Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lagavulin DE & Oban DE

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Oban

Lagavulin DE & Oban DE

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:13 pm

These 2 Distillers Edition just became available here. I'm wanting some detailed notes so I can decide whether to get just one of each bottle to try or should I just get 2 of the Lagavulin?
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Re: Lagavulin DE & Oban DE

Postby K-Mile » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:53 pm

jimidrammer wrote:These 2 Distillers Edition just became available here. I'm wanting some detailed notes so I can decide whether to get just one of each bottle to try or should I just get 2 of the Lagavulin?

I would definitely get one of each if that is what your thinking of. You can always get another bottle of the Laga later on, if you really like it that much. Trying a different malt that you might not have done otherwise is always preferable, in my opinion...

I just searched for my notes, and this is what I found of an earlier post:

Lagavulin 1990 Distillers Edition, 16 Years Old
Nose : Fresh, warm peatiness. Malty. Very, very inviting.
Palate : Gentle tingling at the tip of my tongue. Peat that unfolds into flowery aroma's.
Finish : Sherried peat, but a bit dull (could be because it's my last dram of the night, though). Second sip is better, sweet heather.
Comment : Beautiful bronze, amber color. Great overall dram.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:38 am

Jimi, I'd go with one of each as well but I've never regretted getting multiple bottles of the Lagavulin DE. Somehow they always dwindle down to a single bottle. It'a mystery... :wink:
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Knolly » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:37 am

Well, here's my personal opinion:

I have three DE bottles: the Talisker, the Lagavulin and the Oban.

In general, i like all the standard bottles for each of the three: the Talisker 10 is great, the 18 is a fantastic whisky, and the Lagavulin 16 is a whisky that I think really turns people on to Single Malts (it was certainly the first one that i had that really made me understand how good Single malt whisky can be). Of course the Laga 12 yr CS is also fantastic and the regular Oban - while not my absolute favourite - I do enjoy once in a while as well.

So, the DE Lagavulin and DE Talisker totally live up to the standards set by their original bottles - I think that they really compliment the standard range and are a lot of fun.

Unfortunately for me, the Oban DE is a total disappointment; I really wish I had tried this before spending money on this bottle. Again, my personal opinion, but I know i'm not the only person who thinks this. Anyway, it might be worth a try before hand.

I think if you like Lagavulin and Talisker then you're almost certain to like the DE bottles also. However, I would argue that this might not be the case with the Oban.

Then again - maybe you'll love it and you won't give a damn about my post!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:37 pm

Knolly wrote:

Unfortunately for me, the Oban DE is a total disappointment; I really wish I had tried this before spending money on this bottle. Again, my personal opinion, but I know i'm not the only person who thinks this. Anyway, it might be worth a try before hand.

This is not the first time I've heard that response to the Oban DE. The regular 14yo was okay, but not special and it sounds like the DE is just a slightly different interpretation. However, everyone raves about the Lagavulin DE and being a limited release I think I should get 2 and skip the Oban. When the other Distiller's Editions: Talisker, Dalwhinnie, Glenkinchie, and Cragganmore came out last year I just got the Talisker and Cragganmore. Not really fond of the rest in their original form.

I've kind of switched gears lately and have less of a priority of new, new, new and instead try to find something really good and get 2 or 3 so I can enjoy them over a long while. Too many average bottles lately brought me to the conclusion: less than $50, I'd rather enjoy a premium Bourbon, above that save my pennies for a good malt.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:57 pm

I recently try both of these. Lagavulin DE is good but no where near the quality of the 16 for about the same price. Still worth having a bottle but not necessarily two. I found the Oban DE to be better than the Oban 14 but this is not saying much as I found the 14 to be less than average. Now the Talisker DE.... :wink:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby alban1166 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:31 pm

Don't waist any time and spend some cash on both as well as Talisker DE. Although very different, you might enjoy both the roundness and flavours of Oban as well as the stormy ones in Lagavulin and Talisker alike. ENJOY YOURSELF, BUT DON'T FORGET TO POST YOUR THANKS.
alban1166

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:55 pm

I sampled the Lagavulin Distiller's Edition last weekend and loved it! While shopping at the LCBO this weekend I nabbed a bottle and I also grabbed a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label because I noticed it was on sale for 3 dollars off.

I went to visit my aunt and uncle for the weekend and my uncle asked if he could try some of my Lagavulin DE. I said ok and he asked "What is the proper way to drink this? Like how many ice cubes?" I cringed and told him one. I knew he would have to have ice in it otherwise he wouldnt drink it. When he asked how much the bottle cost and I told him he thought I was joking. I literally had to fish out the receipt and show it to him (110.00) before he would believe me. I wish he wouldnt have asked for any of my L-DE because I poured him 2 ounces as I didn't want to appear "cheap". :headbang:

Just to clarify I drank the DE and all whiskies now, unless they are young and quite fiery, or cask strength, neat. I find even a few drops of water reduces the complexity and flavours.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Oban

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder