Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie 17 New Oak

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Balvenie 17 New Oak

Postby bcrossan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:37 pm

I am new to the world of single malts (within the last year) and even newer to this site since I just stumbled upon it. Man have I missed out because what a great site this is!!

The question I have is about the Balvenie 17 New Oak. I am a huge DW 12 fan so of course it wasn't a stretch for the me to try this. The only press I have been able to find on this is that it is a limited release so I bought a couple bottles. I also found out recently that the 17 gets released every so often with different wood finishes (the last was Sherry?). So what I am wondering is do these become valuable with time or are they not that highly thought of? I think I can get a few mores bottles in a local store and trying to determine whether or not to buy more and store them.

bcrossan
Silver Member

Re: Balvenie 17 New Oak

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:05 pm

From The Whisky Exchange:

A new line from Balvenie, finished in new American oak casks. We know what you're thinking - how is it different to last year's 'New Wood' bottling? Well, it's quite simple: 'New Wood' didn't specify what kind of casks were used for the initial maturation, while this is announced as a marriage of Bourbon and Sherry wood casks! Also, it's 43% rather than 40%. And, most importantly, 'New Wood' was a never-to-be-repeated release, whereas this is a 'First Bottling'. You see? Totally different.
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder