Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Pot stills

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Pot stills

Postby Droog » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:53 pm

I been trying to find suppliers of distillery equipment for commercial production but have been rather unsuccesful when it comes to finding vendors of traditional scottish copper pot stills. Any helpful links on the matter would be highly appreciated.
Droog

Re: Pot stills

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:17 pm

This company in the states make mini stills that you can buy ....

see

http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/

However industrial stills are expensive pieces of equipment and thus are usually recycled from closed down distilleries.

I was in Kilchoman distillery last year and can't remember whether the stills are new or refurbs but are I think the smallest stills in use in scotland and the cost was well into the tens of thousands of pounds. I think they were installed by a company called Forsyths who are based in Speyside.

A quick check reveals their contact details

Forsyths
Rothes, Moray, AB38 7AD, Scotland
Tel: + 44 (0)1340 831787 Fax: + 44 (0)1340 831558

see

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/supply/plant/forsyths.htm
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:53 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I was in Kilchoman distillery last year and can't remember whether the stills are new or refurbs but are I think the smallest stills in use in scotland

I think they are more or less the same size as the stills at Edradour. There is a legal minimum the details of which escape me at this time of night and they are both there I think. Some of the other new ones like Daftmill and Ladybank probably also have stills at or close to the legal min. Not sure though. There is the guy up beside Loch Ewe who has an old smugglers style still through some dispensation or other.

Anyway it is the inability to make them legally smaller that makes them so expensive and yes I think pretty much everyone uses Forsyths.
Willie JJ

Postby woodhill » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:00 am

What wouldthe shipping costs be like on a smallish still to Ultima Thule
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:52 am

I doubt it's possible to get one of those into Norway very discreetly unfortunately, otherwise I'd try.
Di Blasi

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:17 pm

Probably would not get it by the customs by marking it present anyway :wink: :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:06 pm

Now that I think of it, sure, say "gift," and mark it as a lamp or something! I've heard of people writing "lava lamp" or something silly like that when getting whisky bottles here. I'm not willing to take the risk, and have the toll and "POLITI" deliver it personally, no thanks! :o
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:28 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I was in Kilchoman distillery last year and can't remember whether the stills are new or refurbs but are I think the smallest stills in use in Scotland

I suspect that honour actually goes to The Glenlivet.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:39 pm

I believe Edradour claims the honor of having the smallest stills.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:46 pm

Ganga wrote:I believe Edradour claims the honor of having the smallest stills.

That's well historic - Glenlivet has a tiny still that it uses over a bonefire.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ian Logan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:48 pm

Good evening,

I think Nick is talking about my little 25lt still I have at Glenlivet whish has been approved by Customs and Excise.
One 30lt cask maturing as we speak, only another 30 months to go before we pull the bung.

Ian
Ian Logan
Bronze Member

Postby woodhill » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:59 pm

Ian Logan wrote:Good evening,

I think Nick is talking about my little 25lt still I have at Glenlivet whish has been approved by Customs and Excise.
One 30lt cask maturing as we speak, only another 30 months to go before we pull the bung.

Ian

Oh great we'll have that one then. :thumbsup: :smoke:
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:17 am

woodhill wrote:

Ian

Oh great we'll have that one then. :thumbsup: :smoke:

Yes, is it for sale Mr. Ian Logan? You know we've been trying to buy a mature cask! :D
Di Blasi

Postby Ganga » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:32 am

Ian

25 lt? Wow that is tiny. I could almost set up operations in the backyard for that quantity. :angel:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby randall fairbrook » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:20 am

Di Blasi wrote:I doubt it's possible to get one of those into Norway very discreetly unfortunately, otherwise I'd try.

i could send it to you packed in coffee grounds, but i think it wouldn't work.....
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:33 am

Ganga wrote:

Ian

25 lt? Wow that is tiny. I could almost set up operations in the backyard for that quantity. :angel:

That's pretty much what Glenlivet did. They set the still up over a fire in their garden and ran off new spirit into saucepans. These then filled up a tiny cask which has its own special area in one of the warehouses. And a 30 litre cask won't make many bottles - so it will be a rare treat for some who get to taste the real, finished whisky. I tried some new spirit from the still which gave me some insight into why distilleries have invested so much in the way of controls and computerisation in their stillrooms. This was pretty rough and ready - as early illicit whisky must have been.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:41 pm

Interesting project though and I'm sure that all that whisky will be used more for research than anything else.

What is the scenario with the 30lt cask bourbon, sherry or what?

Should mature in no time at all ...
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:12 pm

I don't know what the 30 litres (less the angels' share) will end up being used for, but at the Distillery last year they suggested it might be nice to take samples to whisky fairs. I think I recall someone saying (but I might be wrong) that it was a condition of the whole thing being licensed that the whisky wouldn't be put on general sale.

I'm sure Ian Logan will be able to correct me if this is wrong.

But I thought it was great that such a grand distillery - perhaps one that might even be seen as a bit stuffy - should be trying something so innovative, frivilous and fun.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:02 pm

randall fairbrook wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:I doubt it's possible to get one of those into Norway very discreetly unfortunately, otherwise I'd try.

i could send it to you packed in coffee grounds, but i think it wouldn't work.....

Thanks RF! (Ralph Furley??!) It would be great, but probably be easier to find one around here already with one! Sshhhh! :o
Di Blasi

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder