Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Jameson 12 or Bushmills Black Bush

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Jameson 12
39%
Black Bush
51%
Neither
10%

Total votes : 59

Postby Gov » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:30 pm

I have only been drinking Powers Gold Label as far as Irish goes and I want to try something else. I have had Black Bush and like it, but never Jameson 12. I have had Jameson NAS and thought is was OK, but not as good as Powers. I would of put Powers 12 on the list, but it is no where to be found by me. Anyway, the Jameson is only $1 more than what I can get Black Bush for. I would want the one that would be a more complex drink. It would be drank neat of course.

Thanks
Gov
Gold Member

Re: Jameson 12 or Bushmills Black Bush

Postby Wave » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:52 pm

At the same price I like the Bushmill 10 year old Single malt more than Black Bush but usually when I'm in the Irish whiskey mood my favs is for a few dollars more, the Connemara Peated Single malt.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby hddyt » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:04 pm

Both are very good Irish blends. It depends on your mood. Jameson12 will have more of the traditional potstill character (spicier) and BB will have more of the single malt character. Why not buy both? For the $$, Power's is a very good value and beats both the regular Jameson and White Bush for taste. And definitely try the Redbreast 12YO. Awesome!

By the way, if you are into Irish whiskeys, you can purchase hard to find whiskeys (Powers 12 YO, Greenspot, etc.) from the Celtic Whiskey Shop located in Dublin. They have a great website and internet sales and ship to the US.

Slainte!
hddyt

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:11 pm

I actually prefer the BlackBush over the Bushmills 10yo

but I'm going to say the Jameson 12 as a recommendation especially if it is only a dollar more. Ignore Jameson nas as it not at the races in comparison with powers or any of the 3 above and to me is quite a boring drink produced for the masses but that is only my opinion :wink: .

There is plenty going on in Jameson 12 but I don't know if it has complexity as a scotch drinker would try and look for. There is a lot going on in there though and I would describe it as magical harmony where all the parts form to give you one great whiskey rather than try to be recognised as separate entities . It is and lovely smooth (as only us Irish can be :lol: ) but also rich and has plenty of mouth filling flavour so don't fear that it will be a simple straight forward whiskey either.

The BlackBush is good too but more like a Auchentoshan 3 wood so the Jameson 12 will be a very different but rewarding experience in my opinion.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:09 am

I voted for the Jameson 12. Mainly because it's more my style of whiskey. I always prefer the Bushmills 10 when I don't know what it is. I think it's a nice whiskey - I'd prefer it to the Blackbush, but most people are the other way, I think.
Aidan

Postby IainB » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:40 am

I'm with IWC on the Black Bush over the Bushmills 10yo. The 10yo is fine but a bit on the light side - the BB is bigger and spicier. As blends go it's closer to a single malt than most - being, I think, about 80% malt.

Generally though, of the two listed, I'd go for the 12yo Jameson. Reasonably good value and a great ambassador for what they do at Midleton. I think it bears so little resemblance to the standard Jameson that it some ways to even give them the same name is misleading. It is definitely not just an older version of the same whiskey - the mix of pot still and grain is completely different - something like 50/50 on the standard and 80/20 inthe 12yo. (I'm open to correction on this!)

What's interesting also is that pretty much everyone here choses Powers NAS over Jameson NAS - is there anyone out there who prefers the biggest selling Irish????
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:51 am

The whiskey in the Jameson NAS is getting younger and younger, apparently. Used to be 6 to 8 yrs old, now it's 4 to 6 yrs.
Aidan

Postby IainB » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:13 pm

I have my own way of explaining some of the various Midleton blends to people. The marketing would suggest that Jameson NAS, Crested Ten and Jameson 12yo are varying ages of the same whiskey. If, however, you look at the grain percentage, Crested 10 and Jam12yo are much closer to Powers NAS and Powers 12YO.

So the first thing I say is to ignore Jameson NAS - it's a completely different make up.

The other 4 are all in the region 75-80% pot still. I explain the difference as being the maturation. So Powers and Powers 12 are the bourbon only maturation, while the Crested Ten and Jameson 12 are similar whiskes partially sherry matured. I know the type of pot still used in midleton can change, but I think it's a more sensible way of looking at it.

Does any of this make sense?
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Jon Barleycorn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:52 am

I voted for Jameson 12, it's my favorite Irish whisky under $40US so far. I keep hearing great things about Redbreast so I guess I'll have to find an excuse (like St. Patrick's Day) to spend a little more money and check it out. :mrgreen:
Jon Barleycorn

Postby Gov » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:15 pm

Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming! I would like to see more votes on this. It is looking like I will be getting a bottle of Jameson 12 in the near future!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:02 pm

Gov wrote:........... It is looking like I will be getting a bottle of Jameson 12 in the near future!

..... and a bottle of Redbreast after that :wink: :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Gov » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:36 pm

Should I skip the Jameson 12 and go right for Redbreast 12? I believe its about $12 more.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby sparky » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:48 am

Er... Redbreast 12 is better than both, but I voted for Jameson 12
sparky

Postby hook55 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:05 pm

:D I have not had a Irish whisky yet? But from what everybody has said I think I better try one :thumbsup: I think I have seen Jameson 12 and Black bush? I think? so next time I'm there I will buy one? thanks guys :thumbsup:
hook55
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:26 pm

Gov wrote:Should I skip the Jameson 12 and go right for Redbreast 12? I believe its about $12 more.

It's a hard one to call ..... Redbreast I think is far superior but it is quite different from say Balvenie or some of the sherry monsters.

The reason for my caution is there have been a few people on these forums over the years that could not get to grips with the potstill charachter and were dissappointed.

The only reason I suggested Jameson 12 as it is more approachable and very drinkable and not a more expensive mistake if it is not to your liking. Hence a better option when your only experimenting ...... but then again the Redbreast 12 is easy drinking too and not offensive.

Go on go for it ...... :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby MacAttack80 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:06 pm

I went for Black Bush. Jameson 12 is good but I like them about the same. Everyone was voting for the Jameson 12.
I wanted to give Black Bush some credit too.
Redbreast 12 is one of my favorite Irish Whiskies.
MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby rabal260 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:45 am

My tastes have changed since I first became a whiskey appreciater. I initially preferred the Bushmills 1608 to Black Bush, but now I prefer the Black Bush. However, having said that, in terms of quality, I'd take the Jameson 12 over the Black Bush. BB is a good regular tipple though.
Those two aside, Redbreast is awesome. For me, there's not much between it and Midleton Very Rare (apart from the price!!).
rabal260

Postby Ganga » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:24 am

I am more of a scotch whisky drinker; however, I do enjoy a glass of the Black Bush when at a restraunt. I have never been a big fan of the Jameson products but it may be time to give them another go around.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:38 pm

I am more of a scotch drinker also but enjoy them both, depending what is available.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Gov » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:08 pm

Just bought a bottle of Jameson 12 today being St. Patrick's day and all :P Anyway, this is my new favorite irish whiskey and one of my favorite blended whisk(e)y as well. The spicyness in it is what won me over! I really think Black Bush is very good as well, but J12 is a bit better.

Cheers!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Eric m » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:22 am

Jameson 12 is a everyday whiskey drink it often,clean ,light and a nice palate,the black Bush is more spicier to me and therefor it is more a nice drink to have on a eve in spring or autumn,warms you up a bit.I choose Black Bush.But they are both satisfiyng.
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby whiskeyme » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:13 pm

I have both 8) , and really, you should get both too :thumbsup: .
Of the two, I think that the Jameson 12 is better. I really like the flavors that blend very well together. A good whiskey for any time, any occassion. The Sherry influence is ripe and fresh. Yum

The Black Bush is by no means a bad whiskey! I find it has a bigger sherry influence that is a bit more spicy, warmer. Some unique flavors (like Banana) nutmeg and such. There is that standard Bushmills creaminess that is contantly floating about the palate. Not as well balanced as the Jameson 12, but a dram I do enjoy.
whiskeyme

Postby Gearóidmuar » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:00 am

All in all, Jameson 12 is my favourite whiskey, including Scotch. It is complex, has a great taste and the taste does not pall, as many Scotches do. Black Bush is not bad and the Bushmills single malt is very good. 12yr old Powers is also a marvellous whiskey as is Redbreast.
I drink lots of Scotches as well. At the moment I have JW Black, Green. Laphroaig, Caol Ila, Lagavullin, Talisker (yum) Aberlour (not great), Arran (Fab), Cragganmore, Glenkinchie, Glenfiddich and maybe more. I never drink the same one twice in a row. Were I to, it would be Jameson 12.
Gearóidmuar

Postby anationonfire » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:21 pm

I don't drink alot of either of these offerings but I do enjoy the big body and the oak hints in the Black Bush. I find that it has a better sherried character and a lengthier finish then the Jameson (on my palate any way) Although the Jameson has a better balance.

Both are very respectable blends and have no complaints about drinking either.
anationonfire
Gold Member

Postby RogerB » Thu May 08, 2008 4:16 pm

I like the Black Bush and Jameson's 12 a lot, but didn't care for Power's at all- very harsh finish to my taste buds.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu May 08, 2008 4:32 pm

I'll go with BB - A birthday present a couple of years back that did not last long. In a house full of SM scotch that says it all! My preferred " Irish" when in a pub...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby shulaw05 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:24 am

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't redbreast 12 also made by jameson? anywho, if i had a vote i'd go w/Jameson 12 (but i named my son Jameson, so i may be biased). is there a reason that jameson 18 year is not on the list?
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby Gearóidmuar » Fri May 09, 2008 6:58 am

Jameson 18yr old is very expensive. Almost as expensive as Midleton Very Rare. I've had a bottle of Midleton but never yet tasted the 18yr old.

Redbreast is made by Jameson. it used to be made in Dublin.
About 40 odd years ago the remaining Irish Distillers amalgamated into "Irish Distillers". All the whiskey is made in the enormous distillery in Midleton Co.Cork. Includes Paddy, Power's, Jameson, Jameson 12yr old, Jameson 12yr old distillery reserve, 18yr old, Midleton very rare, Redbreast, Tullamore Dew, Dunphy's, Green Spot etc.etc. The ones which aren't made here are made by the Cooley Distillery in Co.Louth, a newish distillery which revived some old names.
They make Connemara, Tyrconnell, Michael Collins, Kilbeggan, Locke's, etc.
Finally, there's Bushmills in Northern Ireland. They make good Protestant whiskey to sear the throat of any Catholic who might dare drink it!!. Their whiskies include Bushmills, 10yr old Malt, Black Bush, Choke the Pope, Hang the Papish etc. :D :D :D :D :D
Gearóidmuar

Postby shulaw05 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:21 am

good post Gearóidmuar...thanks for the info
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby IainB » Fri May 09, 2008 3:13 pm

Gearóidmuar wrote:Jameson 18yr old is very expensive. Almost as expensive as Midleton Very Rare. I've had a bottle of Midleton but never yet tasted the 18yr old.

Redbreast is made by Jameson. it used to be made in Dublin.
About 40 odd years ago the remaining Irish Distillers amalgamated into "Irish Distillers". All the whiskey is made in the enormous distillery in Midleton Co.Cork. Includes Paddy, Power's, Jameson, Jameson 12yr old, Jameson 12yr old distillery reserve, 18yr old, Midleton very rare, Redbreast, Tullamore Dew, Dunphy's, Green Spot etc.etc. The ones which aren't made here are made by the Cooley Distillery in Co.Louth, a newish distillery which revived some old names.
They make Connemara, Tyrconnell, Michael Collins, Kilbeggan, Locke's, etc.
Finally, there's Bushmills in Northern Ireland. They make good Protestant whiskey to sear the throat of any Catholic who might dare drink it!!. Their whiskies include Bushmills, 10yr old Malt, Black Bush, Choke the Pope, Hang the Papish etc. :D :D :D :D :D

Of course John Jameson was a Scottish protestant, you know. And in the early days of independance the big distillers were denounced in the Dail as the last remnants of the ascendancy.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Gearóidmuar » Fri May 09, 2008 6:58 pm

And as far as I know, Marconi's (of radio fame) mother was a Jameson!

I would imagine that the condemnation or otherwise in the Dail of "ascendancy" figures did not in the least deter the drinking of their produce!! :D :)
Gearóidmuar

Postby RogerB » Mon May 12, 2008 8:05 pm

Gearóidmuar wrote:I drink lots of Scotches as well. At the moment I have JW Black, Green. Laphroaig, Caol Ila, Lagavullin, Talisker (yum) Aberlour (not great), Arran (Fab), Cragganmore, Glenkinchie, Glenfiddich and maybe more. I never drink the same one twice in a row. Were I to, it would be Jameson 12.

Which of the "Cragganmore, Glenkinchie, Glenfiddich"
expressions do you have(the 12yr or other?)
It's interesting that you drink JW, in that most single malt guys would scoff at that. I have yet to try the JW Green and can't remember if I've ever had the Black. I know that I've had Red(yuck) and Blue(which was quite good, but expensive). The Jameson 12 is fantastic too, by the way.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby Gearóidmuar » Mon May 12, 2008 11:01 pm

The reason that the single malt guys scoff at the JW black is that they've been conned into believing that there's something magical about single malts. Why would there be?
You can get a more complex taste by blending. Most of the great wines are blends. All of the great Irish whiskies are blends.
Tried blindfolded, most whisky "experts" can not only not distinguish between many single malts, but cannot tell single malts from blends. This was a paper published in the Lancet or British Medical Journal when I was working in England, which was 1981 to 1984. Doctors (English) became pissed off with Scots b**********g about whisky and tested them. They nae did great. I think it was in St.Thomas' Hospital.
I can certainly distinguish between the distinctively tasting whiskies. My wife tests me from time to time. These would include Paddy, Jameson 12yr old, Aberlour, Laphroaig and maybe Tyrconnell. I could not reliably distinguish the other Islay whiskies and probably could not tell them fro m Talisker.
Speysides tend to have much the same taste as one another as well.

It's a very interesting thing to try.
When in Scotland a few years ago on a bike trip, I was tasting whiskies with a real whiskey afficianado. I challenged him to identify one I bought. He confidently said it was a Speyside. It was Black Bush. Don't know if I'd do any better.
Gearóidmuar

Postby shulaw05 » Mon May 12, 2008 11:54 pm

this thread inspiried me to try a bottle of redbreast again. it is good, but i'd still put jameson 12 ahead of it. i think the redbreast is a little too sweet for me to drink on a regular basis
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby Le Jock Sportif » Fri May 22, 2009 11:34 pm

Just to be clear here - I have accurately identified Bushmills 10, Ardbeg 10, Talisker 10, Lagavulin 16, Bowmore Surf, and Rosebank 22 in a blindfold taste test (rinsing with water between drams).

I'm not unique in having tastebuds, and IMHO these whiskies are not alike and reasonably easy to identify.
Le Jock Sportif

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder