Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Craoi na Mona

Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:08 am

This one is being introduced to the Norwegian market soon. I haven't heard about it before and wonder if any of you know something? It's quite expensive too at ca GBP 63,-
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:32 am

I'm wondering about it too, but in a few days I'll be tasting it! Any thoughts notes on it are appreciated!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby Aidan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:54 am

£63!! That is outrageous. It's just a young Cooley. In fact, I was told it's Connemara. So save your money. It's bottled for Berry Bros.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby Aidan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:55 am

...and the reviews of it have not been good so far...
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:03 am

Thanks for your advice Aidan! I'll spend my money on something else :thumbsup:
If I hadn't tasted any Connemara whiskies before (thanks IWC) I probably would have bought it though.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby Aidan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:19 am

I think it's probably worth trying, of course, but they are robbing money at that price. It should be priced at about £15.

Connemara is a better buy, for what I've been told is the same whiskey.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:58 am

Looking forward to tasting it today in Oslo at the whisky festival, but glad to get your comments about it!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:39 am

Aidan wrote: Connemara is a better buy, for what I've been told is the same whiskey.

The 12 and the Cask Strength are very good! I wish someone would see the light and import Connemara to Norway.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby Aidan » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:56 pm

Yes, I like them a lot. I am currently drinking (well last night) a cask strength Cooley bottled by Cadenhead at 14 years, and it's really good.

I'll send you on a sample, if you like.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:54 pm

Aidan wrote:Yes, I like them a lot. I am currently drinking (well last night) a cask strength Cooley bottled by Cadenhead at 14 years, and it's really good.

I'll send you on a sample, if you like.

Sounds lovely Aidan - I'll pm you shortly :)
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:50 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
Aidan wrote: Connemara is a better buy, for what I've been told is the same whiskey.

The 12 and the Cask Strength are very good! I wish someone would see the light and import Connemara to Norway.


Well because someone isn't importing Coonemara to Norway, (it was available years back I think), get this one! Yes, I did taste Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt yesterday in Oslo, and it is very good! It has an interesting nose, a wonderful mouthfeel, and a perfect peat tickle on the finish! A real nice Irish Whiskey!! And very nicely presented too!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby Aidan » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:26 pm

That's good to hear. I just think the price not attractive. You could get a single cask bottling by Cadenhead or a really good scotch for the price.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:16 am

Yes of course Aidan, we must all decide what we could do with that kind of money, but with not many specialty peated Irish Whiskies out there, this gives us another option.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:16 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Yes of course Aidan, we must all decide what we could do with that kind of money, but with not many specialty peated Irish Whiskies out there, this gives us another option.



I would agree with Aidan on this but you do have a point also ... If you can't get anything else then why not. Such a shame though that it is twice the normal price for you guys. I've heard it is very similar to Connemara but not necessarily the exact same but also heard that the Connemara is still better.
User avatar
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3644
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland

Re: Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:43 am

I just served one of these tonight, she loved it!!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Craoi Na Móna Irish Single Malt?

Postby IainB » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:55 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:Yes of course Aidan, we must all decide what we could do with that kind of money, but with not many specialty peated Irish Whiskies out there, this gives us another option.



I would agree with Aidan on this but you do have a point also ... If you can't get anything else then why not. Such a shame though that it is twice the normal price for you guys. I've heard it is very similar to Connemara but not necessarily the exact same but also heard that the Connemara is still better.


Hi Adrian. So you're back. Did you pick up any South African whisky???

Oh, and to keep on topic, I understand the point about another peated Irish option, but does putting the same whiskey in a different bottle and charging more really count as another Irish whiskey??
IainB
Gold Member
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: Wicklow, Ireland

Related whiskies : Craoi na Mona

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder