Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cragganmore 12 a good introductory Speysider or not?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Cragganmore 12 a good introductory Speysider or not?

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:51 am

Just wanted some opinions on Cragganmore 12. Do you think it is a good introductory Speysider?
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Re: Cragganmore 12 a good introductory Speysider or not?

Postby SoMK » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:29 am

I'd say why not alongside with the Glenfarclas 12 if you want to stay away from the smoke..
I'd personnally prefer the Cragganmore but that's just me :P
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:10 am

I don't know if it's a good introduction as a Speysider or not but it's certainly good! If you like your whisky with subtle qualities rather than the "in your face" style sherry or smoky ones then it should be perfect. Is there any standard age whisky with a better integration between almondy oak and the whisky? I also agree with SoMK's suggestion of the Glenfarclas 12. I love it; fruity sherry scents and both dry and sweet in the mouth. A bold 12 year old with a lovely unpretentious screw cap and liter bottle :thumbsup:
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:08 pm

Both are great, tho' my first significant Speysider was the Macallan, and I loved it. That was before I really knew waht a "Speysider" was - or had encountered the naked, unsherried versions. For me one of the most satisfying , to my surprise, was the Glenfiddich 15 Solera reserve. Kinda sits in the middle, but very rounded. Not too sweet, not too dry...but maybe a bit more expensive. Certainly the best 'fiddich OB I've tried.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:19 am

I think the Cragganmore is ideal. Glenfarclas and Macallan are good whiskies but I think it's better to try something unsherried if you want to get an introduction to an area or style of whisky you haven't tried before.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby bond » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:07 am

Its a great whisky for sure but I would think its more complex than the average spey. Not reflective in that sense..
bond
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:33 am

Another very good "introductory" Speysider would be Balvenie.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:05 pm

Cragganmore 12 yo was my introductory Speysider some years ago; very nice but too complex for an introduction; Aberlour should have been more suitable.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:02 pm

I would say that Cragganmore 12 is an excellent intro to the Speysiders. True it is complex, but then why not start with something very good and work outwards from there.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:02 am

laphroaig10_65 wrote:Cragganmore 12 yo was my introductory Speysider some years ago; very nice but too complex for an introduction; Aberlour should have been more suitable.
Bye
Luca

Which Aberlour they vary in complexity.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:05 am

Surely the Aberlour OB 10 would be the one. Why furnish a "special" on a novice? the OBs are good enough to get one acqainted. I don't know anyone who had a Macallan 18, or OMC etc, before thay had the 10. Nor anyone who cut their teeth on Laphraig CS before getting acquainted with that style via the 10 YO OB, nor the Ardbeg 77 before the 10, etc.

You get my drift. It takes time to get acquainted, to educate one's palate. The subtleties of vintage bottlings would have been lost on me in the early days.

I'll tell you one Speysider that's good and cheap - the Lidl supermarket Ben Bracken. Under £15, very drinkable and with typical speyside notes to the fore without being particularly sherried...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:29 am

Elagabalus wrote:
laphroaig10_65 wrote:Cragganmore 12 yo was my introductory Speysider some years ago; very nice but too complex for an introduction; Aberlour should have been more suitable.
Bye
Luca

Which Aberlour they vary in complexity.

Aberlour 10 yo. Other suitable bottles would be Glenfarclas 12 yo and Macallan 12 yo (old style), but I don't think Glenlivet 12 yo would be a right choice, very different in quality. Of course, in my opinion.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby lincoln imp » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:15 am

If you want an introduction to speyside Glenlivet 12 is a good starting point but Cragganmore is a personal favourite of mine and i do not believe it is too complex for a beginner. The 12yr expression is about £20 in Asda at the moment.
Reggaeblues has mentioned Ben Bracken at Lidl. Is it worth buying? I ask because i was under the impression that Lidl bought casks from Tamnavulin and that is what Ben Bracken is. I have not seen many decent reports for 12yr old Tamnavulin?
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:01 am

I was given a Tamnavulin long ago which I quite enjoyed, but the Ben Bracken which i later had didn't remind me of the Tam.

Besides , if they ARE the same whisky, we have Jim Murray scoring BB at 88, and the Tam 12 at 79!!

different whiskies, or different days?!?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:04 am

Personally I prefer the Aberlour 10 to the Balvenie 10. The Aberlour 10 is now almost 7 dollars cheaper than the Balvenie 10.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Danny » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:26 am

Cragganmore is a personal favorite and I think an excellant introductory Speysider.

Others are Glenlivet. Macallan and Balvenie.
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby jazz lover » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:03 pm

Cragganmore is excellent also Aberlour a'bunadh
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby kronkelkreeuw » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:17 pm

Too complex for a beginner? Eh? The complexity was one of the reasons I started bothering with malts in the first place! (well, that and peat).
I think A'bunadh is a good introductory Speysider, lots of character and power, and very affordable. But if you want to go for something lighter, Cragganmore or (if the introducee has a sweettooth) Aberlour will do the trick!
kronkelkreeuw

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:06 pm

Speyside has so many distilleries and they produce such a variety of whiskies that it is impossible to identify one as a good introduction. Many have a grassy finish, but some don't. I would suggest giving people the best introduction by giving them the best affordable whiskies. These might include:

Sherry: Glenfarclas, Macallan
Fruity: Glenlivet, Glenfiddich
Spicy: Aberlour, Longmorn
Smoky: Ardmore
Young malty: Tamnavulin, Glenrothes NAS

I don't know Cragganmore very well but I'm sure it could slot in somewhere. The point is that there is no single whisky that typifies Speyside.
Deactivated Member

Postby jazz lover » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:38 am

For value I'am glad you mentioned
Longmorn on your list.
I would like to add Strathisla also
wonderful and affordable.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:05 am

kronkelkreeuw wrote:Too complex for a beginner? Eh?

Absolutely. I well remember the days when I would taste a good whisky, screw my nose up in disgust and remark "Oooh no. That's far too complex!"

I can't really see complexity being offputting as long as the components are balanced (as they certainly are in Cragganmore) and are individually pleasant aromas and flavours.

One of the beauties of a whisky like Cragganmore is that it is an accessible introductory malt but has many of the qualities valued by the experienced enthusiast or expert.

I know of many people who were introduced to malts with a base expression of Glenfiddich or Glenlivet. I know of rather less enthusiasts who will still turn to those base expressions.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder