Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bowmore 'Darkest'

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Bowmore Darkest

Bowmore 'Darkest'

Postby K-Mile » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:53 am

Just having my third try on the Bowmore 'Darkest', and I must say it really came to life this time.

I had some chocolate right before, so picked this one to see how this combination would work out.

The first few times I tried it there was a hard to find aroma somewhere, that I couldn't describe but sulphury was the closest I could get to it. This time I figured it out: Raisins! Could not find any reference in other tastings to this, but I really can smell raisins here. Might be the combination with chocolate, because I also found the palate to be much more enjoyable. Instead of the saltiness, the chocolate really came out, which is a great combination. Saltiness only came at the end, but the first dram reminded me of those chocolate bars with fruit and nuts in them.

The only comment I have is that it really lacks a real punch in the mouthfeel or in the finish. It is not that strong ABV, but I do like my dram to kick in on sipping or on swallowing. But the richness of flavors, well balanced, and the finish bringing them all back once more really make up for it.

Bowmore fooled me again, disappointing on the first try, absolutely fantastic after taking some time to get used to it. Just like the 1989 vintage, 16yo.

I poured this dram from a 20cl bottle of the 'Cask Collection', but I definitely got to get myself a bottle of this stuff. Great Bowmore, great combination of Islay saltiness and a little bit smoke with really rich and powerfull sherry.

:thumbsup:
K-Mile
Gold Member

Re: Bowmore 'Darkest'

Postby Ganga » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:29 am

Which "Darkest" are you trying? I originally had the first US release and found it to be quite charming. I recently tried the new release (in the new packaging). I wasn't as fond of it but I didn't find it as offensive as people have been describing the bottlings in between these two points.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby K-Mile » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:36 am

Ganga wrote:Which "Darkest" are you trying? I originally had the first US release and found it to be quite charming. I recently tried the new release (in the new packaging). I wasn't as fond of it but I didn't find it as offensive as people have been describing the bottlings in between these two points.

The old one...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:39 pm

Maybe i'm lucky. I had 3 or 4 in a row about 4 years ago - every dram a winner!

The new one's good, but...much softer and sweeter. less challenging and less distinctive than the original.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:29 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Maybe i'm lucky. I had 3 or 4 in a row about 4 years ago - every dram a winner!

The new one's good, but...much softer and sweeter. less challenging and less distinctive than the original.

I haven't found the new one anywhere, but this is the one I have:

I think this one is really silky smooth already, even softer? Do you mean the body, or the taste?

edit: just realized that I have no clue what I'm talking about, since I haven't seen any other bottles/packaging than the one I have.. :) Except online, that is...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:18 pm

Same's mine K-Mile. Tastes pretty similar too, if memory serves correctly.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:45 am

Yep, K-Mile, that'll be the oldie!!

New one comes in a new shape bottle and packaging. Bit like Glenmorangie - Bowmore's had a makeover.

The new 18's really worth a try. Not as sweet as the new 15/Darkest...

...and the old Darkest was the least sweet of the three. I really enjoyed it.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:22 am

I'd better get my hands on one or two of these older bottles then, because I really, really like this one.

New one might be better, but we'll see when that time comes ;)
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:30 pm

I used to love Bowmore Darkest but even with the old packaging the bottles were highly variable, from best whisky ever to undrinkable, the worst variation I've ever seen in the industry. I haven't tried any of the new Bowmores yet (had a couple of chances but haven't jumped).

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:14 pm

I bought a bottle of Bowmore Darkest about a year ago. I can remember the nose being absolutely stunning when given a bit of time, but the taste let it down so much (I wrote 'insipid' on my notes) that I wouldn't buy another bottle of it - especially as the batch variation seems to be such a lottery.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:48 pm

TheTross wrote:I bought a bottle of Bowmore Darkest about a year ago. I can remember the nose being absolutely stunning when given a bit of time, but the taste let it down so much (I wrote 'insipid' on my notes) that I wouldn't buy another bottle of it - especially as the batch variation seems to be such a lottery.

I agree that it takes a little time, but on the palate I can really enjoy it now. Haven't tried any other bottlings yet, so can't say anything about that yet...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Bowmore Darkest

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder