Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

BRINGING LIQUOR INTO CANADA-ONLINE

All your whisky related questions answered here.

BRINGING LIQUOR INTO CANADA-ONLINE

Postby tylergallant7 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:49 am

Seems cause of liquor laws no place will send bottles ordered online to Canada. Besides getting a local store to order bottles in is there any other way or place to order from besides ebay. I have bought all my older bottles from ebay but its not always the most reliable place.
tylergallant7

Re: BRINGING LIQUOR INTO CANADA-ONLINE

Postby mithril » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:16 pm

While it's also illegal to ship into the US, US customs seems to be much less efficient (probably not as bothered about it) at intercepting the shipments. If you're close enough to the border you could try using a PO Box receiving service then drive across and pick it up.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:33 am

mithril wrote:While it's also illegal to ship into the US, US customs seems to be much less efficient (probably not as bothered about it) at intercepting the shipments. If you're close enough to the border you could try using a PO Box receiving service then drive across and pick it up.

I'm no expert, but isn't it different from state to state? I believe that you can post to many states, but there may be a duty imposed.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby mithril » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:14 am

You could very well be correct, my understanding though is that shipping alcohol into the US from a foreign destination (ie. ordering from any of the UK based online whisky shops) is illegal under US law. I know that at one point I tried to place an order with Royal Mile Whiskies and they told me there was no point in shipping to a Canadian address as 95%+ of their shipments were turned away at the border, however if I could give them a US address they would ship as they had very good success at getting them through.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:17 am

Of course, I'm not 100% sure, but it is not allowed in places like Texas, while other places it "seems" to be allowed.
Aidan

Postby Canada Jan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:58 pm

tylergallant7 wrote:Seems cause of liquor laws no place will send bottles ordered online to Canada. Besides getting a local store to order bottles in is there any other way or place to order from besides ebay. I have bought all my older bottles from ebay but its not always the most reliable place.

You can't legally order online for delivery into Canada. Depending on your Province you may be able to place an order for any product you want through an agent. We have a huge selection of single malts that you can order legally by contacting us directly. Take a look at our website http://www.singlemalt.ca
Canada Jan

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:40 pm

mithril wrote:I know that at one point I tried to place an order with Royal Mile Whiskies and they told me there was no point in shipping to a Canadian address as 95%+ of their shipments were turned away at the border, however if I could give them a US address they would ship as they had very good success at getting them through.

I guess the Mounties always get their dram.
Willie JJ

Postby mattbuty » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:49 pm

Willie JJ wrote:
mithril wrote:I know that at one point I tried to place an order with Royal Mile Whiskies and they told me there was no point in shipping to a Canadian address as 95%+ of their shipments were turned away at the border, however if I could give them a US address they would ship as they had very good success at getting them through.

I guess the Mounties always get their dram.

LOL :P

remember that film Dudley Dhu Right?
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby mmelito » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:13 pm

In addition to what Jan wrote.

I recently went through this process to pick some bottles across the border in the US (Jan these were bottles you have available - I swear :thumbsup: )

You are allowed duty free 1.14 litres of spirits (not even two 750 bottles :twisted: )

Now the real bad news. You are allowed up to 45 litres of spirits without an importation license.

The duties are as follow:
47% duty on final sale price.
Yes that's right $4.70 cdn on $10.00 cd

Provincial taxes applicable above that. In Ontario, it is 5% GST, and 12% PST (yes 12% its special for alcohol, thus not 8% applicable to goods) for a total of 17%

If you get caught importing via mail - you will see the shipment and every package there after is flagged for inspection (ask my buddy Sandy!!)

If you get caught not declaring at the border. They have the authority to impound your vehicle, or by air travel, customs can detain and charge you.

I love this country :evil: Good luck
mmelito

Postby tylergallant7 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:42 am

Thanks to all who replied to my question as im new to this lovely website im impressed at all the knowledge on whiskey and the great advice everyone has to offer.
tylergallant7

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:19 am

I'm late to the party - but what part of Canada are you in Tyler? There are a number of folks here from all corners of our country - and many have been finding loopholes and round-a-bouts for years in pursuit of those special rare drams in the face of our archaic, restrictive provincial gatekeepers.

Our Whisky Club takes full advantage of those amongst us who travel - sometimes simply to a nearby province (Alberta is our Mecca) - sometimes further afield; while others have claimed sporadic success with shipping - often, say to a friend in the UK who can then hold 'til travel aligns - or send "personally" vs. "commercially" as say "perfume" at Christmas time...

There have even been a few resourceful folk with the time and energy to swap samples amongst themselves in mini-bottles - broadening their horizons and experiences while not risking entire bottles in the process (that would only be wasted on the Customs Agents zealous enough to "confiscate" them for further testing at the next Customs Christmas Party).

... "give a person an exam and you get a measure of their skill at writing exams... give a person a challenge and you get a measure of their true knowledge and creativity!!!" DM :roll:
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby cclward » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:31 am

I know its very difficult to bring whisky into Canada , what gets me is the differences in availablity of scotch across Canada. I live in Labrador and you can never get a Highland Park 18 , or Lagavulin distillers edition , Ardbegs, even Laphroaigs discontinued , however you can get rare batches of Aberlour Abunadh # 14 , Lagavulin 12yo. While a Macallan is alot cheaper here than in Ontario , ie Macallan is 180 a bottle here but 280 a bottle through LCBO. JW Blue is 50 bucks cheaper etc. If Canadians pooled their resources we may be able to get a wider available selection at better prices. I was thinking of picking up scotches here and posting on ebay for distribution in Canada only, Many people would love to have a Ardbeg 10. Maybe somone would like a Macallan fine oak 21 yr at a 100 dollars less a bottle.

Cheers

CW
cclward

Postby Newbie » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:06 am

So whisky can be sent successfully into the USA from the UK?

Are there certain states where its more difficult to send too?
Is there anything you could do to increase your chances of success (e.g. use a specific courier, label the parcel)?

If anyone has any experience of this I would love to hear how you did it - please PM me

Thanks

(p.s. a small chance I maybe heading to toronto this summer does anyone want anything :wink: )
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:34 pm

Try Loch Fyne Whiskies..................
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Knolly » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:05 am

I mainly order from US online sites and have the product shipped to friends' houses in Washington state. Then, either I can pick it up if I'm traveling down for the weekend, or they can bring it up if they're coming to BC (i.e. to go to Whistler to ski, a trip to Tofino, etc...). This has worked really well for me, and I have brought dozens of bottles into BC like this over the past few years.

My favourite sites for purchasing online are:

http://www.hitimewine.net (although they have stopped shipping hard liquor out of California, making them much less useful, but some of their prices are excellent)

http://www.Beltramos.com

http://www.klwines.com

http://www.binnys.com

And, as WestVanDave mentioned, Alberta is Mecca!
Knolly
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder