Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bowmore Claret?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Bowmore Claret

Ardbeg NEW Committee Bottling

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:15 pm

Theres a new one out. Anyone got any news on this?
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN » Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:27 pm

Hi,
the new Committee bottling has got stuck on Islay due to heavy demand. But I was told that they will despatch the lovely stuff within a couple of weeks.
JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:46 am

I got my bottle a couple of weeks ago, but haven't started it yet. It's a vatted malt made up of various ages of Ardbeg.
Steve

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:57 am

How much does it cost, does anyone know more about it?
Thanks
Ian
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby MacAndersson » Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:16 pm

Is it really a vatted malt?
As far as I know blending whisky from different years doesn’t make it a vatted malt as long as it is whisky from the same distillery. Blending whisky from different year is done on regular bases in order to get the right taste. The whisky then gets is year from the youngest whisky in the mix, but it is still a single malt. A vatted malt is single malt from two or more different distilleries.
MacAndersson

Postby adogranonthepitch » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:18 pm

Just back from Ardbeg and picked up the Committee Bottling. Its predominately made up of very early 1990's, with some 1980's and a touch from the the late 1970's.

Cant wait to open it. They have about 350 bottles left fro the original 3500 bottled. Hurry up!

Whisky for ever
adogranonthepitch
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:19 pm

Forgot to say its £45
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby r0b » Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:23 pm

Are orders FINALLY being sent?
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:32 pm

To r)b and Whiskyhill

When I was at Ardbeg, the girls said they were overwelmed by the response for the bottling. These were the reasons the bottling were delayed.

* 2500 people sent in for bottles.
* Each bottled is packed individually ( no computers)
* The Post Office will only take 20 to 30 bottles a day for posting, as they are flown off the island. The aircraft can not take any more weight.
* They hope to have them out by the end of April (ish)
* They also say there is plenty to go around.

Hope this helps
yours in whisky

adogranonthepitch

PS If you are going to Islay, stop at The White Hotel in Port Ellen. Good Accommodation. Fair Prices. Good food.
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby WhiskyHill » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:55 pm

Ian, I had the opportunity to try the Committee Reserve in January at Las Vegas PLOWEDfest (aka Ardbeggeddon). One of the PLOWEDsters had recently visited Scotland and came home loaded down with 50 bottles of malt!!! (a 70cl bottle goes about 2 kg - so he had 100 kg of malt in his baggage!!!) One of his offerings was the ACR. Not even close to the best Ardbeg that I've ever tried, but very good for a young 'un. Primarily ex-bourbon casked whisky, most of it 8-10 years, with a bit of older malt added in to give it some depth.

Worth the 45 quid IMO.

Hope this helps,
TB
WhiskyHill

Bowmore Claret?

Postby Admiral » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:25 am

I'm wondering if anyone can provide helpful information on the difference between two Bowmore bottlings.

One is called simply "Bowmore Claret", and has "Bordeaux casked" underneath. It has been bottled at 56%. I bought this about six months ago.

The other is called "Bowmore Dusk" and also has "Bordeaux casked" underneath, but this has been bottled at 50%. I bought this last weekend.

The cardboard tubes that each come in have different artwork designs on them.

Was one an earlier bottling and they then changed their marketing approach? Or did Bowmore consciously market two different strengths and name them differently? Either way, they both appear to have been finished in the claret casks.

Can anyone help?
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:26 am

Hi Admiral,

The first of these two was Bowmore Claret; because of the heavy demand they came up with the "Dusk". I have both of them but as they are not open I am unable to tell the difference. During a tasting I bought a dram of "Claret", but unfortunately drowned it by pouring too much water in it. Undiluted I was a little bit disappointed but some days you like a certain whisky and some other day not. Maybe I was in the wrong mood....

Slainté!
Juerg
JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN

Postby ceedeedoos » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:14 pm

the Claret is now far more scarce than the dusk that is readily available here ... and therefore should be higher in price than the dusk ...
ceedeedoos

Related whiskies : Bowmore Claret

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder