Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenfarclas 105--How much water to add?

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Glenfarclas 105

Glenfarclas 105--How much water to add?

Postby kenmont » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:50 pm

I have been trying to enjoy my recent purchase of Glenfarclas 105. Suggestions that I've read here at Whisky Forum and elsewhere include opening the bottle and then letting it sit for a few weeks, allowing air to enter. Another online aficionado recommended a decanting procedure by pouring the 105 from the original bottle into a decanter and then back to the original bottle, again letting the contents "rest" for a few weeks.

To me, however, the larger issue of enjoyment involves just how much water to infuse into the dram. Taking the Glenfarclas 105 straight toasts the olfactory and gustatory senses. So far, in a standard SM sniffing glass one-fourth full of the Glenfarclas, I've tried five drops of spring water and had decent but not overwhelming success. Of course, "taste" is very subjective, but I'm interested in hearing from others who have discovered an acceptable whisky to water ratio.
kenmont

Re: Glenfarclas 105--How much water to add?

Postby mikeymad » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:56 pm

Simple answer - none...

Straight all the way baby..... :D

Real answer, is to taist. Keep playing with it, it will let you know when you go too far. It will become bland. Then dump in more beverage and repeat..... :dead:

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:09 pm

Mikey has it about right. Add a little water, try. If not happy then repeat until happy or the whisky starts to go bland. For me, I think I like a capful or two to this particular whisky.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:01 am

kenmont
I tend to drink 105 neat and let it burn out the sensory system. Yeah I'm a philistine, I know!

You can try adding a teaspoon of water at a time and then tasting to see what is best for you. Whisky enjoyment really is subjective.

Don't forget to "nose" the dram as well, to see how the bouguet opens up with the water addition(s).

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Glenfarclas 105

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder