Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie 10 no more.....

General chat and talk about whisky.

Balvenie 10 no more.....

Postby Leither » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:03 pm

I know this has been discussed, again and again, in some depth in many threads but I just read this and thought I'd raise the issue once again:

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/produc ... 0000037517

It appears Balvenie 10 is no more (according to RMW anyway) and being replaced by the 'Balvenie 12 Signature' - a vatting of fresh and refill bourbon with sherry casks. I'm unsure where this leaves the 12yo DW within their range - is this going too?

One thing I know for sure is that Balvenie 10/FR will be missed by many so my advice, if you like it, is to stock up now.
Leither
Gold Member

Re: Balvenie 10 no more.....

Postby les taylor » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:40 pm

Here is an interesting point from Leither's source.

This is Batch 1, get it while its hot!

It's going to be released in batches at £30 a time. Hmm..
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:43 pm

Sounds Familiar

Abunadh anyone?
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:46 pm

les taylor wrote:It's going to be released in batches at £30 a time. Hmm..

seems a reasonable price for a batch :)
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby fishboy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Willie JJ wrote:seems a reasonable price for a batch :)

Depends on how many bottles in a batch..... :wink:

PC 6 was a limited release of only "18000" bottles :o
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby woodhill » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:11 pm

Its still going to be available in US until 2009./

The big question is, is there going to be a big price crash on the 10 like we have seen with other discontinued malts?
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:17 pm

woodhill wrote:Its still going to be available in US until 2009./

The big question is, is there going to be a big price crash on the 10 like we have seen with other discontinued malts?

It's still £20 in Sainsbury's as far as I'm aware.
Deactivated Member

Postby Newbie » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:06 pm

Yup still £20 at Sainsbury's, just picked up another bottle!

But it looks to me the Balvenie is slowly creeping up in price!
Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:43 pm

I reckon the DW will go as soon as the new Signature takes off.
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Bob O. » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:46 pm

I hate it when a Distillers Website doesn't even have current information. :headbang: I don't see the Signature anywhere.
Bob O.
Bronze Member

Postby woodhill » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:57 pm

If you log into the member part of the site it says about the FR being stopped.

I have pasted it here if you can't log in

I've heard that The Balvenie Founders Reserve Ten Year Old is being discontinued - is this true?
Yes, after much careful consideration we've decided to gradually retire The Balvenie Founder's Reserve 10 Year Old from our range of Balvenie Single Malt Scotch Whiskies, from January 2008.
Founder's Reserve has been a popular member of our award-winning range for many years. But part of what makes The Balvenie so special is our constant search for new expressions through experimentation with different woods, ages and marriages.
We've been truly astonished by the reaction of Balvenie enthusiasts to our limited edition and rare and vintage releases. The most recent example was The Balvenie SherryOak 17 Year Old, which has already caused a bit of a stir. However our tradition of experimentation means we sometimes have to let old friends
Our stock of The Balvenie is limited and very precious, which means that as much as we'd like to, we simply can't keep expanding the Balvenie range. By retiring our 10 year old and saving stock for older expressions, we'll have new freedom to explore and craft new and exciting additions to our highly prized range of Speyside single malts.
It'll still be possible to buy The Balvenie Founder's Reserve 10 Year Old while stocks last. We're reserving much of our stock for the USA where it sells the most, but a small amount will be available elsewhere. We anticipate that Founder's Reserve will finally disappear from shelves the world over in 2009.

woodhill
Gold Member

Postby lincoln imp » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:40 pm

I think its a great shame as the Founders Reserve is superior to the DW. Anyone know why they stopped it. All i know is that there was hardly any difference in price so i suppose it would make sense to only produce one? :?
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:55 pm

Me, I love the DW but didn't care all that much for the FR. I like a good vatting of bourbon and sherry casks.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:58 pm

One further thought. I would think that the Founders Reserve people wouldn't necessarily switch to the DW but rather the 15 yo single barrels as they will have a more similar profile.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Bob O. » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:59 pm

Ganga wrote:Me, I love the DW but didn't care all that much for the FR. I like a good vatting of bourbon and sherry casks.

It will be interesting how the 12 Signature compares to the DW.
Bob O.
Bronze Member

Postby Apollo11 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:05 pm

I am sad to see this one go too. It's a good everyday whisky--good value and enough complexity to keep me happy after work or after a day of doing whatever. I hate to see something in the lower price range go away as it allows peolpe to experience a good distillery at a price where the wife won't get too upset.

I hope the Sigignature is not going to break the bank and Balvenie continues to have whisky at different price points.
Apollo11

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:24 pm

Nothing really strange here--just the same sort of makeover every malt goes through periodically. It's all dependent on what's in the warehouse, and where they want to take it (which includes marketing strategy). Of course it will cost more--everything does.

If the core expression goes up in age, I take that as a sign that there is plenty of good stock in the warehouse.
Deactivated Member

Postby jimidrammer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:17 pm

The two are really not that different according to the blurb that comes in the tube. The FR is "a marriage of Bourbon Casks and Sherry Casks". I assume both matured for ten years.The DW is "matured in Bourbon for a period then transfered to Sherry". Depending on how long for each, it's not "finished" in the Sherry so it's about equal parts of each, whereas the FR is equal parts mixed together. Can anyone shed some light on this distinction and its results? I like them both, but still prefer the pure Bourbon Cask 15yo Single Barrel. Never had a bad Balvenie. :wink:
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder