Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Heads up - incoming HP

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Heads up - incoming HP

Postby r900p » Wed May 14, 2008 12:25 pm

Just been on Highland Park's website, there is a new 19 yr limited bottling, celebrating Queen of the South's FC Cup Final, limited to 89 and priced at £99 seems a tad steep when the 18 is half, but it is far more limited.

Only other downside is the fact that the label doesn't appear to make reference to HP.

See link below

http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/shop/whisky.asp

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Re: Heads up - incoming HP

Postby Willie JJ » Wed May 14, 2008 1:29 pm

At 89 bottles its definitely one for the collectors. I tend not to buy stuff like that as it deprives collectors and I would just drink it. Also it is steep for a 19 yo dram.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed May 14, 2008 9:49 pm

I'd buy a bottle, except they don't post outside the U.K.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby r900p » Wed May 14, 2008 10:37 pm

I thought that about the bottlings numbers but figured it must be 89.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby sievm » Thu May 15, 2008 12:00 am

89 bottles would be very limited and allowing 2 bottles per order seems to suggest it might be more than 89 bottles - there are more than 45 QofS supports (just!).

The label doesn't have a bottle number on it which seems odd for an 89 bottle run.

Seeing as the Ambassador Cask 3 (35cl) was £99 then this seems to be in the same price range though. Plus this event is unlikely to happen again.
sievm
Bronze Member

Postby martin grant » Thu May 15, 2008 1:03 pm

Not entirely sure I understand why a distillery from Orkney is releasing a commerative bottle to celebrate a team from Dumfries reaching the Scottish Cup Final.

:?:
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Redland Hill » Thu May 15, 2008 1:08 pm

Apparenlty the reason for 89 is that Queen of the South have been in existance for 89 years, and a 19 year old because they were formed in 1919.

Its in the same bottle as the 30 year old, same box too as well as the same ABV.

It looks like its all gone
Redland Hill

Postby Redland Hill » Thu May 15, 2008 1:09 pm

... and I meant to say, the head honcho at Eddrington is a Queen of the South Supporter which is how it came about
Redland Hill

Postby martin grant » Thu May 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Thanks for explanation Redland Hill, and welcome to the forums
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 15, 2008 2:42 pm

martin grant wrote:Not entirely sure I understand why a distillery from Orkney is releasing a commerative bottle to celebrate a team from Dumfries reaching the Scottish Cup Final.

:?:

Notwithstanding the footballing loyalty of the head honcho at Edrington, I'm surprised the whisky isn't being sold through the QoS supporters club or club shop rather than to fast-fingered collectors on the HP website...
Deactivated Member

Postby Redland Hill » Fri May 16, 2008 11:21 pm

I was lucky enough to get through in time and order a couple of bottles, one to keep for our first due on 24th June and one to consume. Unfortunatley I got a call this afternoon from Highland Park to say they have been inundated with orders and now they can only offer me one.

I understand the wish to let as many get a bite of the cherry as possible, but Im still hacked off ... anyone else get the call
Redland Hill

Postby whiskyandice » Fri May 16, 2008 11:51 pm

Redland Hill wrote:I was lucky enough to get through in time and order a couple of bottles, one to keep for our first due on 24th June and one to consume. Unfortunatley I got a call this afternoon from Highland Park to say they have been inundated with orders and now they can only offer me one.

I understand the wish to let as many get a bite of the cherry as possible, but Im still hacked off ... anyone else get the call

i got through too but i was at work all day today so i would have missed the phone call but how can they only give you one when you bought two when it clearly says two per order.What time did you get your order in at "Redland Hill"
whiskyandice

Postby vitara7 » Sat May 17, 2008 2:10 am

well i was quick enough and got myself one of them, to be honest, im surprised they were even offering two per person on the web site with the numbers, but as i only have one collection, and not into selling on ebay, i only ordered the one bottle.

the bloke on the phone said they havent recived them down at them, and wasnt even sure if it had been bottled yet or not, so im not expecting it anytime soon.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby enzot » Sat May 17, 2008 4:16 pm

I just missed out on this one.
Would anyone who managed to get one be interested in a sale or swap ?

Cheers
Enzo..
enzot

Postby vitara7 » Sat May 17, 2008 7:46 pm

being honest, if i didnt have one, id dred to think what this is gonna be going for on ebay when folk start puting it on.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Redland Hill » Sun May 18, 2008 11:40 pm

Whiskyandice I got through about 1pm on the Wednesday.

Guess its only fair as many paeople get one as possible, but as somoene else in the thread said they shouldnt have offered 2 per person, certainly not when they were only doing 89.

As for the price, given the rebus is doing £1000+ and theres 160 of them, I would think this would end up selling for more on Ebay.
Redland Hill

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 18, 2008 11:43 pm

The Rebus and others won't always be at high prices if HP keeps churning out limited editions for no obvious reason. The Rebus bottle did benefit from quite a lot of free newspaper publicity, but that will be forgotten in time.
Deactivated Member

Postby whiskyandice » Mon May 19, 2008 12:03 am

Redland Hill wrote:Whiskyandice I got through about 1pm on the Wednesday.

Guess its only fair as many paeople get one as possible, but as somoene else in the thread said they shouldnt have offered 2 per person, certainly not when they were only doing 89.

As for the price, given the rebus is doing £1000+ and theres 160 of them, I would think this would end up selling for more on Ebay.

yeah i agree they put it on as two per order then back track when their was such a demand on them which was always going to be the case how do they dish them out fairly now when you could phone and order online they wont know who was where in the queue :?
whiskyandice

Postby r900p » Mon May 19, 2008 12:32 am

They told me it was an internet only thing!

So where is the Rebus for sale at? Thats one bottle i'd love to look at, but would never ever want to own. Is it an old vintage.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby sievm » Mon May 19, 2008 3:55 pm

Rob,

The Rebus was never on sale - it was only given away in competitions and other marketing fun and games which probably accounts for the high prices.

http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/whisky/rebus20/history.asp

Cheers,

Malcolm.
sievm
Bronze Member

Postby enzot » Mon May 19, 2008 4:17 pm

I'am not so sure about it going for the same price as the Rebus 20.As stated it was never on sale to the public.

The Ambassador Cask 3 33 Y.O sold for £95 per 35cl and only 372 half bottles were produced = 186 bottles.
The price this is going for should give a better idea.

Cheers
Enzo...
enzot

Postby r900p » Tue May 20, 2008 11:20 am

This has now been removed from the website.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Redland Hill » Tue May 20, 2008 10:36 pm

Given the Rebus wasnt available for general sale, that will make it a very sought after bottle, just like bottlings done for distillery staff only such as the Eunsons Legacy or One in a million.

Likewise extremely limited numbers of a bottle also make it very collectable, given this is the most limited bottle HP have ever done (the white label distillery workers give away to celebrate the 18 year old winning in approx 2006 was 100 only) it has to be worth more than the likes of an ambassadors cask 3.

I managed to get one and certainly would value it more than an ambassadors cask 3, of which 372 bottles at 35cl were made.

Perhaps a good marker is to wait and see what appears on auction sites, I dont reckon many will pop up
Redland Hill

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 21, 2008 2:00 pm

I have also managed to acquire this very limited bottle which i can only expect to become one of the most sought after HP's they have produced.

I would consider letting mine go however as iv been after a Kidalton and a Mor for ages but keep getting outbidded :(

David Rae could have been alot greedier in terms of the numbers he asked to be produced so hats off to him. The fact they have been going 89 years since 1919, its mad to think they have never reached a cup final before!!

I can only imagine that expected prices will increase even further if Queen of the South were by some miracle able to win the cup!!

:) :)
Deactivated Member

Postby martin grant » Wed May 21, 2008 2:13 pm

FeisIslay wrote:I can only imagine that expected prices will increase even further if Queen of the South were by some miracle able to win the cup!!

And I've got my fingers crossed hoping for a miracle!

Well done on getting your bottle FeisIslay, and welcome to the forum.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 21, 2008 2:16 pm

martin grant wrote:
FeisIslay wrote:I can only imagine that expected prices will increase even further if Queen of the South were by some miracle able to win the cup!!

And I've got my fingers crossed hoping for a miracle!

Well done on getting your bottle FeisIslay, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks Martin, much appreciated :)

I also have my fingers crossed!! I'l be honest and say im a born and bred Aberdonian but we never deserved to be QOS the way we played. I would love to see QOS pull off a performance like they did against us in the final
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 21, 2008 4:30 pm

FeisIslay wrote:I would consider letting mine go however as iv been after a Kidalton and a Mor for ages but keep getting outbidded :(

Are you honestly suggesting your HP is worth a bottle of Mor and a bottle of Kildalton?

This is a small edition of HP, but it is to commemorate an event that will soon be forgotten and the rate of issue of limited editions these days suggests this will just become a me-too.
Deactivated Member

Postby whiskyandice » Wed May 21, 2008 8:03 pm

who are Queen of the south
COME ON THE RANGERS :lol: :lol: :lol:
whiskyandice

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 22, 2008 10:02 am

Nick Brown wrote:
FeisIslay wrote:I would consider letting mine go however as iv been after a Kidalton and a Mor for ages but keep getting outbidded :(

Are you honestly suggesting your HP is worth a bottle of Mor and a bottle of Kildalton?

This is a small edition of HP, but it is to commemorate an event that will soon be forgotten and the rate of issue of limited editions these days suggests this will just become a me-too.

The Mor was only £350 and 1000 bottles were produced making it much easier to get hold of than this 19 year old for the Cup Final and the Kidalton was only about £100 if i remember correctly.

By your reply Nick i would hazzard a guess you missed out on one of these for your collection. Shame that.

Going by the interest i have had from other collectors, i think these will be alot more sought after than you personally anticipate. Time will tell!

Mon the QOS!!

:D :D
Deactivated Member

Postby r900p » Thu May 22, 2008 10:59 am

Thing is a don't think this has been sent to the rocket place for depsatch yet, so all the hype just keeps building, £800 for this bottles seems bit far to be on par with buying a Mor now, but you never know.

It will be a case of watching ebay and Krugers.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 22, 2008 1:40 pm

£800 may seem a little steap at this moment in time but i would happily put a little wager on because im confident this bottle will become a much sought after number for any HP collector! :)
Deactivated Member

Postby enzot » Thu May 22, 2008 4:31 pm

Welcome Feisile

I have both the Mor and the Kildalton and there's no way I'd even consider a swap for one of these.

I think the Ardbeg 1990 for Fortnum and Mason 300 bottles or the 12 Y.O Laphroaig Oloroso cask for World duty Free 300 bottles would be a fair swap.I also think Ardbeg and Laphroaig are more popular with collectors.

Cheers
Enzo...
enzot

Postby r900p » Thu May 22, 2008 9:03 pm

I'd list them as follows;

Ardbeg
Highland Park
Bruichladdich Laph

Then where would Macallan go?

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby enzot » Fri May 23, 2008 8:57 am

That's true

It always was Macallan as the 1st growth whisky but now we have Ardbeg overtaking ....perhaps a kind of Petrus or Le Pin ?
Just a thought.

Cheers
Enzo...
enzot

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 23, 2008 12:43 pm

FeisIslay wrote:By your reply Nick i would hazzard a guess you missed out on one of these for your collection. Shame that.

I didn't even try for it - I don't collect HP and this looks like a nothing bottle. Just the same as all the other small batches they do, most of which don't even raise a blip on the radar. My concern was that you appeared to be overvaluing your bottle by a factor of 10.

By the by, I do have two bottles of Kildalton which I got for £69 each. I expect I'll drink them - it's rather nice stuff.
Deactivated Member

Next

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder