Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Compare the Bowmore 17 and 18 for me?

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Bowmore 17 Years Old

Compare the Bowmore 17 and 18 for me?

Postby mithril » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:17 am

Not having had either I'm wondering if there's a significant difference between the two? The 17 is of course discontinued now but there is still a couple available bottles so I could get my hands on some. Is there enough difference between the 2 bottlings to justify getting some transfered to a local store or are the similar enough to just buy the 18 and be done with it? Thanks for your input!!
mithril
Bronze Member

Re: Compare the Bowmore 17 and 18 for me?

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:51 pm

buy 17yo to collect dust and the 18 to drink!
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:38 pm

The 17 was really rather special - it would be a shame not to open it and I doubt it will ever become life changingly valuable.
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:58 pm

Both Bowmore, both good.Both delicious in different ways.
17 to me more "pure" tasting. drier...more "traditional" tasting, maybe.

18 richer, more toffee - ish.tastes "finished" to me. Can't complain though. I've had a few "free " samples and would like to afford a bottle...

Of the old "official" line, 12, 15 Mariner,Darkest, 17 probably the best...extra age gave it a subtelty.

Would say a big 'yess' to either...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby WhiskyBrat » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:56 pm

mithril wrote: The 17 is of course discontinued now but there is still a couple available bottles so I could get my hands on some.

It's not discontinued it's a duty free exclusive now, saw loads of it in Gatwick the other day.
WhiskyBrat
Bronze Member

Postby WhiskyBrat » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:00 pm

In fact I took a picture of it. Sad life I have.
WhiskyBrat
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:19 pm

Are they the same whisky - the one on the right in the "old" box, and the others?

The "old " darkest and the "new" 15 YO "darkest' are quite different - the new one being even sweeter than the 18.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby WhiskyBrat » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:32 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Are they the same whisky - the one on the right in the "old" box, and the others?

The "old " darkest and the "new" 15 YO "darkest' are quite different - the new one being even sweeter than the 18.

They are identical.
WhiskyBrat
Bronze Member

Postby mithril » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:52 pm

Thanks for the input all!

WhiskyBrat wrote:It's not discontinued it's a duty free exclusive now, saw loads of it in Gatwick the other day.

Well it might as well be discontinued as there's not a lot of good travel retail shopping in North America, the unfortunately by-product of having a continent comprised of only 3 countries :(

adogranonthepitch wrote:buy 17yo to collect dust and the 18 to drink!

Whisky is meant to be drunk and enjoyed, not collected ;)
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:27 pm

mithril wrote:Well it might as well be discontinued as there's not a lot of good travel retail shopping in North America, the unfortunately by-product of having a continent comprised of only 3 countries :(

Sigh. :roll: I guess that Panama, Nicaragua, Belize and the others are relieved to be in South America.

PS. I'm still wondering if Rugby, ND is the geographic center of North America or if the United States Geological Survey (GS) is geographically challenge. At the displaypoint, only three flags are flown thus my suspicions about the GS.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:28 pm

PSS. Still can find plenty of the 17 down in my neck of the woods and I'm working on traveling up to Bellingham, WA this summer. :)
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mithril » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:58 pm

Ganga wrote:Sigh. :roll: I guess that Panama, Nicaragua, Belize and the others are relieved to be in South America.

As it turns out the definitions are pretty fuzzy anyways. Looks like Greenland, Bermuda and France (via St. Pierre and Miquielon) are the more common definition with Mexico lumped in with Central America. Regardless there's still not alot of travel retail shopping in and out of North America from my experience, certainly not compared to what you see in Europe where border crossing is a much more frequent occurrence. NZ actually has the regs I've come across in terms of "liberal" allowances.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby mithril » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:02 pm

Ganga wrote:PSS. Still can find plenty of the 17 down in my neck of the woods and I'm working on traveling up to Bellingham, WA this summer. :)

Luckily there's still some in the BC stores as well, just not alot in my area. I was just looking for opinions before I initiate a store transfer request.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:13 pm

Point 1: NA, SA, Antartica, Australia (although it is sometimes argued that this is an island), Africa, Asia and Europe (again, argurment that this is really Eurasia). Nope, no Central America among the continents.

I'm looking at travelling to Washington in June or July. If at the time you are still interested in some Bowmore, let me know at that time and I can bring it northward for you, or some of the other Canadian brethren near Vancouver.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mithril » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:13 am

Ganga wrote:Point 1: NA, SA, Antartica, Australia (although it is sometimes argued that this is an island), Africa, Asia and Europe (again, argurment that this is really Eurasia). Nope, no Central America among the continents.

Didn't mean to imply that Central America was a continent. However while technically part of North America they are still much more related to the South America culturally and geographically (and I bet their selection of travel retail whisky is even worse than Canada's to keep within the context of the current discussion). Continental divisions are arbitrary anyways, which is why descriptors like Central America or Oceania (all of the southern sea islands including Australia) are much more accurate.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby OKDiver1 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:14 am

[quote="Ganga]
Sigh. :roll: I guess that Panama, Nicaragua, Belize and the others are relieved to be in South America.
[/quote]

El Salvador, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Honduras would be the other 4. Panama is kind of in-between, technically astride the 2 continents.
OKDiver1
Silver Member

Related whiskies : Bowmore 17 Years Old

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder