Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan FO25

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Macallan FO25

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:44 pm

My last time in Latin America, I saw the Macallan Fine Oak 25yo for $200. A pretty good price considering what the Macs are going for these days. Does anyone have personal experience with this particular bottling? For context, I actaully like the Fine Oak 15 on its own merrits as a very nice malty dram, am not a big fan of the Sherry 12, but have very much enjoyed many other sherried Macallans IBs and OBs.
Drrich1965
Gold Member
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Postby Admiral » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:40 am

I'm co-hosting a tasting tonight for 50 people with the Australian Macallan Brand Ambassador. The last whisky for the night is the 25FO, so I'll report back tomorrow and let you know my thoughts.

(We'll also be tasting some Mac new make spirit, 12yo Sherry, 18yo Fine Oak, a 16yo SMWS Macallan from a sherry butt, and a 15yo SMWS Macallan from a refill hogshead).

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:01 am
Location: Australia

Postby bond » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:57 am

I had a dram last fortnight and its excellent. One certainly feels more of the wood than in the 18 YO.

USD 200 seems a lot to pay though. How much does the 18 YO retail for? I have consumed it several times but only in other people' s homes. IMHO, a price differential of more than USD 20 (at best) and the equation tilts in favour of the 18YO.
bond
Gold Member
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:29 pm
Location: New Delhi, India

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:00 am

I have only seen the 25 at duty free. Here are the prices for the 21 and the 30 at a good store in the US..
Macallan 21yr Old Fine Oak

750ML $239.99/btl y

Macallan 30yr Old Fine Oak

750ML $699.99/btl
Drrich1965
Gold Member
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Postby shoganai » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:16 pm

bond wrote:I had a dram last fortnight and its excellent. One certainly feels more of the wood than in the 18 YO.

USD 200 seems a lot to pay though. How much does the 18 YO retail for? I have consumed it several times but only in other people' s homes. IMHO, a price differential of more than USD 20 (at best) and the equation tilts in favour of the 18YO.


You're obviously not familiar with Macallan pricing in the USA. Here are the PA prices:
12: 39.99 (sale price)
18: 119.99
25: 374.99
FO 10: 55.29
FO 15: 83.09
FO 17: 107.29
FO 21: 254.19
FO 30: 591.19
shoganai
Silver Member
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:25 am
Location: Philadelphia, USA

Postby Admiral » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:41 pm

Okay, I've returned home after my Macallan night.

I thought the Fine Oak 25 was terrific. Great oak influence (it's a little drier and spicier than the Fine Oak 18) and it has terrific mouthfeel.

It's not as fruity as the 18yo, but it certainly seems more refined and sophisticated.

I'm happy to recommend it, although I acknowledge it comes with quite a price tag.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:01 am
Location: Australia

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:58 pm

Admiral wrote:Okay, I've returned home after my Macallan night.

I thought the Fine Oak 25 was terrific. Great oak influence (it's a little drier and spicier than the Fine Oak 18) and it has terrific mouthfeel.

It's not as fruity as the 18yo, but it certainly seems more refined and sophisticated.

I'm happy to recommend it, although I acknowledge it comes with quite a price tag.

Cheers,
ADmiral


Thanks a ton for the good feedback. What does that cost down under?
Drrich1965
Gold Member
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Postby Lugarteniente » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:33 pm

I bought a bottle last year for 260 euros. It´s a sofisticated and complex malt, very good, but for the same price you can buy two bottles of Macallan 18, more sherried, more intense, more Macallan...
Lugarteniente
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:33 am

Postby bond » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:09 am

shoganai wrote:
bond wrote:I had a dram last fortnight and its excellent. One certainly feels more of the wood than in the 18 YO.

USD 200 seems a lot to pay though. How much does the 18 YO retail for? I have consumed it several times but only in other people' s homes. IMHO, a price differential of more than USD 20 (at best) and the equation tilts in favour of the 18YO.


You're obviously not familiar with Macallan pricing in the USA. Here are the PA prices:
12: 39.99 (sale price)
18: 119.99
25: 374.99
FO 10: 55.29
FO 15: 83.09
FO 17: 107.29
FO 21: 254.19
FO 30: 591.19


Now that I am familiar, its a no-brainer 8) . The 18 anyday.
bond
Gold Member
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:29 pm
Location: New Delhi, India

Postby Admiral » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:16 am

These are the recommended retail prices for the Fine Oak range in Australia:

12yo $ 82
18yo $ 170
25yo $ 450
30yo $ 750

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2719
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:01 am
Location: Australia

Postby shoganai » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:58 pm

Congratulations Macallan. You have achieved silliness!

Where can I propose that next year Whisky Magazine include a reward catagory for silliest pricing scheme (applies to standard lines only)?
shoganai
Silver Member
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:25 am
Location: Philadelphia, USA

Postby Ganga » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:25 pm

The reception for the FO 10 in California has not been exactly warm. It started out that the cheapest you could find was about $40. Now I see it at many places going for $25-30.
Ganga
Matured cask
 
Posts: 24083
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder