Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

TOMINTOUL - PEATED EXPRESSION - ANY GOOD?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Tomintoul Peated

TOMINTOUL - PEATED EXPRESSION - ANY GOOD?

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:01 pm

Tomintoul bottle a peated expression under a weird name (Old B...). Anyone know what it's like?
Deactivated Member

Re: TOMINTOUL - PEATED EXPRESSION - ANY GOOD?

Postby mattbuty » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:46 pm

The old bottle was called Old Ballantruan, but at WL Glasgow Tomintoul released a new bottling named "Peaty Tang". Tried it, wanted to like it and thought it was nothing to write home about.

Thought it lacked balance IMHO, to ovbiously peated, rather like the ardmore

I used to be a big fan of Tomitoul OB, until I tried some of the Douglas Laing OMC versions. (I know there are some peaty expressions here BTW)

When I went back to trying the OB I was sorely disappointed. I think they add too much caramel for flavour, and you are left with bitterness at the finish. Shame really. That said if they release any U-CF versions, I'm in there.
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:08 pm

I too have tried the Old Ballantruan. My experience was very similar to MB. I found the peat to somehow feel artificial in nature, like a black marble in a bin of white ones. I haven't tried the Peaty Tang that MB mentions.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks guys.

I love the idea of a black marble in a bin of white ones.
Deactivated Member

Postby The Dazzler » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:39 pm

I think the Old Ballantruan is pretty tasty stuff and is at its best without any added water. I found it to waver a bit in balance once water was added so best to get through the higher alchohol bit. I have yet to try the peat tang though I am led to believe that it is the same aged whisky as the Old Ballantruan just at a reduced strength. I would try the Old Ballantruan if you have the chance eelbrook as it is interesting comparing peated Speysiders to the more usual peaty suspects from Islay!!!

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby famork7 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:55 am

The process water used by Tomintoul distillery is from the Ballantruan Springs some 500 yards SW from the distillery. That is the answer to the weird name. As for taste - odd balance - taste of deisel lurking there.
famork7

Related whiskies : Tomintoul Peated

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder