Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Forty Creek John K Hall Small Batch Reserve

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Forty Creek John K Hall Small Batch Reserve

Postby velocci » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:48 pm

Hi all, anyone tasted the Forty Creek John K Hall Small Batch Reserve? i tasted it the other night and I've never tasted anything like it. I ddidn't like it because it tasted like a chemical for some reason. does anyone feel the same way? i don't see how anyone could like that.
velocci

Re: Forty Creek John K Hall Small Batch Reserve

Postby Knolly » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:48 am

Haven't tasted it - where is it available? I generally like the 40 Creek Barrel Select - it's kind of my staple rye that I have "in house".

Is the small batch reserve a limited bottling?

Cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:48 am

Tried it.

Sweet. One-dimensional. Unexciting.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:55 pm

Good day to all,
I have quite a different impression of the J.K. Hall Small Batch Reserve than the other posters. At the end of the day, personal preferences have the final say which makes this hobby very interesting. However, Velocci, I would encourage you to give the whisky another go. You may find that you just don't like it. But, it is hard to imagine (although, I could be wrong) that it is a tainted bottle considering it is from a small batch of only 6000 bottles. Unless, of course, your cork was damaged when you opened up it up. And, YES, Knolly it is a limited edition. The last I heard, in Canada, it is sold only in Ontario and some States - Texas comes to mind.

I poured myself a dram last night and, well, sweet, oui...one dimensional, non.

Colour: golden auburn
Nose: sweet biscuit, mixed nuts, spice, gentle oak
Taste: peanut brittle, bourboney spice, rye -soft edges, simple syrup, buttery sweet roasted corn
Finish: lingering spicey and roasted nut ending

I have on other occasions tasted toffee-chocolate, but that wasn't coming through last night. The rye is quite gentle, but it doesn't roll over either. That is why I have described it in the context of "soft edges".

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:45 am

You do have a way with words, Wendy.

We do have some 40 creek available but not that in the LC, here.

Started considering the US offerings for a future purchase, so I took a gander today and other than JB, JD and another common American rye there was nothing else to pique my interest. No Blantons, no Sazerac, no Elmer T. Disappointingly slim pickins' in the American stable of enjoyable drams.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:50 pm

Thank you, Musky. It is nice to hear from you. I know what you mean about American bourbon and rye being slim pickings at the LCBO. When they delisted Elmer T, I couldn't believe it. I only bought one bottle at the time, but kick myself for not picking up a couple more. It helps to have a variety of whiskies in the collection to give your tastebuds a work out. When I was in New York last fall, I bought a bottle of Old Grand-Dad, 43%abv. I have been enjoying that. But, my greatest American rye bottling is Rittenhouse Rye 21. This is a bold and spicey, "take no prisoners" rye which I have loved. I have just a drop left and, however stupid it may sound, can't bring myself to finish the bottle. If I am lucky enough to get my hands on another bottle, I will send you a sample or better yet, pick you up one!
Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:02 pm

Musky,
I forgot to ask, and to get this thread back on track :wink: , have you sampled the JK Hall Small Batch Reserve? Last September, when it was released in Ontario, Harry and I spent the day at Forty Creeks distillery going on a tour and picking up our orders. Our bottles were preordered and part of the fun was that we could pick our number sequence. The Lot number is 104 which John Hall chose because it represented the birthday month and day of his two grandchildren, something like: tenth month, fourth day; and, in reverse fourth month, tenth day. I thought that was a lovely personal touch.
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:15 pm

Wendy;
Sadly, I've not had the opportunity to try the John Hall Sma' batch reserve as yet. I could probably arange to have one shipped up here through the local LC, 'though. This week I'm headed to Winnipeg for the Brier so will check at Grant Park MLCC for a sample or two, if it's there.

Kicking myself for not going to the winery/distillery when I was in St Catherines a year or so back. I was a lot closer then than I am now.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:03 pm

I had the opportunity to taste the Forty Creek John K. Hall Small Batch Reserve (Thanks Wendy). I think it is a kind of light rye whisky. I always get anise from rye whisky. This one is kind of chewy, in that it gets my mouth moving. I also get that nutty flavour that Wendy mentioned, along with soft grain, some oak. There's also something else there that I recognise but can't put my finger on. Lovely. Very gentle.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder