Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

ARDMORE QUARTER CASK

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Ardmore

ARDMORE QUARTER CASK

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:08 pm

Is this new "Ardmore Quarter Cask" worth getting please (espec. at Sainsbury's price) ?

I see that it's 46% and unchillfiltered. Good start.

But I'm guessing that it's coloured, although that seems strange given the above.
Deactivated Member

Re: ARDMORE QUARTER CASK

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:48 pm

The £14.99 "Ardmore" lies untouched and gathering dust in my local Sainsbury's. I've not bought, as I still don't know what to expect from it.
Deactivated Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:28 pm

Thanks for the tip eelbrook!

I tasted Ardmore for the first time earlier this month at Whisky Live Glasgow and was really impressed. A friend handed me a mystery glass. I was convinced it was an Islay malt such was the peat and smoke. I was really impressed when it was revealed as an Ardmore.

I'll be heading down to Sainsburys myself to grab a bottle. At £14.99 you can't really go wrong. If it's as good as the Ardmore I tasted in Glasgow, great. If not, then I've got a cheap malt for any visitors looking for ice in their glass
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:35 pm

Well, I rushed out and bought it.

I have only ever had Ardmore as one half of "Peat Monster". At first i thought the QC a bit one dimensional. Now it's been open a few days, and a a few drams in, it seems to have more character, or else i'm getting used to it. It's not bad - definitely different.

I find a typical speyside note, also apparent in, say, the Glenfiddich Solera, the Mac FO 10 and even the (surprisingly good)Lidl "Ben Bracken"(which some say is Tamnavulin) - a sort of grassy, cereal, butterscotch-but-not-sweet characteristic.

But in all the examples above that gives way to sweetness, whereas the Ardmore becomes peaty and dry!

Interesting, then, and increasingly enjoyable. Good, yes, but...not as nice as the Ardbeg 10!(similar strength, similar price!)
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:42 pm

This sounds as if it might appeal to me. Not quite as brutal perhaps as some of the Islay malts which, try as I might, I just can't stomach.
Deactivated Member

Postby badgerbrown » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:12 pm

Hi Eelbrook. I just brought a bottle of this from Milton Keynes today, so I'll let you know when I try it tonight.
badgerbrown

Postby badgerbrown » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:23 pm

From first impressions it is quite biscuity on the nose with some seville orange marmalade and gloss paint, and a bit feinty with leather. More evidence of peat on the palate but a good deal of oak too, not overly bitter but not that sweet either. My wife says Farley's rusks and Barbour jackets, and she's better than me at this sort of thing. For £14.99 it is a good deal. In a word, pleasantbutnotamazing.
badgerbrown

Postby Leither » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:12 am

badgerbrown wrote:pleasantbutnotamazing.

Couldn't agree more BB. But at £15 certainly worth it.

If I'm after peat I usually go for coastal influence such as Islay, Skye and Campbeltown but this is good in a smoky and dry way. Beats other peaty highlanders such as those from Benriach and Tomintoul IMHO.

I've been in a couple of Sainsburys since the deal was launched and stock all gone now.

For those considering it, buy it now while you still can.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:30 am

I think the intro price ended today actually!
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:24 pm

Yip, just checked online with Sainsburys - Ardmore QC now £29.99.

Ardbeg Ten now a far better deal at £21.59! :thumbsup:
Leither
Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:26 pm

good while it lasted.

lucky i bought a few!
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:57 pm

I bought one.

Quarter Cask, Half Gone!

Speaks for itself! but probably won't replace at £30...

a nice experience, but i'll stick with Ardbeg...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby RufusA » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:08 pm

Managed to pick one up today at my local Sainsburys for £14.99

Last day of offer though instore - so be quick if you are still interested.

Guess it may have finished a bit earlier online due to available delivery "slots".

First impressions - very mainstream packaging / bottle design - no premiumisation going on here. Is this the first time in recent years that Ardmore has appeared in it's OB form?

No age statement, like other QCs, perhaps it's harder to pick by age when dealing with smaller casks.

Haven't tasted it yet, as the sun isn't over the yard arm yet. But quite enjoyed the Peat Monster (in a not too peaty, not too monstery way).

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:17 pm

Rufus I tried Compass Box the Peat Monster for the first time on sunday. I enjoyed it as well. Its was definetly Islay but sweet. Very pleasant and at £20 a pop at the moment I thought that was alright.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:28 pm

Looks like I'll miss out, as I can't be bothered to walk the 1/2 mile to Sainsbury's this evening. Ce sera sera.

And the search also continues for Arran Amarone Finish
Deactivated Member

Postby corbuso » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:47 pm

eelbrook wrote:The £14.99 "Ardmore" lies untouched and gathering dust in my local Sainsbury's. I've not bought, as I still don't know what to expect from it.

The Ardmore "quarter cask" or traditional cask is a good whisky definitely worth buying at £14.99. I found that it shared some similarities with the Laphroaig quarter cask with its sweetness.

Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:51 pm

Was in sainsburys last night, whilst most single malts had only a few left there must have been 15-20 Ardmore QC on the shelf at £29.99...............

I reckon after christmas we will see a bit of Ardmore Clearence (maybe back to £14.99)
woodhill
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ardmore

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder