Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan 12, Highland Park 12, JW Gold Label.

General chat and talk about whisky.

Macallan 12, Highland Park 12, JW Gold Label.

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:09 am

This weekend I went a bit over my budget and bought three bottles at my local liquor store. Macallan 12 (not the fine oak, which IMHO is god awful), Highland Park 12, and JW Gold Label. I'd have to honestly say that out of the three my favourite is the JW Gold. I know it is a blend but it is still a blend consisting only of single malts, with Clynelish as its base. Unfortunately, the LCBO does not stock Clynelish at all, and if I wanted any by special order I would have to import a whole case, which would be rather expensive.

I also found that I peferred the Highland Park 12 to the Macallan 12, but this is only slightly so, and probably because of the fact that I can get the HP 12 for 53 CDN whereas the Macallan is 85 CDN.

I am curious as to anyone elses' thoughts on these three whiskies.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Re: Macallan 12, Highland Park 12, JW Gold Label.

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:37 am

JW Gold does contain grain whisky- not only single malt. JW Green as a vatted malt, only containing malt whisky.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Zarathustra » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:05 am

I think you must have JW Green in mind. That's quite a nice drink, though I find it a little watery sometimes. Highland Park 12 suffers from the same defect, but their 15 and (even more so) their 18 are incredible. Macallan is for your sweet tooth, in my opinion.
Zarathustra

Postby hook55 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:56 am

lawschooldrunk wrote:Johny green has no clynelish in it, just talisker, cragganmore, caol ila, and linkwood.

Amen to that. :thumbsup: :angel: :) I love JW Green. :smoke: Thats something I could drink every day and don't get tired of. 8) :D and the price is very good compared to Single malts.
hook55
Silver Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:39 pm

No no no I am talking about JW Gold Label. I had understood that is was a blend of only malts, not grain whisky.

Can someone show me a site where is says JW Gold Label contains grain whisky?
Thank You
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:45 pm

Drrich1965 wrote:JW Gold does contain grain whisky- not only single malt. JW Green as a vatted malt, only containing malt whisky.

This is what I have read on JW Gold.

"JOHNNIE WALKER HISTORY

The Johnnie Walker Gold Label blends several whiskies that have all been aged at least 18 years. Blended whiskies, in general, can also contain grain alcohol, however, Johnnie Walker only uses single malts to blend for its Gold. Even though it says 18 years, you will find whiskies that are at least 2 decades old as 18 years is the bare minimum age of any addition.

A family company has always independently owned Johnnie Walker. Because of this, the Johnnie Walker still grows its own barley, carries out its traditional floor malting, and even employs its own barrel makers and coppersmiths."
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby hook55 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:40 pm

:D My next JW is going to be Gold :thumbsup: I love the Green and by the sounds of it? Gold is Better? :smoke: :D
hook55
Silver Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:46 pm

I had my first Green last night and I was pretty impressed. Was with a few friends so I didn't really examine it too closely, other than to say to myself, "Hey, this is pretty good." :o

Have to try it again!
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby jotter » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:20 pm

I'm positive gold is a blend. Although that said it is fantastic stuff and i would drink it ahead of a lot of other sms.
jotter

Postby martin grant » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:37 pm

JW Gold is reviewed in the blended section of the 2008 Whisky Bible. (scoring 90 points). The Green is reviewed in the vatted malt section (scoring 92 points). I guess this means that in Jim Murray's eyes anway, grain whisky is included in JW Gold
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:28 pm

Elagabalus wrote:No no no I am talking about JW Gold Label. I had understood that is was a blend of only malts, not grain whisky.

Thank You

No great sin drinking a blend with grain in it.... are we becoming a malt snob :P

Even JW Blue is a blend containing grain whisky...

Simplist way to find out is if you have a Whisky Bible look up the Blends section.

By the way the Green should be under the Vatted malt section and not blend section.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:28 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:
Elagabalus wrote:No no no I am talking about JW Gold Label. I had understood that is was a blend of only malts, not grain whisky.

Thank You

No great sin drinking a blend is there.... are we becoming a malt snob :P

Even JW Blue is a blend containing grain whisky...

Simplist way to find out is if you have a Whisky Bible look up the Blends section.

By the way the Green should be under the Vatted malt section and not blend section.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:29 pm

not again :(

Dooohhh !!!!!! :headbang:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:59 pm

martin grant wrote:JW Gold is reviewed in the blended section of the 2008 Whisky Bible. (scoring 90 points). The Green is reviewed in the vatted malt section (scoring 92 points). I guess this means that in Jim Murray's eyes anway, grain whisky is included in JW Gold

Last year he gave the gold 95!

i must say i am disappointed with the bottle i bought in DF. Just doesn't ring my bells like it did when i tried it(twice) in 2 different bars...

HP 12 is a particularly nice dram these days I find.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:00 pm

martin grant wrote:JW Gold is reviewed in the blended section of the 2008 Whisky Bible. (scoring 90 points). The Green is reviewed in the vatted malt section (scoring 92 points). I guess this means that in Jim Murray's eyes anway, grain whisky is included in JW Gold

Last year he gave the gold 95!

i must say i am disappointed with the bottle i bought in DF. Just doesn't ring my bells like it did when i tried it(twice) in 2 different bars...

HP 12 is a particularly nice dram these days I find.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Gold is a good beverage. I probably would take the Mac 12 over it myself. But I need to try Gold again. I think that I can get some at my local Costco...

You have my interest now...

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby lincoln imp » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:43 pm

I am going to stick my kneck out here but i prefer single malts over blends as very often they are a little "rougher" than blends, by that i mean they explode on the palate in a way that i personally find blends cannot. Recently i have tried Johnnie Walker Blue Label and Gold Label Centenary and found the Gold Label to be better. I have just tried Dewars Signature which is expensive for a blend and is the smoothest whisky i have tried . Smooth as silk, great taste and too hard to put down but, and its a big but, i miss the burn that a good malt gives you and for me as great as some blends are i like a good single malt that assaults my taste buds. It may not be smooth but i like it.
I hope this makes sense to some of you. :wink:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:25 am

I've tried the M12 and the HP12, both are very nice. JW Gold Label is one which I will be buying.

I've been buying a lot of "good" blends recently. Black Grouse, Black Bottle, Black Label, The Antiquary, Chivas Regal, Dewars Special Reserve. I like them all....a lot!!

To me the grain in blends is simply another type of whisky taste like peat, sherry, bourbon, rum etc.

Each mood has a whisky and I often have the mood for a blend.
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Gov » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:45 am

lincoln imp wrote:I am going to stick my kneck out here but i prefer single malts over blends as very often they are a little "rougher" than blends, by that i mean they explode on the palate in a way that i personally find blends cannot. Recently i have tried Johnnie Walker Blue Label and Gold Label Centenary and found the Gold Label to be better. I have just tried Dewars Signature which is expensive for a blend and is the smoothest whisky i have tried . Smooth as silk, great taste and too hard to put down but, and its a big but, i miss the burn that a good malt gives you and for me as great as some blends are i like a good single malt that assaults my taste buds. It may not be smooth but i like it.

It makes very good sense to me and all the SMS drinkers that have had blends, I am sure, can relate. I think that the average joe scotch drinker prefers the smooth kind of scotch and bases how good the scotch is by what little burn or spice it may have. To me that means they prefer blends. I guess that is why blends make up 90 percent of the scotch market.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:14 am

lincoln imp wrote:I am going to stick my kneck out here but i prefer single malts over blends as very often they are a little "rougher" than blends, by that i mean they explode on the palate in a way that i personally find blends cannot. Recently i have tried Johnnie Walker Blue Label and Gold Label Centenary and found the Gold Label to be better. I have just tried Dewars Signature which is expensive for a blend and is the smoothest whisky i have tried . Smooth as silk, great taste and too hard to put down but, and its a big but, i miss the burn that a good malt gives you and for me as great as some blends are i like a good single malt that assaults my taste buds. It may not be smooth but i like it.

Makes sense to me, too, imp! When I hear someone compliment a whisky as "smooth", I know that they either lack any kind of descriptive vocabulary, or just don't know squat about good whisky. It's my peeve as a descriptor. Good whisky is not bloody Kenny G.
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:42 am

Yeh, but...whilst I too love "a bit of ruff!" i'm always enchanted by a malt which is powerful, but///for want of better word, "smooth". just glides across your toungue , wrapping it in flavour. I had an OMC Macallan like that. Even at 56% it unravelled like a rich carpet. Lagavulin 16's a bit like that for me, whereas Ardbeg ain't "velvetty" at all, tho' it has been a favourite for 5/6 years.

BTW, nice to know you're alive and kickin', Mr. TH!(my initials too as it happens...)
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:38 am

"For want of a better word" is the operative phrase, RB--at least it is all too often. I understand what you are saying, though.

So hey, my fellow TH, will the next kid be named Bunn Ahab?
Deactivated Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:52 am

I find the Springbank 1997 vintage at 55.2% the same way you find the Macallan OMC :D
Reggaeblues wrote:Yeh, but...whilst I too love "a bit of ruff!" i'm always enchanted by a malt which is powerful, but///for want of better word, "smooth". just glides across your toungue , wrapping it in flavour. I had an OMC Macallan like that. Even at 56% it unravelled like a rich carpet. Lagavulin 16's a bit like that for me, whereas Ardbeg ain't "velvetty" at all, tho' it has been a favourite for 5/6 years.

BTW, nice to know you're alive and kickin', Mr. TH!(my initials too as it happens...)
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:58 am

The HP12 w/gift pack glasses is only $29.99 here. With the value of the Canadian dollar, let me know if you want some of these. I'll ship it to you at cost!!!!

The liquor store near me has about 10 of them.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby DrChimRichalds » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:07 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:

Makes sense to me, too, imp! When I hear someone compliment a whisky as "smooth", I know that they either lack any kind of descriptive vocabulary, or just don't know squat about good whisky. It's my peeve as a descriptor. Good whisky is not bloody Kenny G.

You guys are right on here! SM's have to have that pop and I don't ever look for "smooth" in a malt. Call me a snob I don't care, the blends don't generally have that "assault" that SM's do. :yuk:
DrChimRichalds

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder