Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Looking for a new house, Macallan 25yo to celebrate?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Looking for a new house, Macallan 25yo to celebrate?

Postby K-Mile » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:58 pm

I am currently looking for a new house in Amsterdam, which is a real pain since the city has had a housing problem for years. Regular lists involve 8 yrs of waiting before being eligible for a house (which is the same time it takes to mature a nice young scotch :-) ).

So, I thought I'd get myself a little incentive, to open up when I found a new place (hopefully sooner than 8 yrs). I was thinking of the Macallan 25yo. I haven't tried any Macallan yet, since I am still fairly new to single malts, so that is just a wild guess.

I have seen a couple of versions of the 25yo, with people claiming that the Fine Oak series is not all that impressive. How do you all feel about that?
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:07 pm

I think that if you don't even know if you like Macallan, you might reconsider. What do you know and like?

(I also recall some here saying the 25 is not as good as the 18, which is considerably cheaper.)
Deactivated Member

Postby K-Mile » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:03 pm

Do you mean that it might not be the best idea to buy an expensive bottle without knowing whether I'd like it, or is the Macallan itself something that might be an unpleasant surprise to the less experienced drinker?

I think the anticipation, and the experience of cracking open a special bottle with a couple of friends is going to be a fun evening either way. And even if it's not going to be worth the money for taste alone, the least I'll get out of it is a great story :-)

But I totally agree with you that I'd rather have a great whisky as well, so here's a few that I tried recently and liked:

Highland Park 18yo
Cragganmore 12yo
Springbank 10yo
Lagavulin 16yo Distillers Edition

I also enjoyed, but significantly less, the Bowmore 16yo Bourbon matured, and a Glenfiddich 12yo.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:56 pm

K-Mile wrote:Do you mean that it might not be the best idea to buy an expensive bottle without knowing whether I'd like it....

Yes, that. And also it makes me uncomfortable to see malt drinkers jumping into the deep end without trying the flagship expressions first. I'm not sure I can justify that discomfort--I suppose it's just because that's the way I prefer to aproach things. But, as an example, there's the fellow on another thread asking if he should buy Talisker 10 or 18, and I felt 10, of course. Get a baseline from the standard bottle before spending bigger money on older expressions. In your case, you might find out you don't care for heavily sherried malts at all, and will be glad not to have shelled out for the Mac 25.
Deactivated Member

Postby K-Mile » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:32 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:And also it makes me uncomfortable to see malt drinkers jumping into the deep end without trying the flagship expressions first.

Well, I absolutely agree with you on that one, and not necessarily from a cost point of view. My first serious purchase was the 16yo Bowmore, advised by the shopkeeper as something special, but it wasn't after I tried the other whiskies I mentioned in my previous post that I could even taste what the Bowmore was all about, let alone appreciate it. And I am sure that when I get back to the other's that I have open at the moment, there is a whole new experience waiting for me there as well.

And: while having an expensive bottle waiting for you might be exciting, knowing that you go up from 12, 15, 18, 25, 30 might be even more exciting, while still having the opportunity to try a new expression every couple of weeks/months.

Thanks for your insights, but I still feel that it's nice to have a special something for a special occasion, and going up from a Talisker 10yo to an 18yo might not be as 'unique' an experience as moving into a new place. (Although I think you mean; what if you don't Talisker at all, in this example)
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:04 pm

Glenfarclas 21 is very nice, sherried dram for about a quarter the price.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:21 am

K-M, I agree with MrT. I think you should try a Macallan 18 at some bar (not the Fine Oak version, which I find inferior to regualr sherry oak bottling) and see if you like that style. If you do, then I would wholeheartedly recommend you try the 25 YO. It really is a step up... :thumbsup:

Good luck.
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:25 am

I prefer the Murray McDavid bottling of the Macallan 25. Tis truly a wonderful expression of an exceptional distillery. The Macallan 25 for me is better than the 18 but only incrementally.

The drawback to the Macallan 25 is the price and also that it has a very heavy sherry influence. If you don't like this, choose another beverage like the Talisker 25.

The Glenfarclas line (17, 21, 25) will also provide an interesting experience, also heavily sherried.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mikeymad » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:51 am

I think that the Mac 25yo is a wonderful choice (that is the Sherry version).

This is a celebration beverage. If you like the sherry nature of the Highland Park 18yo, you very well may love the 25yo Mac. I have fed the Mac 25yo to at least 7 non-scotch drinkers, and each of them really liked it when I walked them through the taisting.

Good luck on the new place. If you are in a debate, maybe the Highland Park 30yo.... very nice.....

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:12 am

mikeymad wrote:I have fed the Mac 25yo to at least 7 non-scotch drinkers, and each of them really liked it when I walked them through the taisting.

Not to be a smart*ss, mikey (well, okay, to be a smart*ss), I'd be more impressed to know that seven scotch drinkers really liked it!
Deactivated Member

Postby mikeymad » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:55 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Not to be a smart*ss, mikey (well, okay, to be a smart*ss), I'd be more impressed to know that seven scotch drinkers really liked it!

I know about five..... :wink:

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:23 pm

If you liked the HP 18, what about moving up to the HP 25yo? I tried the new batch of the 25yo and it was fantastic. Noticeably better than the 18. It certainly would qualify as I special quality malt and not overpriced (IMO, having tried the Macallan 25yo, which I think is) either.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Les Paul » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:42 pm

I would also have to recommend Highland Park 18. I think it truly is an amazing whisky. However, I have not tried the HP 25 and most people would argue that it is a big step over the 18.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:43 am

Les Paul wrote:I would also have to recommend Highland Park 18. I think it truly is an amazing whisky. However, I have not tried the HP 25 and most people would argue that it is a big step over the 18.

That would have to be a very big step as the 18yr HP is considered (and rightfully so) to be a sterling dram by many on these boards!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:36 am

I don't know how big a step it is, but I would count the HP25 as one of the very few best bottles I've had. If it has a flaw, it's that it's a pretty easy-going dram, which makes it a little too easy to miss its greatness, if you aren't paying proper attention.
Deactivated Member

Postby K-Mile » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:49 pm

Well, the HP 18yo is one of the best I've tried so far, so the 25yo might be a safe bet in that respect.

You mention the sherriness of the Mac 25yo. How does that compare to for instance the HP or the Lagavulin 16 DE? I know the latter has been, at least partially(?), matured in sherry casks. I also have a bottle of Bowmore 1990 that is sherry matured (marketed as a Limited Edition). I am curious how these might compare, but then again I could also just have a go at the younger expressions of Macallan to see for myself. I unfortunately found it difficult to find any other than the 'Fine Oak' in my neighborhood, which has some bourbon casks mixed in as well, right?
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:41 pm

I think the Macs will surprise you--none of those other things is anything like it. By all means find yourself a bottle of the 12 to get some idea of what you're getting into. As I say, you may find that style of heavily sherried whisky is not your thing, in which case it wouldn't be a good thing to splurge on the 25. Of course, you may find just the opposite. But you won't know until you taste it yourself.
Deactivated Member

Postby K-Mile » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:55 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:By all means find yourself a bottle of the 12 to get some idea of what you're getting into.

I will definitely :-)

Is the difference of the Fine Oak versus the other versions significant, or doesn't that really matter?
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:04 am

K-Mile wrote:Is the difference of the Fine Oak versus the other versions significant, or doesn't that really matter?

Oh My Gosh, it DOES matter.

(get on soap-box)

I really feel that the entire line of fine oak should be dropped from Macallan.

The Sherry versions of the 12yo, 18yo, 25yo, 30yo. Are some of the best beverages that I drink (yes I love sherry casks). I (along with others) found the 'fine oak' to be an inferior product. . You had mentioned that you liked the Highland Park. Now if you imagine taking away the lovely sherry notes (oranges, spice), and just replacing it with an alcohol flavor, you may not like it. I didn't.

There is a store that I go to. I started to talk with him about the Macallan's (he had no Fine Oak). He said that he would never carry them. He mentioned that his customers come in and are looking for a Macallan. He could not sell them a fine oak, they would not come back.

(get off soap-box)

Try to find the regular 12 if you can. To tell you the truth, if you were closer, I would just share a wee dram of the 25yo with you, and this entire thread would end very quickly.....

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:30 am

K-Mile. You mention Lagavulin DE amo g your delights.

I first tried this whisky 6 years ago. It was a 50th present. I'd already been captured by the 16 YO, but was still fairly new to whisky. I had tried and loved everyhing from the intense,(Laphroaig 10YO) to the sherried(Macallan 10 YO).

The DE blew my socks off, and i likened it at first sip to a mix of the 16YO and a Macallan, as I was picking up on the sherry sweetness.

The macallan( sherry casks version, not the "Not-so-Fine Oak"!))is as purely "sherried" a malt as you will find, without the smokiness of the Lagavulin, or the Bowmore 1990( and to a much lesser extent the Highland Park.) More all-round sweet, like christmas pudding...all kinda dried fruit(sherry!) in there.

Some even think it's TOO sweet.

Then my dad bought me the 1984 18 YO Mac, and he, me, and a neighbour tried 13 malts one night!(we all 'donated")Our drunken but measured frenzy resulted in our giving joint first to the Lag DE(also a 1984) and the Macallan 18.

I've since tried several 18s,all good, and the 85 and 86 were great. Even among Macallans, I find these 18s soooo drinkable, with enough going on, and extra all round depth, to keep me really interested...and drunk with just a little more reverence than others. I've twice tried the 25, but have not the same lasting memories - maybe because I had only drams - not bottles.

The 12 I've found often great, but inconsistent - depending where you are in the world.

Do seek out and try the 18YO Macallan in a bar. Order a large dram! NOT, I repeat, The Fine Oak version. I find all of the "original" Macallans have a definite family resemblance.

i don't think you'll be disappointed. But I agree with what's been said here. spending a bunch doesn't guarantee a better whisky, nor does age.

And the Mac 18 ain't cheap - @£70 in UK.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:52 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I made my local liquor store order the 12yo old Sherry Cask version of the Mac for me. It will be in Thursday, so I will get back to you by the end of the week to see how that went :-)

He also could get the Macallan Elegancia 12yo, but that's a full liter, and as far as I could tell it's a mix of bourbon, oloroso, and fino oak casks.

To tell you the truth, if you were closer, I would just share a wee dram of the 25yo with you, and this entire thread would end very quickly.....

Well, I almost planned a trip to SF in a week or two, but my business wouldn't allow that :(
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:46 pm

K-Mile wrote:Well, I almost planned a trip to SF in a week or two, but my business wouldn't allow that :(

Bummer, there is the two whisky shows coming up as well...

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby K-Mile » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:06 pm

Got the Mac 12yo waiting on my desk when I get home...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:45 pm

K-Mile wrote:Got the Mac 12yo waiting on my desk when I get home...

Ah, let the Sherry goodness begin... Cheers,

Let us know your thoughts.
mikeymad

Postby K-Mile » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:47 pm

Wow! :thumbsup:

That is really, really good. Indeed, quite different, but very nice.

The fruitiness, almost honey-ness just jumps at your face as I started. It tasted very good, although a bit dry at first. I just finished my second dram, and that dryness is completely gone. It got better every sip.

After a couple of minutes I still have a flowery taste in my mouth. Don't know for sure yet if that's a good thing, but definitely not bad.

Can't wait to have more, and compare it to some of the other's I have opened up so far.

Thanks for the advice of trying this expression first. If the older expressions are even better, I'm not sure if I can wait until I have a new house :wink:
K-Mile
Gold Member

Re: Looking for a new house, Macallan 25yo to celebrate?

Postby mikeymad » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:20 pm

Ah, you sound like a man that is in the afterglow of a Macallan Finish. :D

Your description is very much like my own. As far as my experiences with the older beverages in the Sherry line:

18 - The complexity goes up, there are a lot of flavors and spices that come into play, but they are very well integrated, and the finish is refined. The dry nature (I think from the Sherry) is gone in this expression.

25 - Balance, everything is very well balanced, deeper and richer textures, and the finish, Oh, my G*d the finish, 20-25 minute finish off of a dram, and I love every minute of it. Something special about this dram just makes me happy... :)

30 - Dominating, there is something about the 30yo, maybe it is the wood that is really starting to dominate in this dram. It is not as well integrated as the 25yo, but great mouth feel and finish make up for a lot.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby K-Mile » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:40 am

Thanks for your notes.. I will definiely try some of the others, after I finish a few more drams of this one :) The oldest expressions are maybe a bit to expensive (the 30yrs old at least) but this bottle will get a Macallan friend before it's totally gone, I'm sure of that.

Well, time for another dram, and then :sleep:
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:07 pm

K Mile:
I'm intrigued with what house you finally end up with. I had the pleasure of visiting Amsterdam a number of years ago and was amazed at how furniture was moved onto some houses' upper floors - a steam catapult is one thing that astounded me!

The first time a member of my family had visited was in a green Canadian uniform with a howitzer in tow.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:12 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:K Mile:
I'm intrigued with what house you finally end up with. I had the pleasure of visiting Amsterdam a number of years ago and was amazed at how furniture was moved onto some houses' upper floors - a steam catapult is one thing that astounded me!

The first time a member of my family had visited was in a green Canadian uniform with a howitzer in tow.

Muskrat

Well, I don't have a house yet.. but I will wait at least another two weeks since my current residence will get a Port Ellen 7th Release delivered shortly. I also fear that I won't find a new place before my current Macallan goes belly up, so when I get a replacement for that it might very well be a Mac 18 or 25.

Oh btw: thanks for the howitser guy. I'll buy you a dram the next time I get to Canada :) It might have been another story if the germans knew how to make a decent single malt :dead:
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:53 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:The first time a member of my family had visited was in a green Canadian uniform with a howitzer in tow. Muskrat

Artillery, it's the only way to travel.

:D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:03 am

K-Mile wrote:
Muskrat Portage wrote: ...The first time a member of my family had visited was in a green Canadian uniform with a howitzer in tow. Muskrat

...Oh btw: thanks for the howitser guy. I'll buy you a dram the next time I get to Canada :) It might have been another story if the germans knew how to make a decent single malt :dead:

It was his pleasure and he always spoke very highly about the Dutch, felt they were much like Canadians. He made some good friends while he was there and had even started to sponsor a fellow Forester to emigrate to Canada, but it fell through.
As Lawrence said "Artillery, it's the only way to travel" ...Ubique!
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:22 pm

Just to provide an update: went looking at a possible house today, and it was really great. good view of Amsterdam, 3 minutes walk from the office, and the Central Station. Balcony over the water, I might just get to like it there 8)

I am first in line for one apartment that's supposed to be finished in November, and second for three others that are a little bit more reasonably priced. I hear about those next week, so I just might start looking for that Mac then :D

(On a second thought, the more expensive apartment will go through my whisky money really quick, but hey, a man needs a decent place to enjoy a fine dram at night, right?)
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby pavv » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:49 pm

That will be an appartement in "Noord" then?

Excellent...have you been looking hard for a place in Amsterdam, normally it takes a while to find something decent (Livingwise & pricewise)?

In the "What is your most recent (whisky) purchase."-topic I can't help but noticing that you've been infected with the whisky-virus...That Macallan 25 will probably follow soon. :mrgreen:
pavv

Postby K-Mile » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:57 pm

pavv wrote:That will be an appartement in "Noord" then?

Excellent...have you been looking hard for a place in Amsterdam, normally it takes a while to find something decent (Livingwise & pricewise)?

In the "What is your most recent (whisky) purchase."-topic I can't help but noticing that you've been infected with the whisky-virus...That Macallan 25 will probably follow soon. :mrgreen:

Actually, it's on the south shore of the 'IJ' river. It's a new project, large blackish building called 'La Grande Cour':

My office is within the outer red circle :D

It's the bottom left most balcony on the right side of this picture :)

It is quite expensive at around 1250 EUR a month, excl. That might help a bit, since everything in the below 1000 EUR price range is really hard to find. That makes it really decent livingwise, but not pricewise :(
Good to see some fellow Dutchies on the forum :)
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:08 pm

K-Mile is that a heron I see aiming to dive bomb your new apartment. :)
les taylor

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder