Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Edradour 10

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Edradour 10 Years Old

Edradour 10

Postby mattbuty » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:10 pm

Over drinks the other night, a discussion came up about Edradour.

It seems that while Edradour is a perfectly pleasant drink when you open the bottle, leave it for only a few days with air in the bottle, and the taste diminishes, almost to the stage where it might be described as having gone "off".

This did not surprise me as I have a bottle open and try as I might, I just can't get into the unique taste of it. Has anyone else noticed this about Edradour? If so, can anyone think of why this might be? or other brands which show similar qualities?
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Re: Edradour 10

Postby TreacleSponge » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:24 pm

I really like Edradour. It's one of my favourite drams. Vanilla notes. Honey. Sherry. Tons of flavour. Fab.

I think it has a bad reputation with some for being inconsistent. Sometimes I pick up mint in it, sometimes not - but maybe that's my palate rather than the bottlings.

I've had a cask strength Borolo Finish Edradour which was very sumptious, and I was very sad when that bottle ended.

Leaving a 10yo Edradour open to dull its flavour would be sinful for me. But some other whiskies have almost clashing flavours for me - like there's too much going on, all fighting against each other (eg. 2nd Edition Bruichladdich Infinty, tho I didn't give it much chance). Perhaps this is what you get from Edradour?
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:21 am

mattbuty wrote:......I have a bottle open and try as I might, I just can't get into the unique taste of it. Has anyone else noticed this about Edradour? If so, can anyone think of why this might be? or other brands which show similar qualities?

Soap? I suspect it's from the distilling process but haven't had time to study it's origins as yet. I've not ever discovered this in another whisky.
If you want a truly enjoyable Edradour 10 dram, hunt down one of the old bottlings in the tall cream coloured tube with the enclosed map. It was my favorite dram for years. If you want a spectacular Edradour, the Natural Cask Strength decanter in the burgandy coloured tube is truly wonderful.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:01 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:I really like Edradour. It's one of my favourite drams. Vanilla notes. Honey. Sherry. Tons of flavour. Fab.

Oops, no not vanilla.... it's custard. Not the proper stuff with eggs and milk. Cheap custard from a packet or carton. Once again - fab :wink:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby grazza » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:54 pm

i was under the impression that the 10 year old unchillfiltered is done as a single cask run - so then unless you get a bottle from the same cask each time it will be slightly different. I got to admit to absolutely loving my last bottle of this and was very disappointed in finishing it although i also have a great bordeaux finish cask strength. Both of these bottles were drunk over several weeks (Still going with the cask strength one) and ive not had any problems with changes in taste.
grazza

Related whiskies : Edradour 10 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder