Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live London 2008

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Whisky Live London 2008

Postby Matt2 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:56 pm

Where
The Lawrence Hall & Conference Centre,The Royal Horticultural Halls, Greycoat Street, Westminster, London, SW1P 2QD.

When
Friday 29th February - Saturday 1st March 2008

Whisky Live London is England's whisky tasting event of the year, bringing the celebration of whisky to the heart of the UK's capital. Held in the spectacular Lawrence Hall, part of the Royal Horticultural Halls, Whisky Live London brings all the very best whiskies from around the world under one roof. Appealing to both the enthusiast and the novice alike, with expert advice on hand and the opportunity to learn about the whisky basics, Whisky Live London provides the ultimate whisky experience, with great whiskies, Masterclasses, food, live music and regular nose-off competitions.

More information
Matt2

Re: Whisky Live London 2008

Postby MrIntrepid » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:06 pm

I will be going for sure I had a great day last year, but just a question weren't the tickets £25 last year if so I think a 20% increase in tickets prices to £30 is a bit much in one year :x
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:34 pm

Matt are the masterclasses confirmed yet. What are they and when, do you have any info?

Thanks Les.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby mattbuty » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:14 pm

Kedren and I will be going to this, on the back of a great time in Glasgow, but i also note the price increase on classes and entry? Can we get in for less if we bring our own glass? :wink:

Please keep us informed as to the tasting classes and the commemorative bottle...
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:49 pm

There is a reason for the price rise which will be explained in a couple of weeks once everything is confirmed.

No masterclass details yet, and the way things go I would check back in mid Jan for those.

No discount if you bring your own glass, don't want you to turn up with a pint jug :wink:
Matt2

Postby mattbuty » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:05 pm

Matt Page wrote:No discount if you bring your own glass, don't want you to turn up with a pint jug :wink:

I was thinking more of a goldfish bowl...

What is the venue like?
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:08 pm

mattbuty wrote:
Matt Page wrote:No discount if you bring your own glass, don't want you to turn up with a pint jug :wink:

What is the venue like?

Very good, close to a tube station. Little Cafe's outside for a coffee etc. Also the buffet downstairs is not bad. I think the venue works pretty well.

les taylor

Postby MrIntrepid » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:13 pm

mattbuty wrote:

What is the venue like?

Yeh I agree with Les it is a nice venue just the right size for this type of event - it is quite easy to find and the atmosphere was good last year. It is well worth attending :D
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby MrIntrepid » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:19 pm

Matt Page wrote:There is a reason for the price rise which will be explained in a couple of weeks once everything is confirmed.

No masterclass details yet, and the way things go I would check back in mid Jan for those.

No discount if you bring your own glass, don't want you to turn up with a pint jug :wink:

Matt now you have us all intrigued as to what is in store for the extra fiver - some more minitures in the goodybag afterwards would go down well :D
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby mattbuty » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:51 pm

I've just realised that if I take my beloved to whisky live on 29th Feb, she is quite within her rights to ask her to marry me :o

Maybe I should leave it till the saturday :smoke:
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:13 pm

mattbuty wrote:I've just realised that if I take my beloved to whisky live on 29th Feb, she is quite within her rights to ask her to marry me :o

Maybe I should leave it till the saturday :smoke:

She is within her rights to ask [b]herself[b] to marry you? :P

Anyway, good luck with that! :thumbsup:
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

Matt me and my brother are definetely coming on the saturday. Maybe 3 or 4 others with us as well. Is it best to book the day tickets now and then the masterclasses when they become available. Or should you wait and book it all at once.

Thanks.

Les.
les taylor

Postby Matt2 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:16 pm

Probably best to book now and then come back for Masterclasses.

Also some slight reductions in the prices because they were wrong :oops:
Matt2

Postby les taylor » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:11 pm

Hi Matt thanks for that. So it's £26 per person. We are looking forward to it already.

les taylor

Postby RufusA » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:24 pm

Don't forget the "booking fee" on top of that!

Matt, I remember you suggesting that you might be able to do something a little bit extra for forum regulars at WL next year :thumbsup: . Is this likely to come to fruition?

If nothing else some printable forum member stickers so that the stall holders know they are dealing with discerning gentlemen (and ladies) who appreciate a tutored flight!

Definitely looking forward to it, and think I might have to do both days (again) to give my tastebuds a fighting chance.

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby RufusA » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:30 pm

mattbuty wrote:What is the venue like?

As others have said a very good venue (IMHO). The layout last year was particularly good.

There are plenty of cafes / food places within easy walking distance and it's good to take an extended lunch away from the premises to clear the taste buds (and head) ready to start afresh.

Only slight critism is that the toilets are down a flight of stairs so at the end of the event quite a few "catchers" are needed at the bottom to prevent people from hurting themselves.

The Masterclasses are always a treat and sometimes it's the unpopular ones :wink: which offer the best value.

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:57 pm

What! Get up early on a Saturday, ask the wife to drive me to the station, pay an extortionate amount of money to stand on a dirty train for an hour, travel deep into the bowels of London via the underground to get to Pimlico Station, walk, yes walk for ten minutes to get to The Royal Horticultural Halls . . . I've just booked my ticket! See you there on Saturday. It's a day not to be missed!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:45 pm

Paul, I've just done the same deed. Booked tickets for 7 of us. I'll see you there. Will you be wearing the red carnation and standing under the clock as usual.

les taylor

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:36 pm

les taylor wrote:Paul, I've just done the same deed. Booked tickets for 7 of us. I'll see you there. Will you be wearing the red carnation and standing under the clock as usual.

Yes, just a red carnation. I hope February is not too cold :shock:
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby mattbuty » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:38 am

Any idea where people stay? I know its London, but the closest reasonably priced hotel would be useful
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:59 am

mattbuty wrote:Any idea where people stay? I know its London, but the closest reasonably priced hotel would be useful

Matt we'll be staying at Taylor's Towers in Caddington. Quite a nice place to stay I believe :)
les taylor

Postby Steve Rush » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:02 pm

Roll on Whisky Live London 2008!.

Normally I usually attend the first day of the festival on the Friday but this year am going to be doing the Saturday, with a few friends.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby ikendal » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:31 pm

Hello again matt
It me the one who kick up a stink about the vouchers last year (sorry) - still disagree but as you clearly said the policy here to stay so C'est La vie.
To questions
1. how much are the voucher going to be during the event? (I promise I won't moan-Imight but just not on the forum)
2. If I book an evning ticket (6.00 - 9.00) can I attend a 5.30/5.00pm masterclass? as I won't be entering the venue until 6.00pm?

Cheers
ikendal
Bronze Member

Postby ikendal » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:39 pm

Sorry found it
vouchers a £1.00 a piece.
Second question still stands
ikendal
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:07 pm

Hi ikendal,

Yes £1 each, and I would say you could attend the 5 / 5.30 masterclass, but not the earlier ones. But remember to give yourself sometime to collect tickets and register before the masterclass.

:thumbsup:

Matt
Matt2

Postby RufusA » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:13 pm

I'll be definitely going on the Friday, but might also appear on the Sat if my liver can stand all the tastings (and the vouchers :? )

Anyway some questions for Matt / Pippa:

1) Can you get a discount for an on the door ticket on the Sat if you have already attended on the Fri, or is the only discount available for a two dayer bought in advance.

2) Any news on the masterclasses for this year, or do we have to wait until they go on sale, and will there be lots of TBA gaps when they do?

3) Last year Matt you suggested doing something for forum members at WL, perhaps a special badge so we can recognise each other, and be known as gentlemen (and ladies) of a discerning character by the exhibitors. Is anything going to come of this plan?

Thanks - Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby corbuso » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:42 pm

MrIntrepid wrote:I will be going for sure I had a great day last year, but just a question weren't the tickets £25 last year if so I think a 20% increase in tickets prices to £30 is a bit much in one year :x

The Whiskylive London seemed very attractive, but the entry price is quite dissuasive. The price tag of £26 is quite high in comparison with the other european whisky events. If you had a few masterclasses, the final price will be quite hefty. In addition, with 5 vouchers, I don't think that you will go very far. By the way, what is the whisky measure at the live: 1 or 2.5 cl?
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby RufusA » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:07 pm

corbuso wrote:By the way, what is the whisky measure at the live: 1 or 2.5 cl?

Previous years it has been 1.5cl (ish).

However as very few stands use an actual measure the amount in the glass will vary depending on how expensive, or interested you are in the product! Some will let you have a taste for nothing, but charge a voucher if you want an actual measure!

corbuso wrote:In addition, with 5 vouchers, I don't think that you will go very far.

<Matt LOOK_AWAY="NOW">: In the past few years they have used vouchers at Whisky Live, I have found the 5 vouchers go an amazingly long way. In fact I've still got 3 of my original 5 for the Sat. last year at home. :sleep: :coffee: :dead:

Although every year it is suggested stalls will take a tougher stance over vouchers, so YMMV!
</Matt>

Masterclasses have always been good value for money, usually for the money you get 3 good whiskies, a very good whisky and a :shock: whisky. If you saw all the glasses of untasted The Glenlivet '64 being poured in to a slop bucket last year, you'd have cried!

HTH - Rufus
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:12 pm

Hi Rufus,

RufusA wrote:1) Can you get a discount for an on the door ticket on the Sat if you have already attended on the Fri, or is the only discount available for a two dayer bought in advance.

If you talked really nicely to one of the people on the front desk, then maybe. But don't hold me to it. Probably an idea to book for both days just to be sure. You know you will be back on the Saturday ;)

RufusA wrote:2) Any news on the masterclasses for this year, or do we have to wait until they go on sale, and will there be lots of TBA gaps when they do?

Not yet, but it should be very soon and yes I am sure there will be TBAs. Some of them like to leave it till the last minute before telling us.

RufusA wrote:3) Last year Matt you suggested doing something for forum members at WL, perhaps a special badge so we can recognise each other, and be known as gentlemen (and ladies) of a discerning character by the exhibitors. Is anything going to come of this plan?

Yes, well possibly, still working on what to do and need to get it all sorted. Think something like badges should be easy to do, and if I get my way there may be a Forum area, room or tasting of some sort, probably in the basement. I will keep you informed.

Corbuso, as far as I know they will be 25ml samples.

Matt
Matt2

Postby The Fachan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:13 pm

Rufus,

I did cry!!!!! :cry:
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Matt2 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:22 pm

Criminal to be throwing that away, keep a couple of sample bottles in your pocket just incase it happens again :D
Matt2

Postby The Fachan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:29 pm

Matt,

Dont think we could be that lucky two years in a row!!
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby MrIntrepid » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:01 pm

Badges will be amusing we will bump into each other look each other up and down and then try and guess what forum tag the face fits with. By the way I'm the dashingly handsome guy, with designer stubble or in other words I'm the guy with a squashed boxers nose who can't be bothered to shave :) Looking forward to meeting fellow forumers on the Friday :thumbsup:
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby RufusA » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:10 pm

Matt Page wrote:Criminal to be throwing that away, keep a couple of sample bottles in your pocket just incase it happens again :D

I thought about doing this last year but was worried that unsealed bottles would fall foul of the licensing laws, and the event security guards!

Hmmm!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby ikendal » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:36 pm

Last year the galsses had a line to show the measure a few stalls tried t pour to the measure (glenrothes) but.... if you tilt the glass towards you you get an cl. WOW :P

Still dispise the voucher system
Still dispise being forces to eat a very poor sandwich
Still love Whisky live
ikendal
Bronze Member

Next

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder