Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glendronach 15y

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glendronach 15y

Postby Popup » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:18 pm

Hi there.

I recently got an opportunity to order a whiskey taxfree. So I chose one that normally is not available for me to buy (in Sweden).

But I haven't found any information about this whiskey, Glendronach 15 y o.
It is not even mentioned in the Tasting Room.

Anyone out there who can provide me with a little information about this whiskey?
Popup

Postby Admiral » Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:20 am

It depends on which 15yo...there's a standard 15yo, and there's also a sherry matured 15yo.

The sherry one is fantastic.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Popup » Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:49 pm

It was the sherry matured 15yo I was reffering to. Forgot to mention that.
Popup

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:23 am

It's very good from memory. I tasted it in September 2002.

It's quite sweet and is quite chewy. I'm sorry I can't be more articulate than that.

Worth comparing to the Macallan 10 or 12 yr old, which ever is available to you. The 12 yr old is the better of the 2.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Ize » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:41 am

My tasting notes say "almost overwhelmingly flowery". If I exaggerate a bit if one likes perfumery, this is whisky for you. Image

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby r0b » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:17 pm

IMO it is horribly unbalanced. The sherry is incredibly overwhelming both in nose & on palate. In fact, I am suspecting there is something very wrong with my bottle because it smells like a rotting rat having a sherry-bath. I remember when uncorking the bottle and and pouring a dram, I glanced at my cat lying beside me, wondering if he had just farted.

I hope yours will be much less horrible, Popup!

Actually, it IS available in Sweden. You can order it from "beställningssortimentet" and it'll take 5-8 days normally.
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Popup » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:02 pm

Thank you for your awnsers.

I'm a die hard Islay fan, so this wiskey might not be what I had hoped for, that remanes to be seen. But it's always nice to have different kinds of whiskeys to compare between. And it will look nice in my whiskey cabinet anyway! Image

r0b, yes I know it is possible to order. I had to decide quickly and didn't have time to find out the procedure for ordering. And the price I would have to pay would be much higher. And since it was "cheap", at least realatively speaking, I thought I would take my chanses with a wildcard.
Popup

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:02 pm

r0b Wrote
"I remember when uncorking the bottle and and pouring a dram, I glanced at my cat lying beside me, wondering if he had just farted."
Great stuff , i bet this quote doesn't make it into the next Whisky Mag Review of the Forum!
The GlenJerez sorry dronach 15yo is one of the worst whiskied Sherries i've every tasted . Don't do it !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby peatreek1 » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:42 pm

I had to check this one out as I had an un-openned bottle.

Some sulfur/rubber initially but not unacceptable, so I would say that cat fart was an over statement.

I found it to be a quite pleasent sherried whisky, very drinkable. Comparable to Macallan 12.
peatreek1

Postby Popup » Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:16 am

Well, now I have cracked open the bottle.

It's far from my favourite wiskey, although I still think it is quite pleasant. And the cat-fart statement was not even close.
But I do think the bottle will last for quite a while.

However, the very same day I got an Ardbeg 10yo from my girlfriend as a valentines day present (is that true love or WHAT? Image ).

Unexperianced as I am in wiskey, I had not tasted an Ardbeg before. But it was the next wiskey on my to-by-list.

And I have to say, in my own whiskey score rating it passed Lagavulin 16yo as my favourite whiskey.
Popup

Postby Ash » Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:23 pm

Hi Forum. Newbie here.
I've read the posts about Glendronach 15yo and have to agree with previous posters that this whisky is totally overpowered by sherry. Its impossible to get anything else from either the nose or palate. Its an extremely acquired taste. Don't go there, there's a million others malts more worthy.
Ash

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:16 pm

For those that don;t like heavily sherried whiskies, I think that Glendronach 15 yr old should be avoided.

I have had a couple of whiskies, Glen Rothes and Dufftown 17 yr old, that were both very heavily sherried. It was like biting into a burnt welly.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby peatreek1 » Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:24 pm

I'm about 2/3 the way through my bottle, and I give it a fairly high score of 8.5/10 and will buy another bottle.

I wonder though if there is quite a bit of variation between bottlings. Others have commented on its sulfur (cat fart, old wellingtons)nose, but the sulfur in my bottle was quite restrained, and certainly less pronounced than recent Macallan-12 or Glenfarclas bottlings I have tried. My bottle had a very enjoyable sherry fruitiness.
peatreek1

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder