Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie 17 Year Old 'SherryOak'

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Balvenie 17 Year Old 'SherryOak'

Postby Wave » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:34 am

With all of the Balvenie fans on the board I was wondering if anyone has tasted the new 17 Year Old 'SherryOak' yet?

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/produc ... 0000035810

Just wondering how many bottles to buy. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Re: Balvenie 17 Year Old 'SherryOak'

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:58 pm

Put on the table this Christmas eve:

Name: Balvenie 17yo Sherry Oak Limited Edition 43% abv 100% Oloroso Sherry Casks

Region: Speyside

Color: Honey amber

Nose: Honeycomb, spice, oak, Sherry, cigar box, dark fruits (figs, raisins, prunes), vanilla, wood char Bourbon note, hint of lemon tart

Palate: Strong oak up front, lightly sweet/spicy middle, nutty almond skins back note, bitter dry spice afterthought

Body: Rounded, firm in the clutch

Finish: Full, spices takes the lead for the long ride home

Notes: Not nearly as sweet as any other Balvenie. I kind of like the contrast, but it veers off the beaten path a bit too far. The Sherry takes over to the detriment of this Speysiders house character and leaves the whole somewhat unbalanced. With a splash of water: the hodgepodge of assorted aromas is pleasant enough with an earthy/floral theme; the taste fans out to quite the juicy drinkable dram. I like how water puts into balance what was lacking without.

Quote: Oh the shark bites...

Score: 85

Overall, I like Balvenie at this age and all the 17's they've released that I've tried (New Wood, New Oak, Sherry Oak) have an interesting individuality, so I say keep it up.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:17 pm

Thanks for those extensive notes jimidrammer! Sounds like it's worthy for tasting. It's available through K&L Wine Merchants and I'll probably get a couple bottles (1 to drink 1 to save of course!).

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby wildgeneral » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:01 pm

Just found this locally & now am questioning if I should open it? With a limited release (~ 1900 bottles from what I've read) but lukewarm reviews, I'm not sure...

Opinions? [Likewise, other opinions of the whisky itself?]
wildgeneral

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder