Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Aberlour 15yo Sherry Wood Finish gone?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Aberlour 15yo Sherry Wood Finish gone?

Postby scotchwillie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi all,

This is one of my favorite drams ever, and it seems to have dropped off the face of the USA. Can't find it anywhere! Does anyone know anything about that? It's still listed on Aberlour's website (although the 16yo isn't, which is weird, since I see it all the time in stores), so I don't think it's been discontinued...are they just not shipping it to the States anymore?

Thanks,

-Will
scotchwillie

Re: Aberlour 15yo Sherry Wood Finish gone?

Postby woodhill » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:06 pm

Dunno about the states I've only ever seen this in Calais where I picked mine up from.

Have you tried it?

I have yet to open mine!
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi Will.

Give Jay's Wine & Liquor in Larchmont NY a call. It shows up on their website. Don't know if they can ship tho. No affiliation, etc.

Good luck on finding some!
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby scotchwillie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:09 pm

woodhill wrote:Dunno about the states I've only ever seen this in Calais where I picked mine up from.

Have you tried it?

I have yet to open mine!

I have -- in fact, I credit it with being the one that got me interested in Scotch in the first place! :D It's very good.

Sherried Malt wrote:Give Jay's Wine & Liquor in Larchmont NY a call. It shows up on their website. Don't know if they can ship tho.

Thanks -- I'll give them a try! I've seen it on other websites, though, but every time I try to order it, I get a phone call or e-mail telling me it's out of stock... :(

Better luck this time! Thanks, guys.

-Will
scotchwillie

Postby scotchwillie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:51 pm

Rats. E-mailed Jay's and was told "No more 15 Year in the market and it has been changed to Aberlour 16 year."

I've had the 16yo -- it's a lovely whisky -- but it's not the same as the 15yo. I may never taste it again! How sad... :(

-Will
scotchwillie

Postby Lawrence » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:32 pm

That's too bad, I've had the 15 sherry wood finish and it's quite good. I have two bottles, one is 43% and one is 40% which always confuses me since the 43% is usually better.

They also have a 12yo Sherry Cask Matured not to be confused with the 12yo Double Cask Matured which is available in the USA (and parts of Canada ((the better parts)).

and to be even more confusing they bottle a 15yo Double Cask Matured also......as well a the 16yo Double Cask Matured as you mentioned.

and then........for the French market the 15yo Cuvee Marie D'Ecosse which is Double Cask Matured (but it says it in really small letters).

Anyway, they're all very good.
:shock:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby mikeymad » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:15 pm

I did like the old standard 15yo, and 12yo. But I really do like the new 16yo DM (double Matu). The 12yo DM is good, but I don't think that I would want it as a daily drinker. I would rather Pay the extra $20USD and get the 16yo....

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:54 pm

Lawrence wrote:...even more confusing they bottle a 15yo Double Cask Matured also......as well as the 16yo Double Cask Matured as you mentioned.

and then........for the French market the 15yo Cuvee Marie D'Ecosse which is Double Cask Matured...

Does anyone know how these three stack up?? How much of a difference is there? All very confusing... :(
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:32 pm

Will, if at first you don't succeed...

Try Charles St. Liquors in Boston. It also shows up on their site. MA retailers generally don't ship, but maybe you have a friend nearby... Again, no affiliation, etc.

Better luck this time! :thumbsup:
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder