Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Elijah Craig 18year old

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Elijah Craig 18 Years Old

Elijah Craig 18year old

Postby dram_time » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:55 am

Wanted some tasting notes on Elijah Craig 18year old, but it seems ALL the tasting notes are gone??

'Tis a sad situation indeed.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby dcb » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:29 pm

I almost always have a bottle of this since handy it's a very reasonably priced, great tasting single barrel bourbon. sorry, no fancy tasting notes, but it is very woody from being in a new bourbon barrel for so long.
dcb

Postby lambda » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:38 pm

Jan's thread is still available through google cache. For example:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:5Q ... skymag.com

No Elijah Craig 18 though.
lambda
Bronze Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:04 pm

I fthink the Elijah Craig 18yo if too often ignored IMO. I have had, at least, 3 bottles of this whiskey and have always appreciated what it offers. The only caveat here is that I am not a true bourbon drinker so others can posit better bourbon whiskies if they want to. The Elijah Craig 18yo offers a solid and balanced bang for the buck, but I am partial to it.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:23 pm

I would change some of the spelling mistakes, but again, that function is no longer available here :(
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby dram_time » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:16 pm

Thanks for the replys guys.
Looking forward to trying it, I also ordered a few cigars to go along with the Elijah Craig 18yo too. You have to treat yourself every once in a while!!!

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Re: Elijah Craig 18year old

Postby BourbonDrinker » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:47 pm

What would you say the difference are between the Elijah Craig 12-Year Old Bourbon Whiskey and the 18-Year Old? I'm a big fan of the 12-year old and consider it one of the better 'middle-shelf' bourbons.
BourbonDrinker

Postby oldrip57 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:42 am

Don't compare 'em -- completely different whiskeys, minus the name semblance.
The 18yo is an 'acquired taste' which, interestingly, seems to resonate with Scotch drinkers. Less so with bourbon drinkers, though some like it. Keep in mind that the age is often greater than that stated on the bottle -- and it displays a great deal of wood influence (sometimes the point of being 'cardboard'-ish).
Personally, I don't care for it, in the several iterations I've assayed. Being a single-barrel, batches vary, but I've yet to find one which didn't seem over-aged.
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby Steve Rush » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:12 pm

Elijah Craig 18, is one of my favourite bourbons. Infact I would have to also say that I favour the 12 year old just as much. These are both outstanding bourbons and indeed exceptional value for money. More so the 12 yr which in the UK retails for around £23, which is approx the price what you would also pay for something like Jim Beam Black. No competition in quality there in my mind.

The 12 and the 18 in many ways are the same but both offer a high quality of individuality on both the nose and on the taste. But they are both supperior to many, many other bourbons on the market and indeed some that are closer to the £100 price mark.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby BourbonDrinker » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:57 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'll keep Elijah Craig 18-Year on my short list of bottles to find.
BourbonDrinker

Postby BourbonDrinker » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:02 am

Finally picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 18-Year this weekend and was pleasantly surprised. While not loaded with flavor like some of my other favorites (Stagg, Russell's Reserve 101), it was exceptionally smooth and sippable---it was very subtle in flavor like my other favorite Vintage 17-Year, and the finish was sustained and very pleasant. I'd call this one a sleeper. At first my reaction was so, so, but over time it quickly grew on me. 'Scotch'-ish is a good description. The flavors were not as sweet and strong as most bourbons, but this bottle is still more like bourbon than any Scotch I've ever tried.

As was so well stated in a previous post in this thread, there is very little similarity between Elijah Craig 12-Year and 18-Year. They were distinctly different. (But both are good on their own merits).
BourbonDrinker

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:08 am

dram_time wrote:Wanted some tasting notes on Elijah Craig 18year old, but it seems ALL the tasting notes are gone??

'Tis a sad situation indeed.

Dt.

Are Jan's FAQ's gone???? Huh!!!!!!!!! Just checked where I had it bookmarked and nothing!!!!! What happened??????????????????????
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby pmullin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:01 am

As I stated in another thread, my bottle of EC18 improved after being open a while - seemed to take the "citrus edge" off of it.

Also, during a particularly hot day this past summer, I figured I would try some bourbon on ice (I almost always drink my drams neat). Anyway, the subject of my "mad bartender's experiment" was the Elijah Craig 18. To my astonishment, the ice brought out some sour notes (the good kind), to such an extent that it tasted like a whiskey sour, but without having used any kind of mix.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Related whiskies : Elijah Craig 18 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder