Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Nikka 10 Yoichi

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Nikka 10 Yoichi

Postby Mccandless1 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:55 pm

Just bought a bottle of my first Jap' whisky a Nikka 10 Nikka 10 Yoichi. Can't say i know a great deal about this whisky but im certainly impressed by it. A nice sweet whisky with an almost bonfire toffee nose to it, just right for this time of year. Seems they have their own cooperage and heat their post with naked flame whcih is good to hear. Anyone else tasted it? What you think?
Mccandless1

Re: Nikka 10 Yoichi

Postby pavv » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:17 pm

Nikka Yoichi 10 is an excellent dram. Really nice Japanese whisky with loads of flavor and more robust than most other Japanese Distilleries normally make. But I must say that I prefer the Yoichi 12...which has got a little more oohmpf and some nice smoke and peat in the taste and finish.
pavv

Postby Mccandless1 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:33 pm

Ah good stuff..nice to know that. Ur more an Islay man then i guess...love that Laggy 16. Heres the bottle...if the image link works *cross fingers*

Mccandless1

Postby Bulkington » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:25 pm

Wish we could get this in the States.
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby Wave » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:48 pm

I had a smaller bottle of the Yochi 10 while in Tokyo just this last summer, it was OK but nothing really special about it. I didn't bring any Yochi back because I had to save room in my bag for the Hanyu's (Ace of Hearts & Gu Bráth) and the Suntory single cask (cask strength) I did bring home.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:04 am

Mccandless1 wrote:Ah good stuff..nice to know that. Ur more an Islay man then i guess...love that Laggy 16. Heres the bottle...if the image link works *cross fingers*
Yep, image works. Same one that I acquired at the local LCBO nearly two years ago. Reminded me of an Islay, albeit a gentler style.

It sits on the shelf with the other "foreign" whiskies; US, Canadian, Irish and NZ.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby pavv » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:47 pm

Wave wrote:I had a smaller bottle of the Yochi 10 while in Tokyo just this last summer, it was OK but nothing really special about it. I didn't bring any Yochi back because I had to save room in my bag for the Hanyu's (Ace of Hearts & Gu Bráth) and the Suntory single cask (cask strength) I did bring home.

Cheers!

I agree that the Hanyu's and some of the Single Casks from Suntory (A really great Yamazaki 1995/2006 [The Owner's Cask for World Liquor Brutus] springs to mind) will probably kick the Yoichi 10's *ss....but you might agree that it is a nice introduction to Japanese Whisky (without spending the big $$$)
pavv

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder