Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Famous Grouse

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Famous Grouse , The Famous Grouse

The Famous Grouse

Postby emagination » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:26 am

So I picked up a bottle of this tonight for the first time. Just the original, no age expression. I picked up a bottle of the Balvenie DW as well but wanted to grab a decently priced blend along with it for general mixing purposes. Well I'm drinking this straight right now and I'm quite enjoying it. Perhaps the several drams of DW has scalded my tongue a bit at this point but this seems far more sophisticated than, say, your Dewars or JW Red. The point was to grab something I wouldn't feel guilty about making a scotch and soda with but this stuff is actually quite good straight!

This makes me wonder how the aged expressions of the Grouse are. Anyone have any experience with these? Are they really worth the extra 10 bucks or so when you could put that 30-40 bucks total into a decent single malt?
emagination

Re: The Famous Grouse

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:50 pm

Well emagination, it seems that you have hit upon something. That being that the so called cheap scotch can be almost every bit as enjoyable as the high priced snob stuff. Ah yes, there is a difference, but be real is the difference that great, not really, it just tastes different, perhaps has more flavor, a different flavor - but taste is all in the mind of the beholder - you see.
In fact, you've helped me make up my mind - I'm going to go grap another bottle of FG, and nope I'd haven't, but I'd like to try the 12 year, probably not worth the extra bucks though, maybe, but who cares, really. This whole scotch world is just to filled with, good, better, best, always having to have the next, greatest 'dram', 'pour', 'malt', enough already, it's 'whiskey'...., it's time to stop the endless, fruitless presuit, wake up and smell the coffee already, in this case just stop and enjoy the scotch....you'll never learn to enjoy anything in life when you're on this endless pursuit to find the next holy grail of scotch, or excuse me 'dram'.
And don't dis' J Walker so quick, it's every bit as good as the Famous Gout - it just, all together now -- "Taste Different", there you go, now you're catching on :lol:
I'm turning more and more to cheaper blends these days and finding that they can be every bit as enjoyable as the "high priced spread" - beside it has always nagged me a bit that the powers to be in the scotch world are just hosing us down with the prices they are inflicting upon us for that foo-foo single malt stuff, when you know darn well that what actually goes in the bottle probably cost but a few dollars for the distillary to produce, we're getting soaked for marketing and hype is all, we'll not me, maybe you :P
Give me a blend any day, I don't want to feel like I'm drinking gold everytime I have to pour a glass of Lagavulin 16, and have to imagine all the 42 flavors and textures I read that bag of wind Jackson is telling me I'm suppose to be experincing, I prefer to just enjoy my drink, not analize it, thank you. If you're smart you'll do the same and quit paying attention to all these 'malt' gurus. :lol:
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby scotchwillie » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:57 pm

The Grouse is fantastic, isn't it? One of my absolute favorites. For those of you in the Chicago area, Binny's has the 1.75L bottles on sale through March 4th for a mere $25! Not sure if I'm going to take advantage of it yet, since I already have a mostly full bottle...

On the other hand, it's not like it's going to go bad -- or un-drunk... :)

Anyway, I haven't yet tried the other expressions, but I fully intend to. Pig's Nose was the first blend I ever liked, but the Grouse taught me that I do, in fact, like blended Scotch. :thumbsup:

-Will
scotchwillie

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:08 pm

I was given a bottle of Grouse vatted (or blended if you want to call it that) malt for Christmas which was really nice. No, not a blend, but a Grouse anyway.

:)
Deactivated Member

Postby Gov » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:44 pm

scotchwillie wrote:The Grouse is fantastic, isn't it? One of my absolute favorites. For those of you in the Chicago area, Binny's has the 1.75L bottles on sale through March 4th for a mere $25! Not sure if I'm going to take advantage of it yet, since I already have a mostly full bottle...

On the other hand, it's not like it's going to go bad -- or un-drunk... :)

Anyway, I haven't yet tried the other expressions, but I fully intend to. Pig's Nose was the first blend I ever liked, but the Grouse taught me that I do, in fact, like blended Scotch. :thumbsup:

-Will

You like "pig nose" ? Tasting notes please
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:05 pm

JohnyyGuitar wrote:......
In fact, you've helped me make up my mind - I'm going to go grap another bottle of FG, ..............it's 'whiskey'....

Actually, I think you'll find it's whisky :P

But yes, The Famous Grouse is quite drinkable, albeit totally different to most single malts.
Deactivated Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:52 pm

malt teaser wrote:
JohnyyGuitar wrote:
In fact, you've helped me make up my mind - I'm going to go grap another bottle of FG, ..............it's 'whiskey'....

Actually, I think you'll find it's whisky

OK - you got me :(
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby emagination » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:06 pm

Well having drank Balvenie DW before the Grouse I can say with certainty that the Grouse doesn't stand up to it's complexity delicateness, but that's because it's not trying to be what the DW is. The Grouse is a good straightforward blend, and has done this very well from the glass i had. So that said, I'm not about to abandon my pursuit of finding more single malts to love. I'm happy that i have found a great and affordable blend in the Grouse that can be easily enjoyed, but there's certainly room for the vast amount of different palettes that varying single malts can bring to the table. Sure, it's an expensive hobby, but I have patience. I have to. I don't have an infinite amount of funds. I have a ton of whiskies I want to buy, but have to slowly and discerningly make my way through the list.

JW Black isn't bad at all, but for the 30 US dollars it typically costs I think you could do so much more. Maybe it's been too long but I didn't like JW Red at all. Somehow I still finished the bottle though. Dewars is ok, I still have some though and side by side against the Grouse, there's no contest.
emagination

Postby Gov » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:33 am

Do yourself a favor and find a 1.75L bottle of Teacher's Highland Cream its around $30. A very complex blend that is fabulous. Also, look at Black Bottle and Islay Mist.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby scotchwillie » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:44 am

Gov wrote:You like "pig nose" ? Tasting notes please

Here's what I've got.

And as you say, Black Bottle is excellent too! :)

-Will
scotchwillie

Postby Gov » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:47 am

Thanks for sharing!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Les Paul » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:30 am

I find The Famous Grouse to be an EXCEPTIONAL blended whisky. Anyone who says any different will get a dose of Force lightning.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby nestor » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:57 am

I agree, The Famous Grouse is my milder blend of choice.
nestor

Postby killerwhale » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:21 am

FG is one of my favs.... though I will post that many SM have more depth but for just sitting back, enjoying a few drinks, FG is yummy :P
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:31 am

I would hope that no one would have the audacity to say FG is just as good an many single malts. This is totally untrue. FG is a decent dram, but it doesn't come close to offering the flavour complexity of SMS.

With scotch you get what you pay for.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:16 am

Elagabalus wrote:I would hope that no one would have the audacity to say FG is just as good an many single malts. This is totally untrue. FG is a decent dram, but it doesn't come close to offering the flavour complexity of SMS.

With scotch you get what you pay for.

"you get what you pay for"

I disagree. There are a lot of inexpensive blends and SM that are quite cheap. I do agree that most blends don't hold a candle to the complexity of a SMS. But, there are plenty of blends when imbibed alone and not compared are very good.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:09 am

Les Paul wrote:I find The Famous Grouse to be an EXCEPTIONAL blended whisky. Anyone who says any different will get a dose of Force lightning.

Can we see a picture of this lightening, I'm really curious.

The Famous Grouse 12 Vatted malt is a dangerous whisky, it's VERY drinkable.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Les Paul » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:54 am

Lawrence wrote:
Les Paul wrote:I find The Famous Grouse to be an EXCEPTIONAL blended whisky. Anyone who says any different will get a dose of Force lightning.

Can we see a picture of this lightening, I'm really curious.

The Famous Grouse 12 Vatted malt is a dangerous whisky, it's VERY drinkable.

Kneel before your master, Lawrence.

:D 8)
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:03 am

Shocking,

that's the Famous Grouse!

A Grand Dram!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:47 am

Yes, The Famous Grouse is a great blended whisky. :thumbsup:
It's smooth, rich, flavorful and easy to love.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Whisky Lounge » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:01 pm

Not a fan of the normal Grousy, find it a bit flat and over-caramelised, therefore too much sickly toffee for me. :yuk:
JW Black, BNJ, Six Isles (I know its a 'blended' malt, but still) would be my pick of the blends. :thumbsup:
The Whisky Lounge

Postby Gov » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:26 pm

I would be interested in hearing from those who have had the standard Grouse and the 12 year (non-vatted) Gold Reserve bottling. Which did you like better? Was there much difference?
Gov
Gold Member

Postby CousinLarry » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:20 pm

I picked up a bottle of the standard FG this weekend and I found it to be pretty good. Bland compared to SM and I do like JW Black better, but for a scotch and soda it is great stuff. It tastes good neat too.
CousinLarry

Postby Gov » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:00 pm

I've only had the Gold Reserve 12 yr Grouse. I liked it a lot, but I am thinking of getting the standard next. Could someone shoot me some tasting notes on the standard Grouse? Thanks!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby matthew2512 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:27 am

Gov wrote:Could someone shoot me some tasting notes on the standard Grouse? Thanks!

I havnt got a bottle at the moment, but here is Jim Murray's notes from the 2008 bible-
"N21. brusque, flinty grain which anchors the flighty malt; T23. comes into its own here with a fabulous heather-honey malt arrival which is at once soft but with a rod of steel through its spice with Speysiders bouncing off the grain. A flutter of busy spices help see off any early caramel involvement; F21. a touch sweeter and maltier than of late; at the death back to being much drier and Spartan; B22 remains sexy, elegant and refined with a stunning opening on the palate. The balance has improved of late with some extra subtle spices, punching through the threatening caramel making for an altogether busier blend."- Jim Murray Whisky Bible 2008
matthew2512
Silver Member

Postby killerwhale » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:55 am

if JM is too artsy for ya, I have FG on my link below.... I find FG blend very nice, sweeter than the 12 vatted and the 12 is more malty.... however, both are good in a pinch. FG is a bottle to have on ones' shelf.... best selling blend in Scotland if I recall.
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:57 pm

I like The Famous Grouse so much that I have it in a 5L oak barrel maturing further since the start of this month April. I never had it since last month and I was impressed.

And also to two of my favorite blends, Pigs Nose and Sheep Dip. I use to buy these all the time but not lately. Very good blended malt.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:46 pm

Thanks, I am going to pick up a 1.75L bottle priced very cheap!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:49 am

Got a dram of FG Gold 12 on the go as I write - a wedding gift from someone who knew simply that i "like whisky"

All i can say is it makes a very pleasant holiday from all those heavy Islays that sit on my whisky table!

Initial hit is reminiscent of the "old " Macallan 10. No surprise as Grouse contains macallan(and Highland Park if I remember) . Maybe not as satisfying as the Mac, but still very drinkable - and a bit more body than the standard Grouse if my memory serves me well. I've only ever drank Grouse in pubs when no malts are on offer...

Agree, though, that I nprefer JW Black, and Blackbush black label as blends - the only two I ever bought.
I was given a Compass Box Asyla malt/grain blend fro Easter, and that is magnificent!

Also brings to mind a corporate gig i was playing where the rich "full of it" Texan tycoon host got to hand out the raffle prizes. He proudly announced the winning prize, misreading the label as "a bottle of Famous Goose..."
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby hilliamash » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:55 am

Gov already said it, but Teacher's is a fantastic Blend that has a high malt content (~45%). For about 5 bucks more...White Horse is also a tasty blend that has a high malt content (similar to Teacher's...40-45%) and fairly smoke-based Islay friendly stuff.

I'm definitely interested in the Black Grouse when it comes around...
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby Stewart » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:15 pm

I enjoyed my first bottle of Famous Grouse 18 so much that I just got another bottle. It's the only FG I've tried. My first real full review of a whisky, FG 18:

Nose: mildly fruity, like a black currant/peach combo; milk chocolate pudding; malty and oaky; fumes remain close to the liquid.

Palate: sherry note well balanced with fruit note; malty; some water brings out the oak and a slight chocolate note.

Finish (neat): fiery, moderately long; slightly orangey; slightly bitter wood.

Reminds me of Balvenie DoubleWood, yet richer, rounder, more lively than that one. Last bottle of FG 18 I had, I remember tasting some spice, but I don't taste that yet this time around.

This is my favorite blend yet, and I've also tried Johnnie Walker Black, Chivas Regal 12, and a Dewar's (maybe the 12), though the CR 12 comes a close 2nd (then again, the FG is vatted, whereas I believe CR is not, so they're 2 different animals); maybe I'll try that CR 18 at some point, though I'm still hunting for a good single malt with mild to moderate peat with sherry, if that combination exists.
Stewart

Postby Gov » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:03 pm

CR 18 is noticably better than the CR 12, IMHO. That being said, CR 18 is NOT worth the price for it. The 12 is an excellent value, the 18 way over priced for what you get. As for a moderately peated sherry scotch, I would think Lagavulin 16 may fit the bill? I have two bottles on the way to my house and will arrive tomorrow. So, I cannot say for sure yet until I try it.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby oldrip57 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:18 am

Famous Grouse is, simply put, my favorite blended Scotch -- especially with the 1.75L only about $7 more than a 750ml around here!
The only thing that comes close, for me, is the (Dimple, in the U.S.) Pinch, which I refer to as "the single malt of blends", stylistically. But, it is much harder for me to find.
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby rabal260 » Thu May 01, 2008 1:18 am

As someone who enjoys the blended FG, I took the opportunity a few months back to buy a bottle of FG Vintage single malt 1992 and was quite excited about getting stuck into it. While it's ok, I must admit - in my opinion - it's not a match for the blend!
rabal260

Postby Di Blasi » Thu May 01, 2008 3:24 pm

rabal260 wrote:As someone who enjoys the blended FG, I took the opportunity a few months back to buy a bottle of FG Vintage single malt 1992 and was quite excited about getting stuck into it. While it's ok, I must admit - in my opinion - it's not a match for the blend!

Huh? FG single malt? Please explain rabal260, sounds interesting? Or is that a vintage blended malt?
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Related whiskies : Famous Grouse , The Famous Grouse

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder