Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig 27. Outrageously expensive or what??

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Laphroaig 27. Outrageously expensive or what??

Postby Greek Malt Lover » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:03 pm

As a friend of Laphroaig, I was recently informed of the release of their new "27", which, as they stat, was a happy accidental discovery. Well, I would very much like to taste this, but I am afraid that the price tag is sky high for me! I can understand an extra charge compared to their 25Y/O, since they had to create new labels, bottles and boxes, and also a price increase for bottling something so special and rare (remember: very few casks), but the latter sells for around £140.00, while the 27 sells for an amazing £475.00 to £500.00!! Now, everything has its value according to the old law of demand and supply and, as long as there are people willing to pay this sum, everything is perfectly OK, no? Yes, but whisky has to be for people to drink and enjoy, not VIPs, and besides, Laphroaig did not have any extra cost in maturing this whisky compared to the 25Y/O, it just happened that it was filled in special "first fill" casks. I contacted Laphroaig on the matter, but they were apparently very busy selling the 80 FOL bottles (they sold out in just 2 days, for an astonishing 2-day income of £40.000!!), so I received no reply. Any comments, anyone?? :oops: :( :o
Greek Malt Lover

Re: Laphroaig 27. Outrageously expensive or what??

Postby Aeolus » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:48 pm

Hi Greek Malt Lover,

Well, as you point out Greek Malt Lover, the Gods (or Godesses) of supply and demand rule in this universe.

If Laphroaig priced these bottles lower, then "middle men" would grab them up and instantly put them up for sale on ebay for their "true market, e.g. collector" value and collect a "middle man" profit for the "service". We recently saw this occur with regards to a Laphroaig oloroso cask release which was only available in duty free.

It appears that Laphroaig wanted to keep that additional profit in this case, and if they are "selling out" in 2 days as you stated, then appearantly they have made the right business decision.

Even if I don't get one (I couldn't afford it and I'm not sure if I'd buy one even if I could afford it), I still think the open market is a better way of distributing these goods, as opposed to a "command economy" system of distribution where only the politically well connected would get them.

It is comforting to know that the "run-of-the-mill" Laphroaig is so readily available to us "peasants" in the cube farms, shops and factories. I like it better and it is readily available at a price I'm willing to pay.
:D :thumbsup: :D
Aeolus

Postby Greek Malt Lover » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:35 pm

Aeolus,

Thank you for your reply. This, though, still does not answer the question how a distillery markets (and decides for pricing) its products. Of course, Laphroaig did make the correct decision of asking this price for this whisky, but remember that there are more than 260.000FOLs out there, and the 80 bottles saved to sell to them by Laphroaig were surely going to sell soon! I believe they will more likely than the "average" bottlings appear on eBay. To be honest, I thought on purchasing two FOL botlings myself, then try to sell one at a higher price to compensate. I thought it might be the only way for me to try such expensive whisky. I believe others have made the same thought, too. There are, indeed, very expensive whiskies on the market, mainly aimed at collectors. I don't think there is any point in opening, let's say, a 1937 Glenfiddich, unless you really don't know what to do with your money!! On the other hand, there are also great whiskies, often from closed distilleries (Brora for instance), at fair prices, so I still believe the asking price for this Laphroaig 27 is way too high. Us mortals will obviously have to be content with the Quarter Cask or the 10Y/O!!

Happy New Year Everyone!!! :) :thumbsup:
Greek Malt Lover

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:21 pm

Sadly distilleries are businesses and are not really out friends :( . They will simply price the malt according to what they think they can get for it without damage to their reputation. As you say there are a huge number of FOL, so the likelihood that 80 of them have enough cash to buy one of these is pretty high. It is the trend I'm afraid.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder