Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Closest thing to George T. Stagg?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : George T. Stagg

Closest thing to George T. Stagg?

Postby matthew2512 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:29 am

There has been a bit of talk about George T. Stagg lately and it sounds like a really great whiskey. Its about $200-250 where i live so unfortunately i cant afford a bottle, but what do you guys think is similar bourbon to George T. Stagg? Perhaps Booker's?
matthew2512
Silver Member

Re: Closest thing to George T. Stagg?

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:29 am

I have tried a few and nothing comes close!
Deactivated Member

Postby pmullin » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:26 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:I have tried a few and nothing comes close!

Agreed.

But its Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare siblings are mighty fine Bourbons in their own right and well worth seeking out.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby mikey » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:59 am

Just buy a bottle or two from eBay. "eclipse086" ships worldwide, and I've dealt with him before without any issues, so you should find out how much shipping will cost. It might be best to order several bottles to make the shipping cost more worthwhile. Just make sure that New Zealand doesn't have issues with alcohol coming into the country (avoid paying heavy taxes/duties). If so, make sure the package is claimed as "glass collectible". Furthermore, depending on how New Zealand handles the value of packages, you might want to have the value claimed as something your budget can handle.
mikey

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:00 am

I have Buffalo Trace in The Arc and it is not very popular, whereas the Elijah Craig and Blanton's Gold are much more popular.

(But they are totally different from the Stagg and not contenders for "coming close")

The Stagg is immensely powerful (alcoholically) at over 60% or 120 proof, but it has some unbelievable floral notes which intensify with drops of water.
I recommend adding 5 drops from a pipette to the Stagg and it begins to open beautifully.
The 5 drops can be repeated another 4 times, with the whisky improving each time. After the fifth time, I found the taste to diminish somewhat.
(This was in a 2cl sample).

The Blanton's Gold is around 50% or 100 Proof and also offers some similar floral notes, albeit less intense ones. As for adding water, you can safely add 4 drops (not 5 this time) 3-4 times and the whiskey will improve each time. But it never reaches the complexity or intensity of the Stagg.

As I mentioned, the Elijah is popular in my bar, but this one is totally different and cannot be compared to the Stagg.

The Buffalo Trace is, in my humble opinion, a little inferior to the Elijah.

Other Bourbons I have yet to try, so my opinion and experience in this field are somewhat limited.

Good luck in your search,
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby matthew2512 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:49 am

Thanks for the info guys. I guess ill just have to save up and get the Stagg :)
matthew2512
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:14 pm

Stagg is in a league of its own. But Bookers is very good - slightly sweeter and with more corn, but it is just as powerful. William Larue Weller is a wheated whisky, but it has a complexity that competes with Stagg - it, too, is sweeter and very toffeed. If you can get Bookers you won't be disappointed.
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:34 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:The Stagg is immensely powerful (alcoholically) at over 60% or 120 proof, but it has some unbelievable floral notes which intensify with drops of water.
I recommend adding 5 drops from a pipette to the Stagg and it begins to open beautifully.

Hmm I'll have to try that. I've never been totally amazed by it as most seem to be, but I've always drunk it at full strength. Think I must be a lush :oops:
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Leither » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:50 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Think I must be a lush :oops:

Yip, agreed :wink:

Aren't we all around this place tho? In some ways I just think of ourselves as a group of drunks hanging around an online community, as opposed to an off-licence. :dead: Some others have referred to this place as a 'virtual pub' - probably sounds a wee bit better :thumbsup:

Anyway, George T Stagg - I don't get in neither, I'll stick to Elijah Craig and Buffalo Trace, more affordable.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:19 pm

Leither wrote:In some ways I just think of ourselves as a group of drunks hanging around an online community, as opposed to an off-licence. :dead:

Gee you make it sound all seedy and disreputable :o .
I'd better not tell my Mum I come here.

Leither wrote: Willie JJ wrote:Think I must be a lush :oops:
Yip, agreed :wink:

Thanks for your support by the way :)
Willie JJ

Postby Tyson » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:58 am

Black Maple Hill and the Van Winkle bottlings are probably as close as you will get to Stagg, IMO. Nothing is quite as powerful as Stagg, but these others are very much incredible examples of how great bourbon can be.
Tyson

Postby FrankRochester » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:34 pm

I just picked up a bottle of Stagg. There are 2 bottles left at the store. Should I be going back there and buying up the rest? I haven't even opened the bottle I bought yet. They are selling it for about $50 U.S.
FrankRochester

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:39 pm

FrankRochester wrote:I haven't even opened the bottle I bought yet. They are selling it for about $50 U.S.

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgh! You're really lucky FrankRochester. They sell it for more than £100 here :x .
Willie JJ

Postby FrankRochester » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:47 pm

I told my wife that I need to stop back over at the store I bought it from and buy the other 2 bottles. Should I?
FrankRochester

Postby FrankRochester » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:42 pm

I just opened up the Stagg... Wow :shock:
I dropped on 1 shot of Stagg and I was nervous, so I dropped in about a shot of water as well. Its pretty darn good like this. But next time, I'll try and use less water. How much do you guys recommend?
FrankRochester

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:58 am

Glad you like the Stagg, as for water - use a pipette to add drops.
For a 2cl measure I suggest you try it neat first, then add 4 drops of water.
It will begin to open and release some excellent floral flavours.
You can continue to add 4 drops another 3-4 times and each time it will improve.
After this, there will be little whisky left in your glass and adding more water will just ruin it.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:09 pm

Yes, great stuff the George T. Stagg, I've been enjoying it too lately. Remember the more times you taste it, the less in the glass, and the less water you need to add. Kind of a balancing act. It does take water very well though. If you do add too much water, just top it off with a bit more of the whisky!!
Di Blasi

Postby Laphroaig » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:09 pm

Late comer of course. Curious, have any of you tried either release of the Thomas H Handy rye also in Buffalo Trace's Antique Collection? I'd have to say aside from other private barrel purchases, the only remotely in the same league as GTS is Booker's.

However, if you're on the UK market, Blanton's barrel strength (that I tasted) was fairly similar in the intesity department. Maybe check that out if you haven't.
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:07 am

FrankRochester wrote:I just opened up the Stagg... Wow :shock:
I dropped on 1 shot of Stagg and I was nervous, so I dropped in about a shot of water as well. Its pretty darn good like this. But next time, I'll try and use less water. How much do you guys recommend?

I had a bit of trouble with the Stagg at first, but then Malt-Teaser suggested water. It really helped and
Di Blasi wrote:the more times you taste it, the less in the glass, and the less water you need to add

Like Di Blasi I found that as I then worked back up to full strength I was able to retain and deepen my appreciation of what is truly magnificent stuff.

You've probably struck it lucky with your first attempt. My advice would be to gradually reduce the water and see how it goes for you.

Sadly mine is finished now and I'm really missing it :cry: .
Willie JJ

Postby pmullin » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:10 pm

I find that it just takes a few drops of water to release the various flavours.

Also, the alcohol strength seems to come across as soft "heat" rather that the normal alcohol "bite" that is found in strong or raw spirits.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby Laphroaig » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:16 pm

pmullin wrote:I find that it just takes a few drops of water to release the various flavours.

Also, the alcohol strength seems to come across as soft "heat" rather that the normal alcohol "bite" that is found in strong or raw spirits.
I think this varies just a tad by the vintage, pmullin. JMHO of course.

My basic understanding of George T. Stagg's inception gives the impression it is somewhat a warehouse grab of 15 (or more) year old rye formula whiskey that is designated to be bottled unfiltered at barrel strength.

So far as I know there are no barrels in the various warehouses controlled by Buffalo Trace that are designated "George T. Stagg". There have been suggestions that at least one batch was basically Blanton's at twice it's usual bottling age.

The original release was purportedly a defunct brand entitled Cream of Kentucky which appears to be a brand name that is responsible for quite a bit of whiskey in the market today that is over 20 years of age.

Anyway, while there appears to be some basic profile to George T. Stagg, I've found the nuances to vary from vintage to vintage, which I think is to be expected anyway, but to me, some have been a little more easily approachable than others. All have been very good though!
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Related whiskies : George T. Stagg

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder