Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Talisker 10 consistancy

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Talisker 10 Years Old

Talisker 10 consistancy

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:50 am

Your thoughts on the consistancy of Talisker 10. I've seemed to have noticed that the bottles I have had have varied somewhat in taste. The most recent bottle that I inhaled seemed to be a bit hotter and heavier peater, previous bottles I recalled seemed to be less peater and at times and more highlandy tasting.
It could all be inside my head, I'm not perfect (pretty close though) after all I am just mortal in spite of my boundless wisdom that I do so freely bestow on the underserving around here. A thankless task I might add.
But anyway, your thoughts on the Talisker.
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Re: Talisker 10 consistancy

Postby les taylor » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:38 am

It's probably not as consistent as a standard blend. It's taste is of an Island scotch. Hope that helps.

Oh and to be consistent it's spelt with an e.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Maakun » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:58 am

JohnyyGuitar wrote:Your thoughts on the consistancy of Talisker 10. I've seemed to have noticed that the bottles I have had have varied somewhat in taste. The most recent bottle that I inhaled seemed to be a bit hotter and heavier peater, previous bottles I recalled seemed to be less peater and at times and more highlandy tasting.

It's all in your head, these flavours aren't really there... Just drink some JWR...
Maakun

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:04 pm

If it was easy to drink single malts we'd all be stupid, think about that.........
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:58 pm

I can't say I've noticed much variation. It's as much to do with when you drink/nose, how you feel, what else you have been eating/smelling etc.
I find that a dram, when cooking, changes its taste from the first mouthful to last.
As long as you enjoy it, that's all that counts :thumbsup:
Deactivated Member

Postby jazz lover » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:38 pm

LES BEHAVE !!
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby Gov » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:02 pm

I think you may be used to the Talisker park of JWR which is masked by several other malts and grain, so it may be be a bit to complex on its own. Give it some time though :P
Gov
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:10 pm

I have definitely noticed differences from bottle to bottle. Even tasting one bottle against another .... one quite low on the pepper with a good honey overtone while the other had the Pepper but still not as much as I was expecting and as JG says some extra peat.

I reckon that the batches with less pepper actually may contain more old whiskies in it (say 10-16yo) while the brasher peppery ones may very well only contain 10-12 yo whiskies. Just a thought.

The reason I say this is because I prefer the 10yo to 18yo for the fact that it does contain more of that pepper attack which I love :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Ganga » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:05 pm

Crieftan wrote:I can't say I've noticed much variation. It's as much to do with when you drink/nose, how you feel, what else you have been eating/smelling etc.
I find that a dram, when cooking, changes its taste from the first mouthful to last.
As long as you enjoy it, that's all that counts :thumbsup:

Criefy, long time no dram.

I've found that even without changing the environment, a whisky can change through the evening. It's difficult to explain some of these experiences but I'd suggest that a whisky can build on itself.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:54 pm

i agree with the comments about how whisky can change due to environment/mood etc...and even from sip to sip!

However i would definitely agree with JGuitar, in that my latest bottle of Talisker 10 was markedly mellower from first dram to the one i'd previously finished, which if memory serves me well was both a touch sweeter, AND more fiery. My current one seems to be less complex too. V. nice, but...lacking something compared to the last bottle.

And in my experience that seems to be the case with all single malts...it's the nature of the beast, and some blends too. The JW gold I eventually bought wsn't a patch on the drams i'd tried in bars - the JWB is far more fun!

the point is, with so many whiskies to choose from, a good blender should theoretically be able to gain more consistency than batches from one distillery. All whisky, as we know, is subject to the elements...and not even a master distiller can control the weather!

Hmmm...i have to say, Ardbeg 10 has been pretty consistent overall over the last 5 years. Lag 16 took a bit of a dip - the last dram I had a few weeks ago, from a new bottle at one of my gigs, was just great! nose and palate firing on all cylinders...

So it's not just Talisker 10, but yes, JG, quite a difference between my last 2 bottles of this one!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:20 pm

RB, I can't say that I've observed this in the Talisker line as it has been sometime since I've had the 10. However, the Laphroaig 10 seems a little less intense on the peat/smoke and more fuitier than the bottle from several years ago.

Has there been a change at Talisker in the master blender? I believe that has been the case at Laphroaig. This also could add a subtle change to the newer products.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:23 pm

No idea. My experience with Talisker was a case of going from one bottle straight to the next. Laphroiag, I agree, got mellower, but the last one I had, given me at Christmas, seems closer to how it was!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby SoMK » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:26 pm

Are we going to see batches in OB like with A'bunadh ?
A talisker 10 batch 65 vs batch 47 ? Now, that will make the tasting notes as readable as flight charts ! :insane:

The major shift in quality I spotted was with the Uigeadail. Quite a difference between actual bottles and the 2002 ones for instance... Now, for research sake, I'll have to open another Talisker 10. *theymademedoit*
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:28 pm

Yes, feel free to razz me guys :P

I know one's taste can vary on a day to day or hour to hour period, but by the time I'm done with a bottle I usually have a general consensous of the bottles offering.

Some here have confirmed what I've noticed. And true it probably happens in most brands, I probably notice it more with Talisker because I drink it on a more regular basis.

Correct me but, I thought Talisker 10 is the Talisker standard and it's just 10 year whiskey in the bottle, is it vatted with other years ?

And the natural variables in whiskey making is one point addressed in 'blending' - I do find my JWR much more consistant.

It's also amazing the a lunk like me would even taste any variation in a Talisker :shock:

Come to think of it, it takes the best amoung the best of scotch tasters to be a blender, and make blended scotch - what's with that, the top tongues in the business making and drinking blended scotch - the nerve of some people.
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:18 pm

JohnyyGuitar wrote:Correct me but, I thought Talisker 10 is the Talisker standard and it's just 10 year whiskey in the bottle, is it vatted with other years ?

It could be anything 10 or over JG. The bulk of it will be 10 because they won't want to use more expensive whisky in it than they can help, but to achieve something like consistency in the vatting they will put in what they think it needs. The age statement just means not less than ...
Willie JJ

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:54 pm

I've tried the Talisker 10 bottled in 1998, 2002, and 2006 side-by-side. I'm not necessarily the greatest at tasting and nosing, but my general impressions: Each one has the distinct Talisker characteristics and the differences were not great. With that said, the 1998 had more smoke/peat than the two younger ones and the Talisker pepperiness was more distinct. Between the 2002 and 2006 the pepperiness was similar but the 2002 had a slight more smokiness to it. Each was very acceptable and would make Talisker proud, but the 1998 had a bit more character.

Cheers - Bob
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:46 am

willie jj wrote;
It could be anything 10 or over JG. The bulk of it will be 10 because they won't want to use more expensive whisky in it than they can help, but to achieve something like consistency in the vatting they will put in what they think it needs. The age statement just means not less than ...

Hum.........interesting, thanks for the insight :)
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:47 pm

Yes, it can change over time but is very good once again. But the six Classics Malts have changed over time also.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby jimidrammer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:06 pm

While the "map box" bottling was more peppery, the "stone box" and the new "blue box" were not distinguishable. I think I like the newest just fine.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby clicker7 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:20 pm

I think I have been finding a lot of variation in a lot of malts this past year.

I was tasting the last of an old bottling of Highland Park 12, side by side, to the new bottling, and the older HP12, was sweeter, maltier, heather,smokier and more complex than the new bottling.

Macallan is another one that I have not had a really good 12yr/sherry since they went to the new bottling (2yrs.?).

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby Yellowjacket » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:21 am

Collector57 wrote:
clicker7 wrote:I think I have been finding a lot of variation in a lot of malts this past year.

I was tasting the last of an old bottling of Highland Park 12, side by side, to the new bottling, and the older HP12, was sweeter, maltier, heather,smokier and more complex than the new bottling.

Macallan is another one that I have not had a really good 12yr/sherry since they went to the new bottling (2yrs.?).

Joseph

Joseph - no imagination there. My contrast was the dumpy bottling to the latest HP. Both 12 and 18 were much smoother and more complex in the dumpy bottling

Is this what you are calling "dumpy bottle" for HP?

Thanks - Bob
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Postby clicker7 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:05 am

: Talisker 10 consistancy

by Yellowjacket on Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:21 pm
Collector57 wrote:
clicker7 wrote:
I think I have been finding a lot of variation in a lot of malts this past year.

Joseph - no imagination there. My contrast was the dumpy bottling to the latest HP. Both 12 and 18 were much smoother and more complex in the dumpy bottling

Yellow Jacket:

Yes-- that's the good stuff. I bet the 25 yr. old is especially yummy!

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby Yellowjacket » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:17 am

clicker7 wrote:
: Talisker 10 consistancy

by Yellowjacket on Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:21 pm
Collector57 wrote:
clicker7 wrote:

Yellow Jacket:

Yes-- that's the good stuff. I bet the 25 yr. old is especially yummy!

Joseph

Joseph - Thanks for the info. I managed to find two of each of the "dumpy" bottles here in Houston. I've opened one of each expression, what you see above is my reserve :D . The 25 is spectacular! I agree with Collector57, these '90s bottlings are much better than the current ones.

Bob
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Postby clicker7 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:45 am

C57, and Bob: I am jealous... they never have the 25 out here in Seattle-- it's gotta be delicious!

I love the older bottles too, I wish they still used them. They have a great feel to them when you pour a dram!

The closest bottles now are Aberlour A'bunadh, and Double Cask.

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby mikeymad » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:13 pm

Yellowjacket wrote: I agree with Collector57, these '90s bottlings are much better than the current ones.

Bob

I am not so sure, the brand new bottlings of the 25yo, is very very good. Better than the last 25 to me, and up to par with the dumpy one (from my distant memory). Need to look into an older one again.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby mikeymad » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:38 pm

sorry.....
mikeymad

Postby mikeymad » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:03 pm

nice....

You just gave me an idea that I need to implement.

To be opened shelf.

I have my monster rack of 200 bottles, but they are hidden behind each other. And there are beverages in there that I need to try, but I never seem to get to them. I have a shelf of my opens (about 40 right now).

I should start a shelf of need to open: upcoming tastings, distilleries that I own (but have not tried), discovery beverages to see if I like it and may want more, just to yummy I can't stand it..... etc.

I may have some fun tonight when I get home.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:57 am

I have my monster rack of 200 bottles,

Hum, even at $50 per bottle that's $10,000. So I'm thinking 400 bottles = $20,000 = new car, or 4000 bottles = $200,000 = new house = a bathtub full of scotch, interesting to think about.
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:22 am

JohnyyGuitar wrote:Your thoughts on the consistancy of Talisker 10. I've seemed to have noticed that the bottles I have had have varied somewhat in taste. The most recent bottle that I inhaled seemed to be a bit hotter and heavier peater, previous bottles I recalled seemed to be less peater and at times and more highlandy tasting.
It could all be inside my head, I'm not perfect (pretty close though) after all I am just mortal in spite of my boundless wisdom that I do so freely bestow on the underserving around here. A thankless task I might add.
But anyway, your thoughts on the Talisker.

LOL, your hubris made me laugh out loud.

Talisker 10 is one of my favourite SMSs' in terms of value for dollar. It is one I repeatedly buy. I am about to write a thread about the 10 yo VS the 1992 DE.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Talisker 10 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder