Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig 10 vs. Ardbeg 10

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Laphroaig 10 vs. Ardbeg 10

Postby OKDiver1 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:57 am

I do not have an extensive experience with Single Malts, but what I do know is that I truly enjoy what you all describe as the "Big Peats".

My everyday drink is Islay Mist-- good peat on a budget.

But Lag 16, Talisker 10 and Laphroaig 10 make me very, very happy. So much emotion in such a small glass. I have quite a few others on the shelf (A'bunadh #13, Aberlour 15 -- not 16 -- sherry wood finish, HP 12, HP 18, Strathisla 12, CI 12, Balvenie DW, Yamazaki 18 and the honorable JWBlack); however, no matter how hard I try, for some reason I always go back to "that" peat. A dram of Laphroaig 10 just puts a big, stupid smile on my face.

Anyway, now that my nose, taste spuds and throat are burned in peat forever, my question is this: the store I usually go to (not that many choices in Toledo, OH - USA) just got a few bottles of Ardbeg 10 in. From what I've read on this forum and others, it would fit right in with my profile. I assume it would be somewhat close to the Laphroaig 10.

But how close, and how different?
Please let me have your expert thoughts on this, (and on my "big peat" disability as well).
Thanks,
OKDiver1
OKDiver1
Silver Member

Re: Laphroaig 10 vs. Ardbeg 10

Postby shoganai » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:16 am

Definitely try the Ardbeg 10. While Ardbeg & Laphroaig are both smoke/peat monsters, to me Laphroaig is more seaweed & fruit while Ardbeg is more vanilla/chocolate & tar. Both are A+ drams. You will like Ardbeg.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:57 am

Yes, Ardbeg 10, good stuff :D It will definetly make you stand up and take notice.

More dry, medicinal and phenol tasting than Laphroaig 10, in a good way, and probably more so than any other scotch or Islay for that matter.... Kind of leaning in the direction of a Coal Ila 10, if you are familiar with that. Did you mention if you've tried Bowmore yet ? The Bowmore Legend is reasonably priced and will give you an idea of Bowmore is all about, and see if you'd wanna' venture up in their line. The Bowmore Dawn and Dusk are Ohhhhhh so good, the peat and the sherry/port finish works well.
And don't overlook my ol' fav' ........JWR, it's an acquired taste, you know, for the more discriminating amoung us.
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:01 am

Are you an employee of JW? Not everything revolves around your selection of JWR as the end all be all. The subject is Laphroaig 10 vs. Ardbeg 10.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Knolly » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:58 am

Hey OKDiver1!

They are both great whiskies - I was just drinking the Ardbeg 10 last night, then switched over to Laphroaig 30 year to finish off the evening! Both are super yummy despite a huge price difference.

As others will probably tell you, there are some great whiskies in this range - you've already mentioned the lagavulins and the Caol Ilas as well which are definitely worth having.

If you like Laphroaig, well in my opinion the big three (Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Ardbeg) are all equally great, but have their differences that will appeal more or less to you as an individual. For example, I like the standard releases from Lagavulin and Laphroaig more than I like the standard releases from Ardbeg (though the early Oogie was awesome!). That being said, one of the best whiskies I've ever had was a 1974 Ardbeg Provenance - a truly stunning bottle - so it can go any way. And (luckily for us in North America) Laphroaig 30 year old is relatively cheap here for such as smooth and fantastic whisky. Finally, the power of the Lagavulin 12 year old cask strength is awesome and one of my favourite bottles to crack into. The Laga21 (also cask strength) is also mind blowing good, but in the $300 USD price range and hard to find.

So, if you already have the Laga 16 and the Laphroaig 10, then you must have a bottle of Ardbeg Ten, if only to compare (but you'll probably highly enjoy it as well). And, if in the end you find that personally nothing compares to Laphroaig, then you definitely have to pick up other bottles of Laphroaig:

The Laphroaig cask strength is the big hitter and if you like the peat of the Laphroaig 10, then you MUST have this!

The Laphroaig Quarter Cask is a beautifully complex whisky - simply marvelous and at around $50 one of the best daily drinking whiskies in the market

The Laphroaig 15 is somewhat controversial - Jim Murray doens't rate it very highly, but personally I think it's a great whisky. A softer side of Laphroaig, but a hint of what comes in the 30 year old.

And, the Douglais Laing OMC Laphroaig bottlings have typically been excellent. I just tried the new 18 year old offering the other month and I'm going to pick up a bottle of it in the next little while.

Bruichladdich has some cool peated bottles as well: the 3D is a peat monster and overall a very tasty whisky of the same quality level as the Laphroaig 10. It's not a smooth whisky by any means, but the peat is fully kicking it!

Finally, for something a little different check out the peated BenRiachs. The 12 year old Curiositas is pretty tasty and I really like the 21 year old Authenticus.

Hope this helps - cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:02 am

Nice insights Knolly. I feel like I need to go back through all these lines of whisky...again. :P

I've never understood the reputation of the Lap 15 yo; it's my favorite in their line. Good, subtle Islay.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Knolly » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:40 am

Ganga wrote:Nice insights Knolly. I feel like I need to go back through all these lines of whisky...again. :P

I've never understood the reputation of the Lap 15 yo; it's my favorite in their line. Good, subtle Islay.

Ya, I totally hear you on the Lappy 15 - I like the 15 yo so much that I just picked up a case of it! Put it down to "Future Laphroaig availability paranoia" or something along those lines!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Newbie » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:32 pm

Hmm even though Laphroaig is marketed as the most strongly flavoured Islay whisky, I tried the Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig 10 back to back and I thought the Ardbeg had a stronger taste profile with it being slighty sweeter and peatier.

Both great whiskies and I would strongly recommend them both!
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:11 pm

Ganga wrote:Nice insights Knolly. I feel like I need to go back through all these lines of whisky...again. :P

I wanted a Laphroaig QC last week and couldn't see one in my local Oddbins so, unable to make up my mind, I asked the fella if I should get a Lap 15 or Ardbeg Oogie. He told me they're pretty much the same and there's not really anything between them. I hate our Oddbins. I told him he hadn't inspired me and I left to buy a Lap 15 and a QC from Booths across the road instead.
:evil: :roll:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:29 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:unable to make up my mind, I asked the fella if I should get a Lap 15 or Ardbeg Oogie. He told me they're pretty much the same and there's not really anything between them.

If he didn't have a clue he should have said so. I can't understand why people would rather feed you bullshit that just be honest.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:34 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:I asked the fella if I should get a Lap 15 or Ardbeg Oogie. He told me they're pretty much the same and there's not really anything between them.

The Laph 15 must have changed since i bought one as the Laph 15 and Oogie are two totally different entities IMO !

Regarding the original question the last Laph 10 i tried was a wishy - washy affair compare with stuff of the past whereas the Ardbeg Ten has never failed to deliver !
Go for the TEN it's much better....
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:37 pm

Not much difference between a Lap 15 and an Oogie? Hah! Pull the other one!!

Having said that, I am sad at the gradual demise of Oddbins. Happy memories...great whiskies...staff usually helpful esp. with samples...and the Australian behind the counter in Notting hill who was proud of his range of what he pronounced as "Izzly Malts!"

I loved Lap 10 until I discovered the Ardbeg 10 and agree with Newbie that it has , maybe not a stronger taste profile, but a wider one...My house has not been without Ardbeg 10 for at least 4 years - I can't say that of any other whisky, and there's lots i like (with others Ardbegs flitting in and out - Oogies, a 17, a "beast" , the entire "Silly" range, and a '77, which was the mutt's nuts!)

That said, I occasionally get given a Laphroaig 10(haven't bought one since I've been buying Ardbeg!)and I must say, it is great to revisit. Unique...the most medicinal nose of them all. A great dram.

But if there was a gun to my head to choose the A 10 or the L 10, it would have to be the Ardbeg...by a nose(not to mention a palate and a finish!)
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:01 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:Regarding the original question the last Laph 10 i tried was a wishy - washy affair compare with stuff of the past whereas the Ardbeg Ten has never failed to deliver !
Go for the TEN it's much better....

Err, I forgot about the original question ... , but in any case Gordon said it for me. :thumbsup:

Buy the Ardbeg.
Willie JJ

Postby Gov » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:04 pm

shoganai wrote:Definitely try the Ardbeg 10. While Ardbeg & Laphroaig are both smoke/peat monsters, to me Laphroaig is more seaweed & fruit while Ardbeg is more vanilla/chocolate & tar. Both are A+ drams. You will like Ardbeg.

This, IMHO, sums it up quite well. Definately get a bottle of Ardbeg!!

BTW, isn't Islay Mist a great blend? I like it better than Black Bottle which is similiar and very good as well.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:33 pm

Oops, also forgot to answer the question. Some great descriptions here. Yes buy the Ardbeg 10 :)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:54 pm

Despite the passionate responses of my fellow forum member who say "ardbeg in all situations"
:wink:
I have to suggest Laphroaig 10, it's a better whisky IMHO but don't leisten to us, buy both and see for yourself.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:05 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:
I am sad at the gradual demise of Oddbins. Happy memories...great whiskies...staff usually helpful esp. with samples...and the Australian behind the counter in Notting hill who was proud of his range of what he pronounced as "Izzly Malts!"

Hi RB ,
Personally i would say the demise has been going on years , in the 90's they were a great whisky shop when no one else was around , i had 2 shops within 5 miles of me , staff in both of the shops were well trained , the managers were more than helpful ( one chased down a bottle of the original Oddbins Ardbeg 74 for me , kept me informed what was happening ) . They had some great bottlings on their shelves then , they even stocked Cadenheads ! I noticed a change about the time Laddie released their first Editions (10,15,20) , i'd just missed buying them on Islay ( found out they had them on the Friday night in the Lochside when i was leaving on the early Saturday ferry !) and knew Oddbins would be the first to have them , So i went in on the date they were released nation wide and asked if they had the new Bruichladdichs in , "oh yes" was the reply then the guy put the old releases in front of me ! Pointing out the slight difference in livery and shape of Tin/Bottle , he then said "Urr no nothing about them" then decided to dig out the staff news letter (in which they were included ) and said "oh yes , never got around to reading this....." .
After that it got progressively worse in both shops , lots of eye rolling on visits.... :roll:

Luckily the other decent whisky sellers in Newcastle (Fenwicks) have upped their game !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Maakun » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:08 pm

Lawrence wrote:I have to suggest Laphroaig 10, it's a better whisky IMHO but don't leisten to us, buy both and see for yourself.

Since he already has that one he should buy the Ardbeg :)
Maakun

Postby OKDiver1 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:46 pm

Thank you all for your responses, and for the valuable input. I am on my way out to get a bottle of the Ardbeg 10 -- whith a head to head tasting vs. the Laphroaig 10 planned for tomorrow night.

Tonight, a Laphroaig dinner: a few oysters on the half-shell, and a plate of scottish smoked salmon.

As far as the Bowmore Legend, yes I have tried it. As a matter of fact, it was the first Islay I had a few years back. Not bad at all, especially at this price point. The Legend is what I drink when I am out of my everyday Island Mist. Another decent, but not great, cheap Islay is the McClelland. Good for less than $20 on sale here. I was disappointed in the Black Bottle. Complex, but not a lot of backbone in my opinion -- too much of the grain comes out. For 5 or 6 dollars more, you get a Lappy 10, and then you are really in business.

Thank you again for your responses.
OKDiver1
OKDiver1
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:52 pm

I'd suggest that there is quite a bit of difference between the Laphroaig and Ardbeg 10s. I find Laphroaig to be more medicinal and Ardbeg to be a bit fruitier. However, Ardbeg should fit right in with your profile. :D
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:44 pm

Agreed Nick. The 15 is very good I think, but the best reasonably priced OB Laphroaig is the CS 10 IMO.
Willie JJ

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:51 pm

As previously mentioned i find the Laph 10 weak , i've never understood the appeal of the 15 but i did like the QC .
The only recent Laphroaigs i've recommended have been the latest SMWS bottlings they have been a revelation especially the older (18yo) ones.
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Gov » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:59 pm

I just took the Pepsi challange with these two. Laphroaig won! I like the more medicinal, seaweed, richness of it over the Ardbeg. The Ardbeg was quite good, but with the costs rising, I will be replenshing the Laphroaig 10 and not the Ardbeg 10.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:07 pm

Collector57 wrote:Gordon, is there a current Lap SMWS bottling that you would have in mind? I may have to order one just to see :)

Sorry Nick just spotted this , i looked thru my records and i was sure there had been a few of late but couldn't find them ! The one i definitely could find was one of the Whisky with....
....with Friends 29.53 (Laphroaig)
Distilled - March 1988
Bottled - May 2006
Age - 18yo
ABV - 60.8%
Colour - Ripe Barley .
Nose - Pungent ! Peat , smoke , iodine , the Laphroaig of old !
Taste - Wow ! Twice wow !! Nae triple wow !!! Bags of Iodine , a very sweet peatness , but oh so smooth .
Finish - Long ! and sweet with that lovely iodine lingering on ...and on ...and on.....
This late teenager puts the distillery 10yo CS to shame , this has got to be the best Froyge I've tried for many a year , this takes me back to my early 20's and the tasting of the 10yo beast ....oh happy days !

Got a bit carried away there....... :wink:

Positive there's been more since then !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:11 pm

I enjoy the Lappy CS a lot and always drink it neat. I find the reg 10 not strong enough and watery IMO. Whereas the ardbeg at 46% is perfect for me. Given a choice I'd go to the Ardbeg any day.
Between the Lap. CS. or the QC and the A10 I would have a much harder choice.
and the 1989 feis ile Laphroaig takes some beating!
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:49 pm

woodhill wrote:I enjoy the Lappy CS a lot and always drink it neat. I find the reg 10 not strong enough and watery IMO. Whereas the ardbeg at 46% is perfect for me.

I second that, although I do like stronger Ardbegs too.
Willie JJ

Postby randall fairbrook » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:24 am

before i knew any better after having only tried the laphroaig 10..i thought it was the best out there....and then i had the laga 16 and boy was i mistaken..and then i had the ardbeg 10 and was so impressed i had to write a poem to it....

the laga 16 is handsome and proper, the ardbeg 10 is bold and bacony and all encompassing...
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:18 am

What I am I missing. I find the Laph fuller body tasting than the Ardbeg. I know Ardbeg is 46% and Laph 43%. I do like both a lot, but like I said the Laph a bit more. It seems most people think the opposite. I have not had the Laga 16 yet, and am dying to get a bottle.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Knolly » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:52 am

Gov wrote:What I am I missing. I find the Laph fuller body tasting than the Ardbeg. I know Ardbeg is 46% and Laph 43%. I do like both a lot, but like I said the Laph a bit more. It seems most people think the opposite. I have not had the Laga 16 yet, and am dying to get a bottle.

It's all personal preference of course. And, some days I have trouble deciding myself which ones I like better.

However, you ABSOLUTELY NEED to have a bottle of the Laga16 - I think a lot of people would rank it as one of the top quality and highly enjoyable regularly available whiskies on the market. It's definitely more expensive than either the Laph10 or the Ardbeg TEN, but I think that the price increase is justified: it is a phenomenal whisky.

Cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:53 am

Humm......sounds like all a matter of personal taste to me.

Other than the Lap 10, the rest are all way over-priced, do yourself a favor and grap the Lap 10 and a bottle of JWR.
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby Maakun » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:33 pm

JohnyyGuitar wrote:Humm......sounds like all a matter of personal taste to me.

Other than the Lap 10, the rest are all way over-priced, do yourself a favor and grap the Lap 10 and a bottle of JWR.

Ofcourse it's all personal taste...

As for overpriced, here a one liter bottle of Ardbeg is 36 euro, JWR is 21. Personally I gladly pay 15 euro's more for the Ardbeg...
Maakun

Postby Gov » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:01 pm

JohnyyGuitar wrote:Humm......sounds like all a matter of personal taste to me.

I prefer JW Black over Red
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:59 am

After a few more tasting sessions with these two, I feel the need to change my opinion. Of the two, Ardbeg is the better dram! I was a bit hasty with my decision before. Ardbeg is truely amazing stuff! After drinking a dram of the Ardbeg followed by the Laphroaig, I noticed that the Laph was a wee bit flat in comparision. Something I would not notice if I was just drinking the Laphroaig alone.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:55 pm

Gov wrote:After a few more tasting sessions with these two, I feel the need to change my opinion. Of the two, Ardbeg is the better dram! I was a bit hasty with my decision before. Ardbeg is truely amazing stuff! After drinking a dram of the Ardbeg followed by the Laphroaig, I noticed that the Laph was a wee bit flat in comparision. Something I would not notice if I was just drinking the Laphroaig alone.

Have you tried it the other way around i.e. the Lap first and the Ardie next....

or a day apart with them fresh in your mind.

I find that Ardie, Laga & Lap can some times be too powerful to taste one ofter each other and can influence an opinion on what comes after.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Gov » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:44 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:
Gov wrote:After a few more tasting sessions with these two, I feel the need to change my opinion. Of the two, Ardbeg is the better dram! I was a bit hasty with my decision before. Ardbeg is truely amazing stuff! After drinking a dram of the Ardbeg followed by the Laphroaig, I noticed that the Laph was a wee bit flat in comparision. Something I would not notice if I was just drinking the Laphroaig alone.

Have you tried it the other way around i.e. the Lap first and the Ardie next....

or a day apart with them fresh in your mind.

I find that Ardie, Laga & Lap can some times be too powerful to taste one ofter each other and can influence an opinion on what comes after.

Excellent point! I will again have to re-evaluate. I love the information I have gotten on this forum!

Thanks
Gov
Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder