo so they're selling us 5yo and 18yo... Still a bit surprising that they have much late '80s stock for an 18yo. Good marketing strategy anyways.
I must say if single malt becomes too expensive then life may not be worth living :P
Harry

I have to concur with your first comment on principle Harry. It makes common sense seeing the direction that other distilleries have been taking: the presently commented Laphroaig QC replacing 10 yo is echoed with; the long rumoured displacement of Balvenie FR 10 yo with 12 yo; even the Macallan FO series seeming to displace the Sherry finish in many Ontario LCBO's.

And as for the second...If SM becomes too expensive, I'm pretty sure that you and I have enough socked away for us to survive until at least our twilight years. At which point we probably won't know the difference between SM and geritol laced beverage. :D
MP
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:28 pm

Musky, you're so old, your beverage isn't laced with Geritol, it's Velcroed.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jan » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:06 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:And as for the second...If SM becomes too expensive, I'm pretty sure that you and I have enough socked away for us to survive until at least our twilight years.

Hmmm... perhaps I should stock up on bottles as well.

Let me see I have just short of 60 bottles - consuming around 12 a year - they would only last me 5 years. Clearly not enough. I'm 35 and need to have bottles enough to last me until I'm 75 or so. 40 years times 12 bottles minus the ones I already have = I only need to buy 420 more bottles of malt.

He he :lol: :lol:
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:07 pm

Jan wrote:Yeah, are beginning to think that this whisky thing is not for me after all - at least not my current income level...

There's plently of whisky available at reasonable prices but they tend to be ignored when we're always chasing the 'newest release' ecetera. Keep the faith Jan.

:)
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby shoganai » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:49 pm

As long as they don't take away the 10 and the 10 Cask Strength, I'm happy. Those are the Laphroaigs for me. When I get a Laphroaig it's because I want an intense malt. The 15 is really really nice, and I enjoy it thoroughly, but it's not what I'd call intense.

However, this could work out well for me. If the PALCB replaces the 15 with the 18, they'll probably slash their price on the 15 to clear the inventory. That's when I'll swoop in and help them out.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Jan » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:40 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Jan wrote:Yeah, are beginning to think that this whisky thing is not for me after all - at least not my current income level...

There's plently of whisky available at reasonable prices but they tend to be ignored when we're always chasing the 'newest release' ecetera. Keep the faith Jan.

Yes there is - thank you for reminding me. After all, one can never get to taste more than a tiny fraction of the worlds bottlings - no sense pining for the ones out of reach. I think that following this forum and other websites tends to skew my perception of it all.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:23 am

Stocking up for life is one of those funny questions, especially with a favorite that is a limited release. I used to ask how many bottles should I buy? Now I ask how many cases?!?! 3 cases seems like a lot until you realize it has to last you a long time. There will always be good whisky available, of that I have no doubt but at what price???

420 bottles? I guess that's only 70 cases of 6 :lol:

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

A more "positive" outlook...

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:51 am

Harry:

It's sort of a bottle 1/2 empty/ 1/2 full scenario... It doesn't sound as imposing if you think of it as "only" 35 cases of 12 bottles each... :-)

Slainte!

S'tan
S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

An observation...

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:59 am

Oh, oh!

Come to think about it, I'd better live for a long, long time considering my load of bottles... :-)

Slainte!

S'tan
S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Postby Jan » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:42 am

hpulley wrote:420 bottles? I guess that's only 70 cases of 6 :lol:

Or something like 2 pallets :lol:
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:45 pm

Strange...I can't imagine buying six bottles of anything, unless maybe the price was absurdly low. I'm always sorry to see a top-notch bottle go empty, of course, but my thought at that point isn't "Where can I get another?", but "What's next?"
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:36 pm

So if the LCBO ever complains that I'm ordering too much I know what to say, "just saving up the 70 case lifetime supply, that's all. Personal consumption only. Really!!!"

I have friends that only buy bottles they've never had before. That is certainly one way to explore whiskies. Me, I live in Ontario Canada where the LCBO's touted "wide selection" is in fact quite small. For the most part I ran out of things to try a while ago aside from the silly expensive stuff (I'd rather have a case of Ardbeg Almost There than a single 25yo bottle of something really expensive like all the $400 25yos we have on the shelves here today). As well, I don't want to try every 'Glen ReallyMeantForBlending' just to check off a box on the lifetime distillery list (IMO that's what tastings are for). I want to drink good whisky, not just experience a variety of bland to excellent products. Life is too short to force myself to drink whole bottles of things I don't actually like.

Here in Ontario, trying things off the menu means a case minimum which is 6 bottles. At first this seemed like a real pain; "how will I ever finish 6 bottles?" I thought. Well.... when I find a whisky I really enjoy, I want to open another bottle often the next day after the last one is finished. With the LCBO if I wait until I finish the 6 bottles before I order another case, its gone. So now I order multiple cases knowing that the only other way I'll get a refill is if I fly to Scotland.

Sometimes I order a case or cases of something that I don't love enough to open another bottle right away but at least I can open one years down the road. If I just buy one bottle and I want another later, all I can do is try to remember how it was. And there's always Christmas gifts for things I really don't like.

I've been asking this question on this forum probably for 5 years: how many bottles is the right number? At first I said 1 so I can a) try something else next like you and some of my friends practice; and b) so I can remember the whisky how I first liked it instead of opening a favorite years later and finding it wasn't really that good. But then I drank the first bottle and wanted another so I thought the answer might be 2 bottles. But then how long do you keep the 2nd one on the shelf before you open it? After that, there is no more. Ahhh, I thought, then 3 must be the answer... for some whiskies 3 really does seem to be enough but for others 6 is not enough. You never really know until you open the next bottle and instead of it being finished in a month as usual, it is finished in 2 years; that is then likely the last bottle of it that I'll ever need. Well, maybe one more :lol:

Now, did I write enough on that? Yes, I think so.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:17 pm

I can understand it, Harry, especially being where you are. But geez, I have 80 bottles waiting to be opened, which seems like too many already. (I'm sure I'm not going to need 420.) And more all the time! I used to buy a second of some things, and lately I like Nadurra as a standby (and $12 for a Forty Creek Barrel Select makes it easy to think of as an every-day thing); but a lot of those seconds, even ones I really liked, are collecting dust now. Sure, there are some things I'd love to have another bottle of, but I probably wouldn't even if I had the chance; the price was fine for a once-in-a-lifetime, but not for a repeat. And once-in-a-lifetime is how I thought of it when I bought it, anyway.

Been there, done that, as the Aussie tourists say!
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:11 pm

I'll let you know when I'm on some of my 7th bottles how I feel ;) So far 6 bottles of anything is the most I've had and while I was thinking the 6th Uigeadail was going to be the last, now I like it again :)

I only have 3 Beists and I'm kind of sad about that.

My grab'n'go case currently contains 2 ASY, 2 AAT and the two unopened ANBs, my Ardbeg survival kit :lol:

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:18 am

Life's too short for repeats.... :P

Well, it must be admitted that, even if you ultimately decide you don't need three or four of any of those, they would make excellent trading fodder.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:06 am

These new bottles are due to be released in 2008 right? Anyone have a clue about when in 2008?
Mr Fjeld

Postby les taylor » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:22 am

Going from the last releases. They were in springtime. So I guess it will around then as well.

les taylor

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:24 am

les taylor wrote:Going from the last releases. They were in springtime. So I guess it will around then as well.

:) Thansk Les, I hope they make it to Norway as well :thumbsup:
Mr Fjeld

Postby Jan » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:03 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
les taylor wrote:Going from the last releases. They were in springtime. So I guess it will around then as well.

:) Thansk Les, I hope they make it to Norway as well :thumbsup:

Read the article guys: :wink:

Malt Advocate wrote:As for Laphroaig in the US, 15 yo will be replaced by an 18 yo in July/August 2008 and 30 yo will be replaced by a 25 yo (which was partly aged in Oloroso Sherry casks) in late 2008."

It does not say that this change will happen in Europe as well. But as the 30yo has alread been replaced with the 25yo here, it seems a reasonable guess. Has anybody heard anything?
Jan
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:19 pm

On another link on that Malt Advocate page there's an article about the new Glenmorangie range. Now I've only been at this Single Malt craze for a few years, but it seems like just a mode of change to suit the market. Partly due to warehouse shortages and increase demand and exposure. Looking back at releases from years ago it seems the ebb and flow of a given expression is 5 or 6 years more or less and then on to something different, whether it's just packaging or a complete replacement. I'm seeing it in the Bourbon market as well and the one undeniable truth is every time they change so does the price in an upward turn. It's nice to be riding this wave in these times of change, I just hope I can keep up finacially. So, let's see... 2 new Laphroaigs, 3 or 4 Glenmorangies, a couple Distillers Editions, plus Brora 30yo Port Ellen 28yo, Talisker 30yo and Lagavulin 21yo. I'm way past broke. :oops:
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder