Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Springbank Rum Wood - 12yo vs. 16yo?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Springbank Rum Wood - 12yo vs. 16yo?

Postby Sherried Malt » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:30 am

Has anyone tried the new 16yo version? The 12yo has long since disappeared from the US, so is this a worthy successor?

The 16yo has been aged in fresh rum barrels for 8 years and I'm wondering if the rum flavors overwhelm the spirit.

I once tried a Benriach 15yo Dark Rum and thought it was over the top in terms of sweetness, but I have yet to try a Springbank that disappointed, so I'm hopeful... Anyone want to push me over the edge? :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Re: Springbank Rum Wood - 12yo vs. 16yo?

Postby Bulkington » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:59 pm

Have you seen this in NY?
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:07 pm

Ditto. Anywhere in the US? The 12yo Rum Wood was a favorite Springbank of mine, although I only got the one bottle before it disappeared. The 16yo sounds intriguing. Not much new from them lately, so I will be looking for it. If it's priced like the 15yo from a while back, I may hesitate.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:56 pm

Nope, not in the US yet. Hence my interest. I have a buddy visiting the UK, so I thought that might be something good to bring back.

I was wrestling between the Rum Wood and the new 1997 Vintage bottling and since Brett at Binny's said they're going to be getting a special cask of the '97, I figured I'd focus on the former. It's going for around 50 pounds while the Abunadh Batch 20 is 35, so I'm hesitating a bit...

Any suggestions?
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:06 pm

jimidrammer wrote:The 12yo Rum Wood was a favorite Springbank of mine, although I only got the one bottle before it disappeared.

Jimi, there's a shop in the Netherlands that has it listed on their website for 100 euro. It was too pricey for my blood, so decided to pass, but if you're interested and shipments to AR are ok...
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:10 pm

Sherried Malt wrote:
jimidrammer wrote:The 12yo Rum Wood was a favorite Springbank of mine, although I only got the one bottle before it disappeared.

Jimi, there's a shop in the Netherlands that has it listed on their website for 100 euro. It was too pricey for my blood, so decided to pass, but if you're interested and shipments to AR are ok...

No chance there, but I do know where a 15yo is still collecting dust locally, any thoughts on that one. I've passed on it several times. Price: $95US.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:00 pm

The 15yo is surprisingly big and untamed for something with that age. I would've guessed much younger.

Aside from the wine-finished bottlings, I've only had the OB 32yo, so I'm not a good reference for the Springbank line. Would love to try the old 21 or 25yo to get some more data points, but that said, I'd add a drop or two of water.

Not sure I'd pay $95 tho. I see at $80 fairly regularly...
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:06 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:*sigh* the amount of bottles I've passed up in price and then two yrs later they skyrocketed. of course, I was saying woulda coulda shoulda

Yea, the Ardbeg 1974 "Provenance" for $325US, The Springbank 1966 "Local Barley" $315US, If I only knew then...at least I did get the Laphroaig 30yo before it has started to suffer a similar fate.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:01 am

Yes, I've tasted the 16yo Rum Wood. (8 years in bourbon, 8 years in rum).

No, the rum doesn't overwhelm the whisky. It merely adds a quite tasty spicy note and gives a little bit more sweetness to a dram that I suspect would otherwise be quite clean.

I'm happy to recommend it.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:49 pm

Thanks for the help, ADmiral. Looks like I'll take the plunge then. :)
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Bulkington » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:29 pm

"I was wrestling between the Rum Wood and the new 1997 Vintage bottling and since Brett at Binny's said they're going to be getting a special cask of the '97, I figured I'd focus on the former."

Binny's already has it in (it's on sale at their site), and closer to home, Park Ave. has it as well. I just bought a bottle last week but have yet to open it. They gave me a sample in the store but tasting scotch out of an institutional meds cup isn't the best of conditions for judging.

Given that the Binny's and Park Ave bottlings are single casks from the Vintage batch, I'd still try to get a bottle of the latter if I were you. Since the Vintage is a vatting, I would think there'd be more consideration than chance at play there. In fact, I'd get both: wouldn't it be interesting to compare?
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:00 pm

Bulkington wrote:"I was wrestling between the Rum Wood and the new 1997 Vintage bottling and since Brett at Binny's said they're going to be getting a special cask of the '97, I figured I'd focus on the former."

Binny's already has it in (it's on sale at their site), and closer to home, Park Ave. has it as well. I just bought a bottle last week but have yet to open it. They gave me a sample in the store but tasting scotch out of an institutional meds cup isn't the best of conditions for judging.

Given that the Binny's and Park Ave bottlings are single casks from the Vintage batch, I'd still try to get a bottle of the latter if I were you. Since the Vintage is a vatting, I would think there'd be more consideration than chance at play there. In fact, I'd get both: wouldn't it be interesting to compare?

Great idea, Bulky! One question tho. Are the Binny's and Park Ave. bottlings from the same cask? If they're different, then maybe we should try all three... :shock: :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Bulkington » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:51 pm

I don't know. This is what I got in an e-mail response to my query about whether or not the 1987 Vintage would be coming to the States:

"The label for the Springbank 1997 Vintage did not meet with the requirements of the department of Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco, and we were therefore not allowed to import this product into the States.

"We did bottle two single casks from the same batch exclusively for Park Avenue Liquors, New York, and Binny's in Chicago."

So maybe Chicago got one cask and New York another? I should follow up.

I'd love to know what was wrong with the label and why they couldn't have tweaked it. Aren't US and UK bottles different sizes? That seems more dramatic accommodation to the US market than a label. Springbank 100 Proof is diluted to conform to US proofing standards. What's in a label?
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby Bulkington » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:57 pm

That has to be what he's saying: that both bottlings are from different casks, otherwise they wouldn't be single casks. The Park Ave. bottling is 117.4 abv. Binny's doesn't give abv at their site.
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:08 am

Bulkington wrote:That has to be what he's saying: that both bottlings are from different casks, otherwise they wouldn't be single casks. The Park Ave. bottling is 117.4 abv. Binny's doesn't give abv at their site.

Sounds like an opportunity to try some kissing cousins here... You up for swapping some samples? I'll get the 1997 and the Binny's version and you already have the Park Ave. one...
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:49 am

Hello all:

FWIW, The Wine & Liquor Depot in Van Nuys, CA has had the Springbank 16 yr Bourbon/Rum cask in stock for three weeks. It is priced at $124.95.

Slainte!

S'tan

P.S. Fully agree with the Admiral. It's very good indeed and has hints of the Cad Rum Cask 18 yr old "Green" Springbanks in its flavor profile.
S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Postby jazz lover » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:39 pm

Picked up 2 bottles today
16 YR. 1991 54.2%
these bottles went so fast.
Why are they so LIMITED??
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:40 pm

there so limited as springbank dont own that many casks of aged springbank whisky.

someone, in their wisdom, sold loads of casks of springbank a few years ago before moving on to islay i think it was.

springbank have even stopped selling casks to members of the public in order to meet their own demand.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:27 am

Nice to see you back here, Vitara. Of course, that's only my opinion... :P :D :lol:
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:59 pm

cheers sherried :wink:
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Bulkington » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:50 pm

I heard they had to buy back a lot of their aged whisky from indie bottlers, which maybe accounts for the leap in price point above the 15 yo.
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:58 pm

they did buy casks back that they had originaly sold, but as to ages and amounts im not sure.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby shulaw05 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:09 am

Hello all, i'm new here, but i was lookin around, saw this post and I recently got both the 1997 vintage and 16 yo rum wood. i never tried the 12 yo rum wood (started drinking sctoch after it could be found...and i looked hard cause i love springbank in general). i've also had springbank 10 and 15 years. i'm not great at describing multiple flavors, but i'll tell you the 1997 vintange and 16 year rum wood are completely different. the rum wood is very mild and smooth, the rum is far from overwhelming, and there is little to no peat. the 1997 vintage is much stronger, much bolder. i added a couple ice cubes and it really smoothed it out, lot of vanilla, also a mild peat to it. if i had to choose, i'd go w/the 1997 vintage. i would almost compare the rum wood to auchentoshan, and 1997 vintage is a more classic tasting springbank. just my 2 cents, enjoy
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:11 am

shulaw05:
Welcome to the forums, always pleased to hear from another lover of Springbank. These are new finishes to me and unavailable where I dwell, so I must live vicariously through your experiences. For that matter, Springbank is unavailable in the Province as a whole at present!
So, ease up on the ice cubes in the Springbank, eh? :D
Muskrat Portage

Seriously, enjoy it however you choose. I have a friend who places an ice cube in his dram, waits until it melts and then enjoys it. He feels it's the perfect amount of water to enjoy his dram with. I doubt I could wait that long.
M.P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby shulaw05 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:31 am

as a rule i will always first try a new scotch neat, and even if i love it i will have a second glass with a drop or two of water or an ice cube to compare. in the case of the springbank 1997 vintage, it was awfully strong when drank neat. personally i liked it with an ice cube or two. just thought that it was a tad anestitizing (both in the aroma and on the palate) when drank neat. but, to each their own. one of my favorite drams is Aberlour a'bunadh, which i also like with an ice cube or drop of water. that being said, i love springbank and push it on everyone i know who enjoys a good dram.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:59 am

shulaw05 wrote:the 1997 vintange and 16 year rum wood are completely different. the rum wood is very mild and smooth, the rum is far from overwhelming, and there is little to no peat. the 1997 vintage is much stronger, much bolder. i added a couple ice cubes and it really smoothed it out, lot of vanilla, also a mild peat to it. if i had to choose, i'd go w/the 1997 vintage. i would almost compare the rum wood to auchentoshan, and 1997 vintage is a more classic tasting springbank.

Hi Shulaw05.
I agree with everything you say here (other than the stuff about ice, but that's me). I think you have got these two drams down exactly. Welcome to the forum.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby shulaw05 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:36 pm

thanks willie, it's nice to be here.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder