Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

GLENMORANGIE 1977 OR ARDBEG LORD OF THE ISLES?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

GLENMORANGIE 1977 OR ARDBEG LORD OF THE ISLES?

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:48 pm

I'm wanting to tuck another bottle under the bed as an 'investment'.

I've selected "Glenmorangie 1977" and "Ardbeg Lord of the Isles" as the two possibles.

Of just these two (no other suggestions please), which do you think would be the best please?
Deactivated Member

Re: GLENMORANGIE 1977 OR ARDBEG LORD OF THE ISLES?

Postby Ganga » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:03 pm

I'd suggest that based on the current market that Ardbeg LOTI is more collectible. However, you know those fickle people, it can change overnight.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby jotter » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:04 pm

Surely the 1977 if only because it is a vintage. Loads of Lord of the isles still out there i would expect.
jotter

Postby badgerbrown » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:34 pm

LOTI is apparently out of stock at Ardbeg now and there won't be any more around for a while, so I'd go for that. It's already started to go up in value in the last couple of months.
badgerbrown

Postby suffolkwhisky » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:35 pm

The 1977 is currently attracting higher prices but the LOTI is better!
suffolkwhisky

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:19 pm

The problem with LOTI is they keep bringing out new expressions.

On the other hand how collectable is the GlenMo to be quite honest I don't know
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:52 am

For investment potential, go the Glenmo '77.

For flavour, go the LOTI.

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:13 pm

Thanks boys.

I think that the "Glenmo 1977" wins the day, as its a vintage expression that's defo. been discontinued.

By contrast, "Ardbeg Lord of the Isles" is non-vintage and may possibly be re-issued.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:50 pm

If you are simply buying to invest, then you have to ask yourself whether these two whiskies aren't "all of their money" as David Dickenson would say. I would hold fire and, if I had to spend on whisky, go for whatever limited Ardbegs you can find in the £30 price bracket (silly, very silly, still silly, etc.). But I am not persuaded that whisky is a very good investment right now.
Deactivated Member

Postby The Whisky Lounge » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:37 pm

Current Lord of the Isles states 25 Years Old but Ardbeg was not distilling in 1982 (assuming current batch was bottled in 2007), in fact you have to go back to 1980/early '81 for this period. Therefore this is becoming very rare - for real this time! - and would be my pick.
There will be no new Lord until 2015 at the earliest and the current bottling will gradually phase out - they have pretty much exhausted stocks now. Added to the fact it is a fantastic whisky, you have my vote!
The Glenmo is good, but is a re-release and bottled in 2002/03 I believe. Tastes pretty good and more honest than many of the finishes.
Hope this helps!
The Whisky Lounge

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:57 pm

I guess that the great joy of single malt as a potential 'investment' is that you're not left with something worthless if the bubble bursts. You simply grab a Glencairn glass, pop the cork, and enjoy a glorious dram! A no lose call.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:59 pm

eelbrook wrote:I guess that the great joy of single malt as a potential 'investment' is that you're not left with something worthless if the bubble bursts. You simply grab a Glencairn glass, pop the cork, and enjoy a glorious dram! A no lose call.

The same is true of war bonds. I believe they make attractive wallpaper.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:45 pm

Of those two, I would say definitely either the Glenmorangie 1977, or the Ardbeg Lord of the Isles.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:03 pm

Glenmorangie (Ardbeg Distillery Shop) offered me a bottle of "Ardbeg Lord of the Isles" today for £195 (plus £8 p&p). Insane price. I refused.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:09 pm

Maybe this thread can help?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7845
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:23 pm

The trouble with a lot of Internet whisky shopping sites is that they don't update their sites.

Only this morning, I phoned up to check on a bottling shown as available on a shop's website.
The owner told me that they'd had none in stock for weeks and had a waiting list!
Deactivated Member

Postby suffolkwhisky » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:29 pm

Ok. Not sure about other people but am confused by some comments. My understanding is that there have only been two batches of LOTI and that is not made clear. It is certainly not every year. The original version is from the 70s and so was the second one: it is only considered another one as some people can spot a difference in taste (it seems even older).

Comments?
suffolkwhisky

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:04 am

I'm no Ardbeg expert, but my understanding is that the distillery was effectively shut from 1981-1989.

Also, that the last "Lord of the Isles" was distilled in 1981 and bottled in 2006 (ie 25yo).

Stands back and waits to be shot down for inaccuracies.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:44 pm

That might explain the absence of stated vintage bottles from 1980-81 (except the Kildaltons, of course).
Deactivated Member

Postby The Whisky Lounge » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:33 pm

My understanding is that LOTI HAS been bottled every year for quite some time and it is only now that stocks have reached absolute critical mass. Every subsequent batch has been smaller as a balancing act of using the available stocks for the single cask editions as well as LOTI became an issue.
Eelbrook there is nothing wrong with your info aside from the fact that the last batch was bottled in 2007 making it at least 26, but more likely 27 or 28 years old. Remember it is not a specific vintage...

None of this really matters however. The current situation is that I would bet my mother's wooden leg that there will be very little/none of this left within the next few years.

Doesn't surprise me the price has gone up at the distillery - I always thought it underpriced compared to the likes of Macallan 25. I'm sure you'll find someone still selling it at £150ish.

Try...
http://www.wineandwhisky.co.uk
http://www.whisky-online.com

Good Luck!
The Whisky Lounge

Postby I_SPEY » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:24 pm

Ganga wrote:I'd suggest that based on the current market that Ardbeg LOTI is more collectible. However, you know those fickle people, it can change overnight.

I agree with you, Ganga, although, if I had some money left, I would buy the Glemorangie 1977 as well!

To my opinion, Ardbeg is nicer in the finish.But...

:)
:thumbsup:
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder