Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Redbreast 15yo & 12yo

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Redbreast 15yo & 12yo

Postby cathach » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:08 am

I tasted Redbreast 15yo there tonight; and I knew as soon as the spirit touched my tongue that I would have to tell someone or even better, a group of like-minded persons.

Where do I start?
Nose:
Playful and sherried; think Christmas cake or that illicit under the mistle-toe kiss with that hot third-cousin you've always fancied.

Taste:
Imagine a pound pot of chilli marmalade banging you on the teeth. For the first time I understand what a whiskey writer says when he says you could break your teeth on the malt. Spicy and fruity all the way through.

Finish:
That pot of spicy marmalade gives you another few clatters on the tonsils, accompanied with (dare I say it) a smooth lingering awareness that you may have to have the key to the bottle kept far away from your grasping mitts....

P.S. That oily linseed texture roots around your adenoids before making free with your fridge, your wallet and your beer.

Ladies and gentlemen forgive my verbosity, but I just fell in love with a pirate; who knew she'd be from Cork...........
cathach
Silver Member

Re: Redbreast 15yo & 12yo

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:09 am

Hi Cathach and thanks for the notes, but would you like to elaborate on that third cousin?

:lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby DavidH » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:18 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:would you like to elaborate on that third cousin?

And does she have a sister?

Thanks for the notes. I'm going to go back to the bottle later to hunt down that spicy marmalade.

Are you planning a comparison with 12yo? That would be interesting.
Last edited by DavidH on Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:44 am

I'd be careful about kissing your third cousin if you've a pound of hot chilli marmalade pounding on your teeth. There's be a trail of incontrovertible evidence leading right to your door.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Leither » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:50 am

Great stuff cathach, well done - those are the best tasting notes I've read around here in quite some time :thumbsup:

I've never had the pleasure of trying the RB15 myself, only RB12 which is excellent and I get the sense that RB15 is a good bit better.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby cathach » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:10 pm

The RB15yo is a quite different animal, the un-chill filtering has meant (I think) that the pure pot still character really comes through. It has a really vigorous, spicy and fruity character. It's really gorgeous stuff.
cathach
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder