Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

GLENMORANGIE TRADITIONAL

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Glenmorangie Traditional

GLENMORANGIE TRADITIONAL

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 29, 2008 8:13 pm

Simple question re "Glenmorangie Traditional". Is/was this expression (which I think was sold mainly airside) phased out during Glenmorangie's re-branding?
Deactivated Member

Re: GLENMORANGIE TRADITIONAL

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 29, 2008 8:21 pm

Many thanks. I was through an airport yesterday. Unfortunately, the tax free shopping was closed up through the night. But I'm pretty sure that I saw 'dumpy' litre bottles of this on the discount shelf. A somewhat bland looking beige box that looked as if it was lined with sack-cloth or somesuch. Sound familiar?
Deactivated Member

Postby mikeymad » Thu May 29, 2008 8:46 pm

Hey I got one of those. Got it years ago, have not seen it for a long time since.

Need to open it, The 1L bottle and box are taking up too much space on my sealed shelves.

Any tasting notes out there... ???

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 29, 2008 10:01 pm

Have seen this very recently (Monday, in fact) at a duty-free entering the US from Canada (Quebec). That doesn't really mean anything, though--various odd things linger in stock at some of these places. (This df has some old HP25's, one of which will soon be mine, oh yes it will.) There's a bottle of the Trad somewhere here in the Midden Heap, and I drained one some years ago. I would be very hesitant to share the recollections of a novice malt drinker at this point. I think it was my first cask-strength bottle. I'd have compared it then to a Macallan cs, and I'm sure that's well off-base.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 29, 2008 11:17 pm

Um...I'm not sure. Maybe not that old--at the moment, I can't find the previous one I had. The black wooden box, rather than the plastic tube. 50.7%, I think. A sublime malt, in any case.
Deactivated Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu May 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Collector57 wrote:The "Dumpy" HP 25??? :shock: :shock:
Oh lucky man! :mrgreen: :evil:

That's the one I had. Tapered dumpy bottle in a round wooden tube with an oversized cork @ 53.5% abv. Can anyone compare it to the new flat bottle @ 48.1% abv? I've been contemplating it, but at $194US, it may sit on the back burner until winter.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri May 30, 2008 12:01 am

My preference is towards the 48.1 over the 50.7. Both are exceptional. Also, $194 is a fantastic price for the 25. In my neck of the woods you're looking at closer to $240 or more; one place has the 50.7 for $220.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mikeymad » Fri May 30, 2008 12:24 am

Collector57 wrote:Mikey, Serge gives it 84 points on this page http://www.whiskyfun.com/ArchiveDecember04-2.html#271204

thanks for the reference.. C57...

Looks good enough to drink. :lol:

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby WhiskyViking » Fri May 30, 2008 7:01 am

It's discontinued but quite a number of bottles still hang around in duty-free shops around the world - even here in Norway.

Hopefully Glenmorangie will come up with something new to replace it. I think it's a smashing dram - unfortunaltely my bottle is empty and I havn't got any travel plans that include going through Oslo Airport (whick is the only one carrying it according to the webpage).
WhiskyViking
Bronze Member

Related whiskies : Glenmorangie Traditional

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder