Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

BEER WITH WHISKY???

All your whisky related questions answered here.

BEER WITH WHISKY???

Postby JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:57 am

Hi,
A probably crazy idea came to my mind:
As whisky is kind of distilled beer, what about a mix of whisky with beer? Before I try that, is there anybody out there who experienced such a mix? The question is which whisky would suit to which beer and what amount of whisky to take. I think it should not be too much.

All Scotch purists please don't hate me!

Juerg
JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN

Postby Aidan » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:12 am

Powers with a Guinness chaser is nice, although I wouldn't mix them in the same glass.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby r0b » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:56 am

I was going to write:

Jameson is the best whisky to have with beer.

but then I realised you mean IN beer.

Well, if the choice is whisky & Coke and whisky & beer, theoretically I think the latter will make me puke a bit less.

Seriously, I don't think it's THAT crazy an idea. Less so than "whisky & cheese", as seen in a recent edition of Whiskymag... ;P

When all is said and done, we won't know until we've tried and if there are more ways to enjoy whisky than neat or with a splash of water - hoo-fucking-ray! - I'll try it in a heart-beat.

[This message has been edited by r0b (edited 17 April 2003).]
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Ize » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:10 am

There are plenty of names for drink that goes to this beer with whisky. "Submarine" is the name I know best. Drink is built with large/tall glass of beer in which is dropped small glass fulfilled with whisky. Idea is to watch howthe whisky glass slowly goes in to bottom of the large/tall beer glass ... like diving submarine (some use name Titanic with this drink too). Well, I use to like that drink as a youngster but ... now when my taste buds have developed and I'm more into whisky itself, I find that drink quite awful. Image

Kippis,
Ize

P.S. Only good reason for that drink that I can come up with, at least in Finland in the old days, was to get more alcohol into beer due to high taxes for beers with higher alcohol levels. With that drink you got cheaper stonger beer in the bars.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:48 am

A whisky in a beer was always called a boilermaker when I was young and rash enough to drink them, and if the whisky was still in a glass, it was a depth charge. A whisky alongside your beer was a half and half. Whatever you calloed it, it all amounted to the same - loony juice. Not as bad as Buckfast Tonic Wine with whisky, though. Now that is a BAD drink.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:13 pm

There is a commercial product called Magreggor I think from Belgium, I will get some and report back a tasting note
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby ceedeedoos » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:14 pm

never heard of it (being from belgium) ... must have a look around for it (not that I really want to taste it :-D)
ceedeedoos

Postby coltrane » Thu May 01, 2003 11:02 pm

yes indeed. Here in the states we have a drink that Gate mentioned called the boilermaker. You drop a shot glass full of bourbon (or whaterver whisk(e)y really) in a glass 3/4 full of guinness (or your other preference for beer, really). It's not a bad drink, but for people (like me) that enjoy the taste of whiskey AND the taste of beer separately, it kind of takes away from the thrill. It's a college (university) thing. We Americans do a ton of stupid stuff.
coltrane

Postby old rarity » Sat May 17, 2003 7:22 am

That is interesting. I thought a boilermaker was a whiskey chased by a beer (drunk in succession). Practices change, I guess, a few years ago in New York I saw a "half and half" ordered which was Guinness layered onto Bass Ale, ie. not all blended as half and half (the beer mixture) was in the U.K. but "two-tone" as it were. Scotland originally had famous dark rich ales but they were largely supplanted by lager beers, lager having been introduced very early into Scotland (at Alloa), years before it took over in England too, finally. One would not expect that to happen in a cold country. I think it did because used as a chaser to whisky, lager is more suitable than dark ale. Ale (what the English still call "beer") is arguably too rich, too similar to malt whisky to be a good chaser whereas lager beer is the perfect foil. Americans discovered this years ago. While again drinking practices alter I am sure in many U.S. bars one still sees a shot of whiskey (neat) followed quickly by a light chilled lager (Bud or similar).

[This message has been edited by old rarity (edited 17 May 2003).]
old rarity

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder